The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Has this been aske a few thousand times before? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
336 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Okay, I am looking for the definitive book or DVD on easy to do (non-sleight, maybe self-working) packet tricks, even using gaffed cards. (I have a full deck of DF and DB cards and even a few blank face cards around.) So let me know what you guys think.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Go to the site of Aldo Colombini. Plenty of choice there from his DVD's.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
You could also try Library.com there are some great ebooks available on that site such as the encyclopaedia of card trick that has chapters on both gaffed and non gaffed card tricks. Also Karl Fulves books are great for non gaffed but easy and great tricks.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
The Simon Lovell DVD Packet Killer is a terrific collection of pretty easy to do classic packet tricks, all with gaffs. It comes with all of the gaffs you will need.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
475 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
I would reiterate fvdbeek's suggestion to go to http://www.wildcolombini.com where there are LOTS(!) of options at $10 a shot.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 10:11, Feral Chorus wrote:
I would reiterate fvdbeek's suggestion to go to http://www.wildcolombini.com where there are LOTS(!) of options at $10 a shot.

+1...........

Colombini is the way to go given the criteria. Colombini eschews difficult sleights for diabolical subtlety. For SOME effects you DO need some basic card handling skills such as a control (Colombini teaches quite a few), EC, and f***e.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: Aldo is a GREAT teacher and a GREAT GREAT man. His enthusiasm for the art and his willingness to answer questions makes him a class act. I had the privilege of speaking with Aldo and his wife Rachel (SHE is quite a magician too) and both are EXTREMELY cool.
Axelchen
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
391 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
Paul Hallas, Small But Deadly and the follow-up book, perhaps.

Axel
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thank you for the mention, Axel.But I think my books along with Aldo's DVD tutorials would have trouble fitting the bill: "easy to do (non-sleight, maybe self-working) packet tricks, even using gaffed cards.

Non-sleight? Self-Working? Most often even the gaffed routines use particular counts etc.

Perhaps some of the books by Howard Adams might more closely fit the requirements of packet effects with no sleights and self-working. Hmmm, come to think of it, his contributions are discussed in Still Small Still Deadly.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2011-09-29 12:50, obsidian52 wrote:
Okay, I am looking for the definitive book or DVD on easy to do (non-sleight, maybe self-working) packet tricks, even using gaffed cards (I have a full deck of DF and DB cards and even a few blank face cards around.) So let me know what you guys think

Yup, Colombini is the place to go. Lots of choices. But as already alluded to, you may still want to learn a few slights, Elmsley Count being the main one that will get you a greater variety of card tricks to choose from. As Aldo says, practice while watching TV and you'll have it down in no time!
But Colombini has plenty that are virtually self working. The performance is yours to perfect and polish which is after all, the real magic.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've also got some easy to do gaffed stuff available as downloads on my site:

http://www.cameronfrancismagic.com
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Ditto for Colombini. I respectfully disagree with Paul - Aldo's DVDs fit the criteria, and, BTW, his ESP volume 3 is indeed nothing but Howard Adams tricks. Card Carnival is a fine example but there are others on the website.
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6029 Posts

Profile of motown
You should also check out the Nick Trost DVDs that Aldo has on his site.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 22:20, kerpa wrote:
Ditto for Colombini. I respectfully disagree with Paul - Aldo's DVDs fit the criteria, and, BTW, his ESP volume 3 is indeed nothing but Howard Adams tricks. Card Carnival is a fine example but there are others on the website.


Well at least you disagree respectfully, Mike Smile You're right I was forgetting about the Howard Adams DVD. And even I have an Adams variant on Aldo's "ESP Card Magic" vol. 6 (that originally appeared in "Still Small, Still Deadly"). Aldo has put out so many DVD's it's difficult to keep track.

Perhaps those that have them all can list the DVD's which exclusively feature the packet effects which are self working and require no sleights or false counting, as per the original request:
"the definitive book or DVD on easy to do (non-sleight, maybe self-working) packet tricks".

Until then, I'd say the Howard Adam's books most closely fit the criteria and contain nothing but dozens of easy self working packet effects. But at $10 a time Aldo's DVD's are great value.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Obsidian,

Just in case you may not know, "Paul" is Paul Hallas.

The. Packet. Guru.

Listen to him.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 09:27, Paul wrote:

Perhaps those that have them all can list the DVD's which exclusively feature the packet effects which are self working and require no sleights or false counting, as per the original request:
"the definitive book or DVD on easy to do (non-sleight, maybe self-working) packet tricks".


"Self Working Packet Tricks" is one for sure
"Card Simplicity"
"Let's Go"
The "Aldo On Trost" series has lots of very easy card magic- can't evey one is easy, but as many here know better than myself, Trost had a knack for creating easy to do but clever and magical card tricks. Many require no skill at all. Still need to practice and come up with your own perfomance of course.
check out http://www.wildcolombini.com, look at his DVD's and his card magic section. Lots of descriptions and information. Aldo explains them all in a very fun, casual manner. He leaves nothing out, no guesswok. Plus, his focues is to emphasize magic, fun, performance to your style vs fancy, hard to do stuff (although he can do it all for sure!!).

Hope this helps a bit more.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Each Aldo DVD usually contains ten effects. So some of those mentioned above would give you plenty to work on.

Howard Adams' 666 Mentalism contains 66 effects with 6 cards, Mathcasts Aspellonu contains 144 effects (but I recall one uses books rather than cards). His other books are similar. So these books are also great value, though because of the self working nature and Howard's methods many are predictions and coincidences.

To my mind, some of the best packet effects contain sleights and gaffs, but there are some self working gems.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Quote:
On 2011-10-04 22:47, Paul wrote:
To my mind, some of the best packet effects contain sleights and gaffs, but there are some self working gems.

Yes, just learning the Elmsley Count, which is not too hard frankly, can open up so many possibilites.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Never actually owned these, but another product that is always mentioned in threads such as this are the old ETMCM DVD's by Ammar.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again


- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Axelchen
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
391 Posts

Profile of Axelchen
...ok, sorry for mention your books, Paul, without any skills on cards handling I would also support Howard Adams books or of course Aldos videos (on Trost or Adams). Without any (!) sleight of hands this publications are the way to go. The methods are quite clever thought out, but most, to me, have the minor disadvantage of having not really justified procedures, that make effect happen. Perhaps, if the selling and the framing of the effect are not really elaborated, they could be boring, because of the time you have to spend to go through all the necessary procedures (a very good type of framing a self-working effect can be found on Max Mavens Multiplicity DVD). So, to my opinion, most of the packet-routines demand just a little skill, e.g. common false-counts or common concepts that are not too hard to handle. Therefore I thought your books could be a good starting-point to dive into the world of packet-tricks with the opportunity to develop some more skills on card-handling.
So, I would choose one of your books if I would be interested in packet-tricks, Paul. They are excellent. And not too demanding, I would judge.

All the best,
Axel
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2011-10-05 21:18, Axelchen wrote:
...ok, sorry for mention your books, Paul, without any skills on cards handling I would also support Howard Adams books or of course Aldos videos (on Trost or Adams). Without any (!) sleight of hands this publications are the way to go. The methods are quite clever thought out, but most, to me, have the minor disadvantage of having not really justified procedures, that make effect happen. Perhaps, if the selling and the framing of the effect are not really elaborated, they could be boring, because of the time you have to spend to go through all the necessary procedures (a very good type of framing a self-working effect can be found on Max Mavens Multiplicity DVD). So, to my opinion, most of the packet-routines demand just a little skill, e.g. common false-counts or common concepts that are not too hard to handle. Therefore I thought your books could be a good starting-point to dive into the world of packet-tricks with the opportunity to develop some more skills on card-handling.
So, I would choose one of your books if I would be interested in packet-tricks, Paul. They are excellent. And not too demanding, I would judge.

All the best,
Axel

Please don't apologize for mentioning my books, anyone interested in packet effects should have them! Smile SmileI was simply clarifying that the content was not all self working packet effects. I agree with everything you say in your post above, Axel, and I think I cover the pros and cons of Howard's effects in the fist chapter of 'Still Small, Still Deadly." Howard creates the mechanics, the tools for us to use, but it is what we do with them that counts. As with any trick,there has to be a method/procedure for its accomplishment but just as essential is the presentation and personality of the performer.

One card effect that is a modern classic in the self working packet effect category can be found here, but again, it's not a packet effect book so doesn't fit the criteria of the original posting..
http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pro......9&page=1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Has this been aske a few thousand times before? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL