The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coloring Sponge Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Has anyone tried to color sponge balls, such as Goshman supersoft balls? The idea I have is to not necessarily create a new color, but to create balls with a custom shade. The shading only needs to be on the surface, but if it ends up needing to be intrinsic, that would not be a problem. I assume the same types of dye used on silks may work with this. I have tried taking various types and brands of markers to the surface of some of these before, none with the desired results.

Any other ideas on how to go about doing this, or input from those that have done this before (or something similar) would be greatly appreciated.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My diminishing sponge balls are dyed together as a batch so as to match the shade differences between the various sizes.
--------------
I took the product off of the market years ago due to shading differences. The only way to solve it was to have Gosh do the color.
-------------
I tried coloring myself by having Pete White dye a batch of sponges for me. They looked great, but the color kept bleeding whenever they were moist ie: in the pocket, in the hand. I had one sponge ball in my pocket that bled so my pocket lining turned red and my pants lining and white socks.
Maybe rit might work, but the secret is the rinse.
--------------------
What are you doing?
If you need dye lot matches, contact me fast, as I am dying a batch this week.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21928 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I doubt that fabric dye will work on sponge, but you want to try it, set the dye with vinegar.

I never tried sponge, but I once dyed paper with Easter egg dye prepared as on the box. It worked great and I still have the paper spring flowers today. Again, the instructions say to put a little vinegar in with the dye and hot water.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Coloring Sponge Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL