The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Transporting Bowl a Rama (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on a particular case to transport Bowl a Rama for travel. Particularly something that might work as a checked bag without going over the size limit?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I don't own one, but have a rough idea of the workings. Can the gimmick be separated and be attached to a new pad upon arrival? The gimmick itself should be fairly easy to transport.
-Matt
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Unfortunately, not really --- I don't mind the extra cost for an oversized bag (i.e. large Pelican Case), but it's always better to avoid extraneous surcharges.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2449 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
One problem is with keeping the ball and the pad in the same case there'll be a lot of wasted dimensional space. It is a real pain to carry two cases, but it would seem to be better to break this into two units. Hopefully the ball can go in with another case and the pad can go in a large portfolio case such as this: http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/xp-2331.html
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I carry mine in an art bag with the ball in a bowling ball carrier but I have not traveled via air with them. The pad could easily be packed into a 'suiter' type of bag along with your waredrobe. I believe the ball weighs 6 pounds but presents the most difficult side of the task. Might you have some alternative to the ball and use something you could pick up at the other side of your travel like a pumkin, large mellon or soccer ball?

Dan.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Kevin,

I have flown with this many times. Although I have a custom made STORM case (I like them better than Pelican) that will hold the complete Bowl-A-Rama, plus other props, I have done the following as well:

Keep the pad in a drawstring laundry bag to protects the pages. By the way, I also had the sketch pad cover laminated, which protects it for years! The pad can either fit in a larger suitcase with your costume or other clothes.

A smaller case for the bowling ball also can hold smaller props.

Now you have 2 pieces to check and neither are oversized. Weight is in issue, and a STORM case (or similar lightweight, yet heavy-duty case) will pay for itself after just a few flights.

Lou

Lou
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Hi Dan,

A pumpkin or large mellon will smash (or at least crack open) when it hits the floor, but doesn't have the same sound as a bowling ball when it hits the floor. A big gasp comes from the sound of the bowling ball smacking the floor.

Another option is to UPS or Fed-Ex the ball to the performing location. I have shipped cases to the performance location, making sure that they arrive with at least a 2 day buffer. Even Fed-Ex was delayed for one show!

On a side note, I only have one hole drilled for my bowling balls (plus 2 black stickers that look like holes). One time bowling ball hit a cement floor during a show that I was doing and the ball split into 2 pieces! One hole, instead of 3, gives the ball greater structural integrity.

Lou

Lou
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Hi Dan,

A pumpkin or large mellon will smash when it hits the floor, but doesn't have the same sound as a bowling ball when it hits the floor. A big gasp comes from the sound of the bowling ball smacking the floor.

Another option is to UPS or Fed-Ex the ball to the performing location. I have shipped cases to the performance location, making sure that they arrive with at least a 2 day buffer. Even Fed-Ex was delayed for one show!

Lou
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
How about these ideas... Maybe not every client wants a bowling ball crashing to the floor. Imagine how often a careless magician damages a foundation, floor, finish or stage without much consideration for the impact.

And, since you're writing what it is on the pad, you could use mime to sell a black balloon or a swirl colored balloon that looks like it could be a bowling ball. Figure out a way to produce it. Maybe some water or a weight added to the balloon could enhance the handling.

Everyone has seen the effect so many times, they will never question the validity of the bowling ball's authenticity, LOL!

Put it into a bowling bag, handle it as if it were heavy. Even if a layman were to question the ball being solid, at least he still shouldn't know exactly where it came from.

I'd love to see someone do it this way at a magic convention, and see if the majority of people registered there (doctors, lawyers and white collar professionals) even noticed.
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Jimmy, I don't own one, but I think the ball is a bit lighter than a real bowling ball. I have also seen performers having an extra sqaure piece of wood on the floor were the ball drops to prevent damage to the stage. But you make an interresting point.

You could also produce a basketball, travel with it flat and pump it up on the other side...
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
Hi everybody. Thanks for the interesting ideas -- producing something other than a bowling ball would be a bit tough because of my script. The whole "produce a bowling ball for no reason" thing never did it for me, so I've converted it into a mentalism piece of all things.

I'll look into the storm cases -- wouldn't mind paying for one because it will pay for itself many times over. Unfortunately, many US airlines are starting to charge for every piece of checked baggage. As you can imagine, even at $25/piece, 2 pieces would be a total of $100 for a trip.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
First, southwest.com Wanna get away from baggage fees?

Secondly, your description of turning it into a mentalism piece turns it into, what I'm picturing in my mind to be, huge preshow, if not instant stooge, LOL! Please tell me if I'm correct. I'm testing my intuitive instincts.

Jimmy
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
So I'm going to order one of these Storm Cases unless another great idea comes up. Thanks everybody for your help. The linear dimensions are 63.9", so maybe I'll be fortunate to find some friendly employees who can help me pretend it's only 62".

Jimmy -- Not quite. I wanted the production of the ball to be an afterthought, something that the audience didn't see coming. I try staying away from pre-show when possible, especially when there are alternate ways to accomplish similar things Smile.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I'm impressed, most everyone goes to the easy out, you are much more of an artist than the masses. Congrats, you have my utmost respect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Transporting Bowl a Rama (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL