The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Disrespecting Fred Kaps (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Thanks for the info Pete. I like when you chime in on discussion about Fred Kaps because you knew him well. There was one point in the Sullivan's intro where the audience got restless and he told them to settle down. I think he said quite or something like that.

As far as the trolls that comment on youtube, they seem to be critical of anything "old school". Like people like Criss Angel can do no wrong. When Doug Henning and David Copperfield first came out, their followers wanted to learn the same tricks as they did. They bought books and tried to buy the same tricks. Then they would become magicians and learn to do things their own way. They were good for magic.

Criss Angel’s followers are not interested in magic. They would buy his cards and pentagrams and not magic tricks. They just want to worship him. That’s why he is not good for magic.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
I wouldn't say anything disparaging about Chris Angel myself. I think he's a pretty extraordinary guy and has made magic cool again for a lot of kids. I wonder how many robed conjurers Robert Houdin ticked off by wearing tails and top hat. He's certainly got more kahunas than most. With all of the people in the world now, ignorance is flourishing I'm sure and some of the people he's attracted are bad for magic. What can one do?
Even less known as David Kidd

Baltimore, Md. Curator of

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
My point is that his followers do not do magic, they just worship him as if he has powers, that's the point. And if you have ever met him like I did, you know what a jerk he is. He mistreats those that are extras in his show. A friend and I were so suppose to be featured in one of his episodes and he totally dissed us. He was very mean and then when the cameras came on, his voiced changed and was friendly and nice. What a put-on.

Actually when I met David Copperfield years ago, he wasn't very nice either. But, Copperfield is a very good entertainer. I would pay to see him again and again. I wouldn't give two nickels to have anything to do with Angel again.
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
You might be right, but you can't judge someone by the way they treat their staff, he's the boss and you, as an outsider, have no idea what they have had to deal with that day. As far as changing when the camera is on, that's not being a put-on, THAT IS SHOW BUSINESS! I guess Copperfield is a good entertainer, but for me, I've always found him incredibly goofy and annoying. That being said, I do prefer Copperfield's approach to conjuring and his close-up manipulations are amazing. I think David Blaine is bad for magic. The man looks and talks like he's stoned out of his mind and his presentations are terrible. Everyone that is not a magician thinks he is a joke.

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-04-07 09:51, KIDDMAGIC wrote:
... but for me, I've always found him incredibly goofy and annoying. That being said, I do prefer Copperfield's approach to conjuring and his close-up manipulations are amazing. I think David Blaine is bad for magic. The man looks and talks like he's stoned out of his mind and his presentations are terrible. Everyone that is not a magician thinks he is a joke.

You must be thinking of Doug Henning, not David Copperfield. Copperfield owns his own island, so he must be entertaining.

All the kids like Blaine, I could not believe his following that thinks he is wonderful.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have the opposite feeling about Criss. I have worked for him twice. Both times he was polite, cooperative and did everything asked of him (See my photos in his book "Mindfreak") He also paid quickly and well.
David has been very good in our relationships. Last time I ran into him he still remembered the first time I photographed him, saying it was the best publicity shot he's had.
A lot of this "Hate?" is, IMHO, generational. Older magicians dislike Angel, but youngsters I've talked to really like him. He, like Doug Henning before has inspired many kids to like and get into magic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
Bill, you do realize people have personal preferences and tastes, right? I express my tastes and you think I'm confused? Lord in heaven... I wouldn't think it possible to mistake Copperfield for Henning, especially since I grew up watching them and Copperfield never once said "Welcome to the wonderful world of magic."lol Yes, Copperfield is the single most successful magician of all time and I'm glad he owns an island. His greatest trick was getting Claudia Schiffer to marry him though.

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
David married Schiffer NOT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KIDDMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of KIDDMAGIC
You're absolutely right Mr. Biro. So his greatest trick was getting Clauia Schiffer to sleep with him. lol

THE MAGIC OF BALTIMORE
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
The best response is no response when idiots promote their stupidity in any public forum. Responses only draw more attention to the comment, giving the poster the satisfaction of achieving their goal. And the more responses a posting gets, the higher the posting appears among search results.

If one feels compelled to respond, do it in a separate posting promoting the facts you wish to highlight, or in this case the legend for what he truly is. And turn off the reply capability so the idiots can't tarnish your feedback.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Quote:
On 2013-04-10 13:39, KIDDMAGIC wrote:
You're absolutely right Mr. Biro. So his greatest trick was getting Clauia Schiffer to sleep with him. lol

This is still to be prooven. I remember when they visited Dinseyland Paris for the press and VIP opening of the attraction "Space Mountain - A journey from the earth to the moon", they stayed in the presidential suite of the Disneyland hotel. A houskeeping officer told me after they had left the hotel that the bed in this suite was broken...lol

I didn't see anything, but it could have happened...lol

Anyway, this isn't really important, but I thought a funny thing to tell, if nobody minds.

Oliver.
jethro63
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of jethro63
Watching the clip of Fred Kaps performing the Chinese Sticks on Sullivan is what got me back into magic. Imagine performing a trick that was included in toy magic kits and had its instructions on how to build in those old red hardbound Popular Mechanics books. The Sullivan performance (1964) may have been before that happened (I don't know) but he still performed it in the 70s when almost every magician (and many laymen) knew how it was done.

It was brilliant, you suspended disbelief even though you knew exactly what he was doing and just went along for the ride to enjoy the performance. Below is a Youtube clip of him performing "The Homing Card" and the "Chinese Sticks" in the 70s. He's even better than when he was younger doing them on the Sullivan show. Check out when he looks at the card to check it (3:12). Comedy gold, it kills me every time. He also cracks me up doing the sticks when he says "It's so easy when you know it...and I KNOW IT"

I wish there was a clip of him doing the Chinese Sticks on Sullivan. I have it on an old VHS but wish I could get it off Youtube.

Other Fred Kaps video ("The Homing Card" and the "Chinese Sticks")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNOJK6RVazM
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jetro63, thanks for the reference, been looking for the Kaps Sticks routine for some time. It looks like he was using the Ken Brooke Nemo Chinese Sticks in that video.

There are many ways to easily transfer video tape to digital. The easiest would be to install a Hauppuge Television card with VCR into a desktop computer and simply play the video and record it, it will automatically record it and transfer it to Jpg (Jpeg format) so you can put it on the web or burn to DVD.
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
Bill,
No!
That is incorrect.
The jpg extension is NOT used for video. Jpgs are photos not video.

I routinely transfer from VHS and 8mm tape to DVD.
There are many video formats such as MP4, avi, flv, mov, etc.
Pirouz
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9492 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Old thread but
There are a lot of instances where a live performance does not translate well to a moving medium like Film, Tape and the Zoetrope (just seeing if you’re reading)

There are a lot more instances where a photo of an inexpensive item looks so good you have to buy one.Smile

Shooting live action - the eye takes-in the entire scene whereas, sitting in an audience the eye roams and can be misdirected easier.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, Pirouz wrote:
Bill,
No!
That is incorrect.
The jpg extension is NOT used for video. Jpgs are photos not video.

I routinely transfer from VHS and 8mm tape to DVD.
There are many video formats such as MP4, avi, flv, mov, etc.

Pirouz, looks like you got it wrong as well, it was MPeg1 or 2.

MPeg1 or 2, is best to convert. My television automatically converts to Mpeg1 automatically, as does my Pinnacle.

Although you are only partially correct, as avi is raw and a terrible extension to use, flv is to compressed and losses to much quality. Mov is only for Apple computers.

Pirouz, Nice to have you watching over me, I don't know what I would do without you. You might now consider helping the person who I was responding to.
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Comments like those make me upset. Someone said earlier about people knowing just enough to think they know everything... Smile that's so right.
Its those people that go on youtube for a few hours and then think they know everything about magic...

Homing card...? OBVIOUSLY Rough/Smooth
Diminishing Cards...? OBVIOUSLY hes just doing a double lift Smile (I hope no one has ever said that lol)
"Erdnase Color Change is OBVIOUSLY EASY theres tutorials all over youtube!" Is she trying to embarrass herself? (Ive seen a tutorial on building a helicopter on youtube before, is that easy too???)

Fred Kaps was an amazing performer, end of story.

Ill stay out of the Angel/Blaine/Copperfield thing except to say Bill Malone talks VERY HIGHLY of Blaine in his Lecture (especially saying he has superb practice habits and really works hard). Anything else I could say would just be uninformed opinions Smile

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
jethro63
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of jethro63
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, jethro63 wrote:
Watching the clip of Fred Kaps performing the Chinese Sticks on Sullivan is what got me back into magic. Imagine performing a trick that was included in toy magic kits and had its instructions on how to build in those old red hardbound Popular Mechanics books. The Sullivan performance (1964) may have been before that happened (I don't know) but he still performed it in the 70s when almost every magician (and many laymen) knew how it was done.
Just to clarify this, after a little research I found that the Chinese sticks was tipped in Popular Mechanics in the December 1962 issue. Not sure what the date of his Sullivan performance was, but if he did the sticks on the Beatles broadcast it was February 1964, so the secret was well out by then. Just shows what a great performer can do.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Kaps performed the Homing Card and the Salt Pour on the February 1964 Beatles broadcast.
jethro63
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of jethro63
Fred Kaps' first Ed Sullivan appearance and (according to Ed) first American TV appearance in 1956 (start at 42:45).
https://youtu.be/GB61BHc3dHM?t=2565
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Disrespecting Fred Kaps (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL