We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » *sigh* (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not going to post every time I go out... only when something happens.

Something happened Tuesday.

I had Tuesday off and as it's going to start getting colder, I thought I would grab any day I could and try my luck.
Thayer Street was fairly brisk, although I had trouble getting a crowd to stop, I did have one person on the street give me a $5.
The rest of the hour was spent entertaining people in the window of the pizza place, some of whom did in fact come out and give me money.

Then the patrolman showed up.

He wanted to see my license, which I showed him.
Then he said he wanted to see my "active" license.

???

"This one's expired."

I looked at the license, there was nothing on it about an expiration date so I asked him why he said that.

He pointed to the date the license was issued. "These are only good for a year."

"They told me at the License Board that it didn't expire."

"They're only good for a year."

What could I do? I packed up and started home. Since going home meant passing by City Hall, I stopped in.

"Did you get the officer's name?" The clerk asked.

"Patrolman Dickey, I think. He was walking away while talking and I couldn't hear very well. Badge number xxx." (It's not significant, so there's no need to give it.) That's when I noticed his badge number was actually written on a pad on the counter in front of me.

"Yes. We've already had one peddler complain about him, although that guy turned out to be in the wrong. We're going to contact his Lieutenant, these licenses don't expire."

I asked if I could get a new license typed up that would have "This license does not expire" written at the bottom, she took my name and address and said she'd have one mailed to me.

Should be a happy ending, but the last time I showed my license (which was more than a year after it had been issued) the officer also wanted to look at my driver's license. It really had expired but that cop didn't care as long as it showed who I was. I can tell this one would be enough of a hard case to decide; "OK, maybe your performer's license doesn't expire, but this one sure as shooting did and you don't get to perform until you can show me valid ID!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Ed
Great story and I liked the happy ending.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob).
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, there isn't really going to be a happy ending until I get the driver's license renewed so I can look Patrolman Dickey in the eye and present my unexpired license and my renewed drivers license and watch him back down.
Ain't life unkind?"
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
He'll probably find something else not to like.
Best of luck to you.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I will post here what in the past, my attorney has advised me to repeat, if my public performance is questioned or challenged;
If I answer your question or present any documents to you, am I contracting with you? I am not in commerce and do not wish to contract with you. Do you have proof of claim that I have an obligation to have the documents that you are requesting? I am at peace, not controversial, under protest nor duress. I will do whatever you request whilst still reserving my rights under UCC1-308.

I reserve my right not to be compelled to perform under any contract or commercial agreement that I did not enter knowingly, voluntarily and intentionally. I do not accept the liability of a compelled benefit of any unrevealed contract or commercial agreement.

I address you, colorable actor, when I say: I conditionally accept your authority if you will show me the law that allows you (public servant/corporate colorable actor) to recognize me as the legal entity name (ENSLEGIS/FICTION) that the state created.

Do you think that the business called the police department on your efforts outside of their establishment? I maintain good faith relations by first approaching the business manager prior to performing near the affected business. I find places that dovetail nicely with my shows. It seems that a pizza joint fills that condition, but you may have impeded normal business traffic.

I'm curious as to your response Mr. Rhodes Scholar!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
And there is a law phrase called "without prejudice" which, apparently, if declared by a person, means that what you say cannot be used in law against the sayer. In other words, "off the record". I doubt that you could tell the police that and it would be legal...
But do your own investigation on this.
The presentation makes the magic.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Wow, a performer's license that doesn't expire!! My Street Performance Licence for one city lasts a year, it's free, but you have to turn up at the Office to get it issued to you. The application form has a list of categories of performance, and you select the ones you want. So last time I got my licence I chose, and got, every category possible, except sharp objects [which need an audition for approval and I think have a short life span]. So I have Busker, Group, Pavement [art], Circle, Walkby, Roaming Acts. Nothing like covering all bases! Smile
The presentation makes the magic.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-10-02 00:34, Devious wrote:

Do you think that the business called the police department on your efforts outside of their establishment? I maintain good faith relations by first approaching the business manager prior to performing near the affected business. I find places that dovetail nicely with my shows. It seems that a pizza joint fills that condition, but you may have impeded normal business traffic.

I'm curious as to your response Mr. Rhodes Scholar!

I edited your lawyer-speak, not because I disagree with it but because I would be asking to be hauled down to the pokey if I tried to get a RI patrolman to understand his responsibilities in that matter. (And I don't have a lawyer to explain it to him.)

As far as the restaurant is concerned, no, they did not call the patrolman. (If they had, he would have shown up in a squad car. This was a patrolman walking the beat.) On the contrary, they like me. I asked for permission the first few times I showed up, they've never had any problems with me being there or entertaining their customers through the window.
Ain't life unkind?"
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Devious, if I had an attorney tell me that I would fire him on the spot. That is just p***ing off the cop you hand/read it to. I do not want to deal with a cop that anyone just angered. He may very well be WRONG but he is the authority that can cause your butt to be put into jail. Yes your lawyer can get you out but it is not a lot of fun being there.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Paddy, recently there has benn a concentrated effort by the Harbour Police to crack down on all busking in San Diego. The A.C.L.U. has made it very clear that they will support anyone who's rights are infringed upon so long as they follow some basic rules of comportment.

Whilst the advice he's given me makes it very clear as to the law, it doesn't mean that the peace officer is obligated to read it at all. Common sense dictates that one will first make an effort to maintain peaceful relations with said officer, if however one is compelled to show any documentation, THEN this information to the local authority shall be presented.

The crackdown seems to be aimed at some families from Guatemala who are making jewelry and offering it for "Donations" right alongside performance artists such as ourselves. An undercover operation by the harbour police revealed this jewelry, that they are "making" and presenting as performance art, is actually being purchased in Tijuana.

I will keep you posted as to what the new busking policy will be as voted upon by city council. There is a meeting at city hall tonight to discuss changes to regulating busking and any commercial business on public lands. For the meantime, all busking is allowed on public property and local parks so long as it doesn't impede traffic and follows some basic rules of comportment as to noise and behaviour.

Thank you for the input men. Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Update,
The decision was made locally to regulate vendors of tangible items by strictly enforcing a zero tolerance, to any vendor who offers his/her wares for donations. These unlicensed vendors will be cited.

Buskers were considered and deemed to be an "added percieved value" to the visitor experience, here in the greater San Diego Region, thus unaffected.

Great news for those "poor" sidewalk show magicians.

p.s. Since this is your original post, how goes it out there Ed Rhodes?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It's cold now, so I haven't gone back out. Waiting for spring.
I should be practicing. I'm not doing more than playing with my toys. But that's my fault.

I do still want to go to City Hall and get a new license typed up that has added the line "THIS LICENSE DOES NOT EXPIRE" so I won't have to go through that again with another officer (or the same on if he didn't get or doesn't listen to the message.)
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » *sigh* (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL