The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Latest and Greatest? "Haunted" by Peter Eggink (Paul Harris Presents) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..29~30~31 [Next]
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5648 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 00:36, bowers wrote:

* Your right merc man.i feel the same way.

* when I perform a effect. my audience knows
it wasn't real magic.what I want them to go away
with is man this guy is sweet with his hands or
that was a great performence.i then know I have did my job right.

Elsewhere on the Caf I had said:
Quote:
On 2002-03-21 10:41, Ustaad wrote:

The suitability of a Routine/effect will (and always) depend on the type of audience one is entertaining. Magic must be a source of pleasure and entertainment. The audience must go home happy and relaxed but at the same time they must also have something to think and wonder - How did he do that?

Back on topic please. Thank you. Smile
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 00:52, J.Prager wrote:

I really wanted to like this.

* After practicing 2 days, I went out to "the real world" and this did not worked.

I don't know what to think, I am confused.

* Is Haunted practical? Yes.

* Is it reliable? No.

I really don't know if I LOVE it or I HATE it.

My thoughts about Haunted are confusing my mind.

Rather than practice, probably just a little more experience with the Haunted is needed so as to make the timer (time delay) function work properly & reliably. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-03 22:04, Merc Man wrote:
HOWEVER, blimey how can I get this point across...when you guys are working commercially (often for a lot more dosh than many people earn for a week's hard graft) HOW do you handle the scenario of handing your props out for examination? How long do you give people to try and pull it apart and find the modus operandi? Personally, and this is just my point of view, I just don't think that this approach looks professional.

This is exactly the kind of straw-man argument I'm talking about. Nobody's talking about "handing your props out for examination."

But -- all other things being equal -- wouldn't it be nice to go straight into the next trick with the same deck, because the last trick ended clean? Maybe even do something that has a spectator handling the deck? It conveys to the audience the idea that the deck isn't gaffed without the magician having to say a word -- let alone "Here! Take these cards and examine them! I'll just sit and watch you." Smile

Quote:
On 2011-12-04 00:36, bowers wrote:
Your right merc man. I feel the same way. When I perform a effect my audience knows
it wasn't real magic. What I want them to go away with is man this guy is sweet with his hands or that was a great performance.

That's understandable...but do you think that leaving the audience with the impression that you didn't use any gimmicks will make them think you're *less* good with your hands, or that you turned in a *less* great performance? Seems to me that anything you can do to reduce their suspicion of gimmicks is only going to make you look *more* like a sleight of hand master.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners ' must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.' -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I was thinking this is utter rubbish but after a day playing with it I'm finding how to do this, it does take a bit of a knack and messing with the set p to get it going well. Now I've done it I've been using the same gimmick all day which was a surprise I thought there would be no way it would perform as many times as it does.

I can even have mine cut all the way so the top half falls off and the chosen card moves out very slowly on its own.

This looks fantastic and I've found a handling that I'm practising to make sure it works every time.

I'm sure I will use this at times but Chill still remains my most practical and reliable version to date, even though it uses IT.The problem with this you can't be 100% how it will work and what the effect will be, maybe it will after more practice.

This will be good though for those situations where using IT is just not going to work.

I don't like the whole box thing and think its unnecessary, but at least Peter put the effort in for those that want 100% examination.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I agree FrechDrop, and didn't think I would have to keep on posting reg this point - but we all have different views and opinions and that's what makes the world go round. Psychology plays a very important part in magic, which you gave a perfect example of this. When handing the cards out at the beginning or at the end or even both to be again shuffled, this is a subconscious way of them 'examining' the cards. You are not saying... so have a look at these cards, examine them and make sure they are just a normal deck and not a trick deck. Also there is no rule as to how long something should be examined for, and you don't have to pass something around the table like pass the parcel and stand there looking like a clown - as MercMan put it.

As a magician your job is to not only entertain people but yes, ALSO TO FOOL! If a client wanted just entertainment them they would hire perhaps a clown for example (who does not perform magic), Our job as a magician is to fool as well as entertain, and if someone is able to entertain as well as fool, then IMHO they are perceived to be a good magician. Also, I'm sorry but magic to the lay person is like a puzzle in their eyes - I don't care what anyone says - it is! Once again I repeat myself, but after you have performed a 'trick' your audience start to try and work out how it was done - FACT! That is what happens! So yes I suppose you can equal a trick being performed as a puzzle to which they will try and work out how you did it. If they cant work it out you are then classed in their eyes as being a very good magcician - because you have fooled them. I don't get why this is so hard to understand. This is fact on how the lay persons mind and brain thinks.

Staying on this topic, to which the above is related. Why has peter gone to the effort of inventing and marketing Haunted stating that it can be examined - if he as a very good inventor and magician did not feel the 'examination' factor was not important - enough said.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2618 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 07:39, PRINCE wrote:
Staying on this topic, to which the above is related. Why has peter gone to the effort of inventing and marketing Haunted stating that it can be examined - if he as a very good inventor and magician did not feel the 'examination' factor was not important - enough said.

Maybe because he knows he wouldn't earn much dosh simply selling a hundred or so to working performers world-wide; whereas the magic hobbyist market (in other words, the 'must buy every new trick now' brigade) are significant in their number?

Crikey....where's did I put that hard hat - I need to put it on quickly! Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1810 Posts

Profile of Prager
I have just received a couple of tips from Peter.

I will give it another try today.

Thank you for contacting me Peter.
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Here we go again... only joking Smile MercMan you are probably right, the fact he has marketed a product that may then appeal to all - workers and hobbyist, would be more beneficial for him, and everyone else I suppose. whether people decide to perform this and choose to let this be examined is down to the performs choice, preference etc. But knowing someone has the option is good I guess.

your comment about the must buy every new trick now brigade was v funny Smile and again your right about they are yes significant in their numbers.
MarcLavelle
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of MarcLavelle
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 10:33, MarcLavelle wrote:

Placing aside the misspelling, I couldn't have said it better myself.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18576 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Has anyone who ordered directly received theirs yet (in the UK)?
surryhills
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
149 Posts

Profile of surryhills
I got it today and I already played with it but Im not sure if this will work for me.
Its just not reliable enough... Maybe its just me and Im doing something wrong.

And this is not something totally new - this is Static 2.0 or Static 1.5.

I will give it some more work and than post again.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 11:55, surryhills wrote:
I got it today and I already played with it but Im not sure if this will work for me.
Its just not reliable enough... Maybe its just me and Im doing something wrong.

And this is not something totally new - this is Static 2.0 or Static 1.5.

I will give it some more work and than post again.

I wasn't going to try and fish on this thread, but that is what I kind of assumed. (And, of course, the Static gaff predates that effect.) I realized after watching the demo that with the Static gaff and some R__ F__ one could probably achieve the same effect.
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 08:35, Merc Man wrote:
Maybe because he knows he wouldn't earn much dosh simply selling a hundred or so to working performers world-wide; whereas the magic hobbyist market (in other words, the 'must buy every new trick now' brigade) are significant in their number?

Crikey....where's did I put that hard hat - I need to put it on quickly! Smile

Okay, so now you're saying NO "working performers" would consider examinability a plus? And anyone who does is just a hobbyist? Smile

Yeah. Put that hard hat on and strap it down tight. If you get hit with the proverbial brick, you've brought it on yourself.
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners ' must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.' -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I've managed to get my haunted to do this, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJORPAxmTA

It's working about 75% of the time, at worst it works like the effect we all bought.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2618 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 14:47, themagiczone wrote:
I've managed to get my haunted to do this, what do you think?

I'd love to tell you what I thought - but it's a bit difficult given that it's a private video and I can't see it!
Barry Allen

Joe Riding

Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Ditto
This is my 17th year on being a member of the cafe.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2618 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-04 13:13, FrenchDrop wrote:
Put that hard hat on and strap it down tight.

That's not actually possible - hard hats don't have straps. Smile
Barry Allen

Joe Riding

FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Yours may need one. Smile
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6947 Posts

Profile of bowers
Magiczone, the video you posted if it worked like that all the time it would be fantastic. But I have not received mine yet. So I cannot express my feelings on this yet.

todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Latest and Greatest? "Haunted" by Peter Eggink (Paul Harris Presents) (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL