The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WARNING-NOT THE FINAL ANSWER » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
A dealer in Norway, Nordic Magic is selling unauthorized copies of Scott Alexander's "The Final Answer".

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MONEY!

The reason is The Final Answer only works if you have the incredible gimmick that was included in the product. It is difficult to manufacture. This knock off does not come with the gimmick therefore you will not be able to perform the routine...period.

I have been getting a stream of emails from magicians mostly in Europe who have fallen for this swindle asking both Scott Alexander and Bob Kohler Magic to supply the gimmick.

The product is off the market, the gimmicks are not available. Even if they were available we would not supply the gimmick to support a knock off of the DVD.

Here's a link to the knock off: http://www.nordicmagic.no/storefront.php?pid=797

Please tell your friends to boycott Nordic Magic. Spread the word...

If you've already purchased the product please return it and get a refund from your credit card company or PayPal. Complain about the product as you demand a refund.

Thanks!

Bob
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Pity that the lifelong guarantee for this product no longer applies. My gimmick is broken. When I emailed Mr Kohler, he informed me that I had to repair it myself. As a part broke off and is missing this is not that easy. Must say that I am a bit disappointed. I was using this method on a regular basis.

Jonathan Burrill
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Manufacturing short runs of difficult to manufacture magic gimmicks pretty much guarantees the gimmicks and products will not be available forever. This is the case with many products I've released including The Forbes Portfolio, The Fitch Kohler Holdout System, The Final Answer and most recently The Human Phone Number.

The Final Answer gimmick was manufactured by Thomas Wayne to the highest standard out of the toughest materials. The only moving part was made from Delrin which is an industry standard material. The gimmick was designed to last a very long time but anything can be broken. Broken doesn't always mean it was the manufacturers fault. Our responsibility is to cover manufacturing defects. As you state "I was using this method on a regular basis". If this problem was due to a manufacturing issue it would have broken immediately.

I've never offered a "lifelong guarantee" for any product. However when possible I try hard to work with our clients in cases where there is a problem and I have a viable solution. IF the gimmick was still available I would have you send your gimmick in for inspection to determine if was a manufacturing defect or if it was snapped off. In your case The Final Answer has been unavailable and off the market for three years. Thomas Wayne no longer manufactures magic for my company. I don't have a solution to fix your gimmick. That's why it's up to you. Parts for products become obsolete and unavailable. It's a fact of life in the world today.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
And, that's your final answer?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Then clearly the product does not live up to the title of " The Final Answer". This was advertised as the ultimate version for professional magicians. The way it was marketed led me to believe that you would be offering support and maintenance to the gimmick if need be.

If it was " The Final Answer" you would have found another manufacturer to make them for you. I do like the gimmick and it is a wonderful routine. If the gimmicks were available to purchase separately, I would replace mine.

I have gone back to using a more reliable classic method.

Jonathan
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1463 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I have a game that I loved as a kid called Which Witch. One of the parts to the game is broken so it doesn't quite work the way it should. Would I love to have the part to be able to make the game work as it should, of course, but alas, it hasn't been made since the 70's. So, I superglued and taped it back together and it works fine. That's why so many folks here on the Café say over and over...."if you love something, buy 3 cause you never know when they will be unavailable." I understand your frustration Jonathan. A possible solution might be to drill out a small hole and replace the button with a round head screw. I believe this might be a workable fix.
Regardless....
I would love to see TFA back on the market. I get emails every month from people all over asking if it will be available again. I don't know if I should say this now, but Bob and I have been working on a new version of the gimmick that will be updated and improved, but may also have a refillable ink feature that wasn't available at the time the original TFA was produced. It is still in the development stage so nothing is set in stone, but there is a chance it will see the light of day next year. I hope so, cause I need a new one too!!!!

-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Thank you for the advice Scott, I will try fixing it. I realise that it was not a result of poor workmanship that mine broke. My frustration is that the back up service that was promised was not honoured. I was using this in my stroling work and it worked real well with Australian currency.

If you release an improved gimmick, would you sell just the gimmick to owners of T.F.A 1.0?

Regards,

Jonathan
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1463 Posts

I think it would be a fine idea to work out a way to make the new one available to those who have the original. We will see what happens as the new version starts to take shape.

Wish I could get more of the gimmicks however, unbeknownst to us but "knownst" to him, Thomas Wayne isn't willing/able or whatever, to supply them to us. I wish we could get them, believe me, but as I said we are working on an alternative.

Thanks,

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Although my Final Answer gimmick still works perfectly, I'd definitely want to buy a couple of backup units if you do ever release them again, Scott. I can't help thinking that there must be plenty of folks out there who could make this up for you. I know the word "China" may bring out the fear in some folks, but there are a number of Chinese manufacturers who can make practically anything at reasonable cost, and able to make products of a high standard.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1463 Posts

Jonathan,

I've got some of that glue. If you would like to send me your gimmick, I'll do my best to fix it for you. Just shoot me a PM and we'll get it arranged.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I think you guys are being rather harsh on Scott and Bob. The Final Answer gimmick remains, in my opinion, the most elegant and brilliant solution to "Bill in Lemon". In fact, a LONG way ahead of all other methods. Scott is a very hard-working entertainer, and he chose to share his genius with others. As he said above, if you really were worried that your gimmick might eventually require replacing, you might have bought an extra one or two. Stuff wears out, and manufacturers stop making certain products. This happens all the time in the business world. I can honestly say that my gimmick still works perfectly after hundreds of performances. Because I really take care of my props, and it's very rare that they break.
BUT ....I would like to mention that in my opinion, it's crazy that Scott and Bob haven't found another manufacturer for FA. Why on Earth not do everything possible to ensure that this prop is still available. It's rewarding to hear that they have plans to release another version. Though the original was perfect, so I see no need for any improvement. And, I agree that "a TFA gimmick is not rocket science, any machine shop could make it." Well, let's agree that many machine shops could.
I know that as a working performer myself, who recently released a very small run of a certain product, there is SO much work involved, in even the simplest item. My experience convinced me that I'd rather earn my dollar by performing than through retail. There were just too many problems to deal with, even with a small run of just 10 props!
But "Final Answer" is for me, the finest magic product I've ever purchased. I mean that, really. And those who choose to criticise should perhaps let us know exactly what right they have to make these comments? Do you also own this prop? And if so, what have your experiences been? I have had standing ovations when presenting my version of Scott's routine.
Frankly, Scott's routine alone is worth $400, even if it were neccessary to use another method.
But I will agree this: TFA should be re-released, simply because it is a HUGE advancement to the "Bill in Lemon", and to our Art in general.
Doug
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Well...Doug beat me to the punch on this one. I was going to add my two cents that we are mistaking the argument that a prop that cost $400 should last forever.

As I said in my orginal reviews of the Final Answer, (getting one of the first ones out of the gate) the prop for me was just a small part of the package I paid for. I had owned every Bill in Lemon routine in print or marketed up to that point spending over a $1000 on all the routines out there before settling in 2004 for the routine I do today. But I thought the dvds, the teaching and an entire treatsie on the Bill to Lemon was worth more than $400 and the prop was a bonus. As it turns out, I only use the prop and have my own routine I do where the lemon is now in the audience for 45 minutes during my stand-up act and forgotten about by the time to the reveal comes around. But with the added ideas and tips I got on the Final Answer Members forum, that also was well worth the money paid.

I can definitely understand the frustration of paying good money for apparatus that doesn't last forever...believe me I understand. But it is just a fact of life I have learned to deal with. Starting back in 1994, I had sent my Perfect Time back to Collectors Workshop on 3 occasions and drove to the Workshop once while in DC on business to be repaired. It sucked, but then again, I knew that was the price to pay for wearing the watch every single day. My $1500 Gumball machine has malfunctioned twice in all the years I have had it and I had to figure out how to repair it on my own. Same with my Lunceford Snake Basket which cost $450. Luckily, I have used my Final Answer prop over a 1000 times in seven years and it still looks as new as the day I got it, minus almost out of ink. I follow the cleaning and care methods that they recommend on the DVD. (Not to say that you didn't.....)

I would definitely buy a back-up prop if it became available, just to have. After 13 years of doing a bill to lemon, experimenting with all kinds of methods, I don't ever see me leaving the routine I have now. The Final Answer has served me well...on multiple occasions over the years, I have been tipped the $100 bill after the show as a tip, and so between the prop and the DVD and the forums, it has paid for itself a thousandfold.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1463 Posts

That's great to hear....thanks guys.

New ones are being worked on...just a matter of time. Not as short of an amount as I would like, but hopefully worth the wait.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

Website

nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Scott,

Put me on your list.
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
One of the best aspects of T.F.A. is how far the bill sticks out of the lemon after cutting it open. It adds a lovely visual element to the routine that frames the effect nicely. This is not the case with a few other methods. Another is that it works nicely with Australian notes which are made of plastic and do not fold well or crumple into a ball.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1035 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I own a Final Answer gimmick and IMO it was built to last, assuming you handle it with the care it deserves. My only gripe is that in transferring BK Productions over to the new website we seem to have lost the Pro Line forum which IMO was the greatest asset of being a TFA owner.

Bob if the forum is still there please point me in the right direction. And if it's not, please bring it back!
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of silksock
I would be interested in buying one when they become available again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WARNING-NOT THE FINAL ANSWER » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL