The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What is the right material? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I need to modify an acrylic drink pitcher so it will look like a restaurant coffee pot, with a black band around the top of the pitcher to support the black plastic handle. The band is around 3 inches tall, and the pitcher is wider at the top and gets narrower towards the bottom. I can just paint the handle, but I wanted some kind of plastic black material for the band.

I built an arc shape out of black HDPE that looks great as a band, but as you know HDPE can't be glued to anything. What else could I use? I have thought about neoprene, but that might be too fragile. Craft foam is also too fragile. It needs to be a flexible hard eggshell finish plastic type substance...

Does anyone know of something that would work?
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Does the band have to be made from plastic? The band for real industrial pots is often a band of stainless steel, and gets tightened by screwing onto the handle, like a strap band.

So really, even if you have something that won't glue up well, you could just fasten it together like a strap band.

If it looks odd up close, chances are a coat of black paint would cover it from a distance.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Those drum covers are cool, I'm going to look at those!

Hi Chance I DO want it to look like an industrial pot, and the middle part could be a metal sticker, thin aluminum, etc.

I can't just tighten the band because the top of the pitcher is bigger, and it will slide down.

I tried just paint but the look was less convincing.

I have a curved flat pattern for the band, that can wrap the cone shape nicely.

I need a glue-able black flexible sheet of plastic or hard foam to cut out.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bill Appleton, how about if you take a large wire tie, put it in a shrink wrap sleeve, flatten the sleeve on the wire tie. By wire tie, I mean on of those plastic cable ties.

Here is a reference, you can get longer ones then these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-inch-bla......637.html
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
When in doubt for gluing, I always fall back on 2-part epoxy. It will glue anything together, especially if the surfaces have been roughed up. For metal I even score it with a box cutter so that the epoxy has something extra to grip. I don't see why it wouldn't work here.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi all High-density Polyethylene (HDPE) is famous for not interacting with anything, not even glue. Mostly this has to be melted together, there ARE some special order epoxies that are supposed to work in some circumstances. Which is too darn bad, because this stuff is hard and flexible and would otherwise be very useful.

Here is a picture that might help. The band is an arc shape that wraps around the acrylic. I wish the band looked like black plastic, the handle can be painted. The center part would be silver tape or metal.

Click here to view attached image.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Will tape stick to it?

Because there are construction grade adhesive tapes that come in these colors. There's even silver/metalic tapes used in AC ductwork that are VERY sticky and shiny.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would advise you to seek the advice of a plastic's shop in your area. There are things that the experts know that are not generally known to the general craftsman. We have a Trade Show display company in your town that sells plastics and has all the solvents and techniques for working with plastics. They can also cut and polish edges, dip paint or joint plastics. I find them very helpful and willing to give advice or do small projects for little expense.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You might be able to buy heat shrink in a large size.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Get in touch with Dan Wolfe at Smoky Mountain Magic (www.smmagic.com) and ask if he has a small amount of black Tuff Cote. That is what he and George Kimery use to finish their illusions. It is a very tough, self-adhesive, vinyl material with a bit of texture and an eggshell-like finish. I doesn't sound like what you need has to actually support the handle.

What you need could be sent in an envelope.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks Clinton. I've been looking at "self adhesive vinyl" and there are many options. Most only 3 mil thick or so, but that might be OK.

I can't find any mention of Tuff Cote (Tuff Kote?) however. That sounds perfect thought, thicker self adhesive vinyl.

Is this Milament by MBA Designs?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill, you might want to get in touch with Dan Wolfe of Smokey Mountain Magic. He uses Tuff Kote, usually keeps several colors in stock, and would probably sell you what you need.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » What is the right material? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL