The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Empty Spaces ???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
A few thoughts. First, the illusion isn't that deceptive. Like most base designs, it has a ton of steps, lines and chrome and the obvious black belly of death.

The dancing is atrocious and as for Copperfield as an example of dancers. Let me know the last time you saw him with dancers in his show... I'll be it has an 8 or a 9 in it...

Get with the times!

J
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
Jay I've been performer pro for 29 years but I'm well and truly up with the times and how to use dancers effectively in a magic show.
Before you go shooting your mouth off by telling me to get with the times why don't we see a bit of your show so we can see what your all about?
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I m stunned by some of the openions ...i myself not a fan of big boxes .. but this illusion is really small
its really deceptive and the base is tiny . and the routine ha s anatural progress .
this illusion is build arround a hiding position that makes it really small .. and small makes deceptive
this smaller than jam , and the whole illusion is smaller than oregami ..
I have shown this this to friends compared to jam and mini zag (which I have , puchinger)and many were able to figer out the solution ( more or less).. but with empthy spaces they were destroyed
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1221 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I agree with you 100%, and the use of dancers can definitely enhance a performance. I used four of them in the Vegas round of AGT and worked a well choreographed act thanks to Joanie Spina. They were part of the routine and enhanced the production value while at the same time making the illusion seem larger. (which was a must since I was following a Ferrari Production) My point was not at all aimed at magicians who effectively use dancers in their shows, it was merely aimed at those who find their dancers at Jiggles Gentlemen's Club and use them before and after every single routine for an inornate amount of time and think they have a "Production." There is a difference between those guys and the ones like you. Yours actually help to make the show....others help to break the show. Now a dance number between a magician and his partner works great, provided they both can dance. (I am thinking DC and cocoon/Origami/after hours. I wish I could do that, but unfortunately was not blessed with a rhythm gene. Luckily with a military theme prevalent throught the show no one would expect me to dance. Smile I should have made my post more clear and excluded the real pro's who know how to work dancers into their advantage. Hopefully no offense was taken....I am a big fan of your work and creations.
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
None at all Anderson, like I said I did get what you mean and I agree with you so no worries mate. Cheers and thanks:)
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Illucifer, I was refering to the shadow box effect called Evolution as JOhn mentioned. For some reason I thought it was also called shadow theatre. I think it is a very deceptive prop.

To get back to the Empty spaces illusion, I didn't care much for the presentaion but the prop surely is very deceptive, IMHO much more deceptive than Cube zag or Jam. It is a puzzle effect but a nice one at that!
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Well said
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
Glad some of you like Empty Spaces - I am the inventor and previously offered the illusion for sale when I was building professionally (Oz Illusions). To clarify, Empty Spaces is the tube and blade illusion performed second in the YouTube clip. It has no relationship to the production illusion. It also doesn't require the dancing!

The prop is very small and also assembles really easily and quickly, which were qualities I always valued as a builder. It can be done surrounded and up close too. I think it also has a couple of strong climax points in the routine which can give you multiple applause cues. Sure, it's a tube illusion, but I think (modestly...) that it's about the best of them. What it is not is a re-worked Jam or Kub-Zag illusion, it's very different in operation and method.

I have recently had discussions with Bill Smith about him building this (he already has the rights to build my Evolution which John Taylor has also discussed). If anybody is interested, please contact Bill. I have full plans etc and will turn these over to Bill, who will, I'm sure make improvements of his own!
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
That's really some good news .. do have an idea how much would Bill charge for the illusion .
Rolf Reiner
View Profile
Loyal user
Mallorca - Spain
228 Posts

Profile of Rolf Reiner
The same concept in another shape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLLctNjRHk
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3394 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The "Showgirls of Magic" had it right. Let the beautiful dancers do the whole show. Who needs the magician to point at a box? I always thought Bonnie's show was one of the most enjoyable illusion shows I ever saw.
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Have a brand new EVOLUTION build by Bill Smith for sale.

PM me if interested

ARNO
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 14:14, Rolf Reiner wrote:
The same concept in another shape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLLctNjRHk

You right same concept but different performer. The 180 illusion is phenomenal illusion. Russ is one of the best performers in the world. I remember when Russ put up the first video and shows how was born this illusion.

On the Empty Spaces video the girls dance were great but way to long and boring. Most of you remember when on the America Got Talent show Piers buzzed off Brett and he explained why(he got bored under the dance). His Monroe illusion was good but the dance not his style and I'm sure Brett would never win the Dancing with the Stars.

So if I would have to choose what illusion I would buy first Origami second 180 then Empty Spaces.

Best,

Las
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
The history with Empty Spaces and 180 is this.

I designed Empty Spaces, built a rough prototype to test my method and concept, then did CAD drawings sufficient to get into the workshop with, and took my first order for it. Mark Parker and I were swapping lots of ideas at the time and I showed the idea to Mark who did a really nice rendering of my prop which I then subsequently built. After having seen my design, Mark designed his 180 illusion which incorporated a very similar flowing routine and the same method. Mark shared his initial drawings for 180 with me and I encouraged him to pursue it.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but do want to document that Empty Spaces was first, both designed and built. 180 was designed after I had shared my concept with Mark.
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
Chris Murphy
View Profile
New user
Brisbane, Australia
64 Posts

Profile of Chris Murphy
I must apologise - I've just been informed that Mark's 180 Illusion does not share a method with Empty Spaces. Sincere apologies, I did not mean to lead anybody astray.
Chris Murphy
www.sliceofmagic.com
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Althought I believe both use the same hiding position and 180 is more complicated techno , I'm still a believer and byest to emthy spaces for size and practicality and effect progresion , hopefully ill be able to by one soon .
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
That's what makes the world go around if we all liked the same things then everyone would be clones of each other and the world would be boring. Both Illusions are beautifully made, very deceptive and look a million bucks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Empty Spaces ???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL