The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Haunted" by Peter Eggink (Paul Harris Presents) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31 [Next]
FrenchDrop
View Profile
Inner circle
I can name that tune in
1647 Posts

Profile of FrenchDrop
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 23:19, Magicsquared wrote:
What I love: The way the deck moves. It seems like there are so many different pivot points that there must be something more complicated than a string or magnet (or any other simple force a spectator might guess) acting on the cards. It really does look like an animate outside force is doing something to the cards.

What I hate: Peter's taste in music.

That does look great. I think it's the best demo yet. I like how the selected card "crawls" out at the end; that's so much better than seeing it jump out.

I couldn't really make out the music in the background, so it didn't bother me. Smile
"A great magician has said of his profession that its practitioners '… must pound and rack their brains to make the least learning go in, but quarrelling always comes very naturally to them.'” -- Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5648 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 18:33, Peter Eggink wrote:

* Over the last few months Mark came up with some really cool touches and ideas and we just LOVE them.

* The original Haunted absolutely rocks as it is but Mark's input will definitely take this a step forward.

From the above statement it is quite clear that while creating and releasing the effect, sufficient thought, attention and trials & error had not gone into the various factors governing the effect.

And in Peter's own words:-

Quote:
On 2012-04-03 18:33, Peter Eggink wrote:

* We are still fine-tuning the new handlings to perfection but it does look VERY promising...

Thus IMO, factually speaking, in spite of Mark Traversoni's all-out help and support, the effect is still not ready for its real world performance.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10576 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Once again I agree 100% with you Ustaad.

Peter nailed it (and what I've been saying) - his Haunted version wasn't quite ready ... Bugs were not quite worked out ... But PHP released it anyway.

Hence the many initial somewhat frustrated reviews. That's why I sold mine initially without opening the package.

Just like a movie - initial "buzz" does matter.

Thank goodness Mark Traversoni came to the rescue more or less - I"m sure Peter and PHP are grateful. Is this the ultimate Haunted Deck now?
That's for users to decide I guess.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I think to be fare to Peter the effect everyone bought was what is shown in his trailer.

I came along and added the extra bits.

The basic effect for Haunted was the deck cutting to a selection, you pick up the top half and remove the card it cut to.
The kicker was the card then jumping out when you picked up the top half.

I got this working without much trouble at all so Haunted did do what it claimed.

When I took it further it needed more understanding of what was going on. I released my notes which cover things I found out in those early days.

A lot has happened since and progress made towards making this even easier to do.

It appears from feedback I have recieved that there are quite a lot of people who have my handling working for them, but I want everyone to be able to do this without having to spend a long time getting everything right and practicing for hours.

To this end that is why Peter said "We are still fine-tuning the new handlings to perfection but it does look VERY promising"

"perfection" is hopefully someone being able to pick this up and produce the animation we have shown within minutes of being instructed how to do it, no fiddling making things or having to get things right that are variable.

The effect put on the market works as you can see in the video and very well to, but it requires some work to achieve, that's not a bad thing (some magic takes years to learn) but in our world not everyone has the time or will to work at something they just want it to work.

I remember one poster that said he was glad it was not easy or everyone will be doing it. I can sort of see the thinking behind that but for me I would be very pleased if everyone says they can do it well.

I have continued to work at this and hope you can see by my dedication to this post and the effect I really want to make this very good and easier to do.

I feel what you have now is the best hands off version available to date.

I would not say its the easiest to do available, so it depends how you judge an effect, but it's not bad because it requires practice.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10576 Posts

Profile of saysold1
This just a somewhat poor review on the latest Magic Magazine by Peter Duffie - it was not recommended.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I was happy with Peter's Haunted before Mark Traversoni came up with his refinements. I used it and it worked. It took practice to get it to where you want a traditional haunted pack to look. But anytime the card didn't quite come out all the way, people I performed it for were thrilled. You could have no card chosen and put the deck down and have it 'move' and they would still be shocked.

Mark came up with some great refinements and they were available to anyone that bought the trick.

I sill use this and am happy with it.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
So...we have to pay for a fix of Haunted?
Magic is a vanishing art.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
I really wish PHP would put out a new DVD, with all the lastest updates, so we don't have to keep listening to the same old broken record, standing up for a guy with questionable ethics.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 18:04, themagiczone wrote:
Another video for you showing a full performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ6SCO4eW......a_player

That's one of the best looking haunted decks I've seen so far! I've been bouncing back and forth reading and watching (videos)for both of the animated decks being discussed here. My main concern with this version is what do you do when the gimmick no longer works ? How many haunting's can be done with this version before you need a replacement? Buying the effect again is not a real solution for me when this wears out .

If one version gives you several years worth of gimmick material then its hard not to consider that version over this one. The gimmick material is probably dirt cheap to buy anyway!

Thanks
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10576 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-04-22 22:57, ralphs007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-04 18:04, themagiczone wrote:
Another video for you showing a full performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ6SCO4eW......a_player

That's one of the best looking haunted decks I've seen so far! I've been bouncing back and forth reading and watching (videos)for both of the animated decks being discussed here. My main concern with this version is what do you do when the gimmick no longer works ? How many haunting's can be done with this version before you need a replacement? Buying the effect again is not a real solution for me when this wears out .

If one version gives you several years worth of gimmick material then its hard not to consider that version over this one. The gimmick material is probably dirt cheap to buy anyway!

Thanks
Ralph

Ralph -

I think you make a very good point. The material will wear out or break over time certainly. I would have no clue what to purchase if I didn't have extra material.

The poor Eggink Haunted review in Magic Magazine kind of suprised me - I'm assuming the next shoe to drop will be Traversoni and the PHP people stating that reviwer Duffie never saw the improved notes etc and thus was baing the review on the standard release.

But my point all along is that will proper testing this should have been ready out the gate. It was not.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2375 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
The material you need is availble in most towns or online, its not really that hard to find and I'm sure a lot of magicians already have some of this (I did), it has been used for magic a lot over the years.

I've not seen the review in quetsion but the reviewer has his or her own opinion, whether it is correct or not is another thing!

As I say in my last post above I don't think it's right to say the effect was not ready for release, it does what is shown in the official demo quite easily.

The bonus handling I released was a bonus and most the queries I have recieved have been from people who have not followed the instructions properly you need to follow each step or it won't work properly.

You have seen numerous demo's and heard of others that use this so if you have had trouble with it try again.
Mark Traversoni

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of drphil
You are given extra materials to make new gimmicks when you'rs wear out. You can also change the location of the material making the gimmick perform differently. If you want to place the selected card in the normal way just adjust as needed. If you tinker around with this their are more ways to handle this then shown. I don't believe that means as some have stated proper testing was not done. You are given the materials and his method. But this does not mean it can't be changed to suit you're needs.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
To All, thanks for the replies.

Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10576 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 11:08, drphil wrote:
You are given extra materials to make new gimmicks when you'rs wear out. You can also change the location of the material making the gimmick perform differently. If you want to place the selected card in the normal way just adjust as needed. If you tinker around with this their are more ways to handle this then shown. I don't believe that means as some have stated proper testing was not done. You are given the materials and his method. But this does not mean it can't be changed to suit you're needs.

Well Phil something seems to have have been missing, don't you think? Are you performing it the original way, or with Traversoni's handling tips? I would guess the latter.

If you go back and read this thread from the beginning you will find that the earliest reviews were a bit hesitant and overall less than stellar.

It wasn't until Traversoni came in and helped out that it seems like Haunted got back on track as a more consistently viable product.

If the product didn't quite work as advertised until tweaked by someone other than the creator, then it does sound like Haunted could have been better vetted before release.

In magic Magazine the reviewer was aslo critical of the way the product was advertised as not using IT... which was also mentioned a number of times on this thread from the beginning.

In any event, at least now with the help of the magic community Haunted seems like it has improved and that is a good thing.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Actually, the ad for "Haunted" by Peter Eggink said "NO LOOPS OR THREAD WORK". "Thread work" is more commonly known as methods using IT or IET ( including Loops ). 'Thread Workers" use hookups using IT, IET or Loops.

I opened the Haunted box and didn't feel mislead as It doesn't use IT, IET or Loops.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 16:12, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:

Well Phil something seems to have have been missing, don't you think? Are you performing it the original way, or with Traversoni's handling tips? I would guess the latter.

If you go back and read this thread from the beginning you will find that the earliest reviews were a bit hesitant and overall less than stellar.

It wasn't until Traversoni came in and helped out that it seems like Haunted got back on track as a more consistently viable product.

If the product didn't quite work as advertised until tweaked by someone other than the creator, then it does sound like Haunted could have been better vetted before release.

In magic Magazine the reviewer was aslo critical of the way the product was advertised as not using IT... which was also mentioned a number of times on this thread from the beginning.

In any event, at least now with the help of the magic community Haunted seems like it has improved and that is a good thing.

Hi
I also dislike the ads that say no IT or loops. And both of these guys are guilty of saying this in their ads. This was taken from the Rasmus ad.

Keypoints to remember:

-No Loops or IT
-No reset
-Easy to do
-Works Every Time
-Examinable
-Use it under any light conditions
-Highly Visual
-Multiple handling ideas and tips
-Perfect for close-up or walkaround
-Use any deck
-Bonus Rising Card effect
-You receive gimmicks that last for lifetime

I'm not taking sides with one creator over the other. They both stretched the truth here. It's like buying magic from a Politician. This is very misleading and I don't care how they try to justify the no IT or loops crap. I could care less since I like using loops and IT. I just think its BS that they try to pull the wool over our eyes with these half truth ads .

Ralph
James D. Miles
Nick Sand
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Nick Sand
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 20:26, ralphs007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 16:12, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:

Hi
I also dislike the ads that say no IT or loops. And both of these guys are guilty of saying this in their ads. This was taken from the Rasmus ad.

Keypoints to remember:

-No Loops or IT
-No reset
-Easy to do
-Works Every Time
-Examinable
-Use it under any light conditions
-Highly Visual
-Multiple handling ideas and tips
-Perfect for close-up or walkaround
-Use any deck
-Bonus Rising Card effect
-You receive gimmicks that last for lifetime

I'm not taking sides with one creator over the other. They both stretched the truth here. It's like buying magic from a Politician. This is very misleading and I don't care how they try to justify the no IT or loops crap. I could care less since I like using loops and IT. I just think its BS that they try to pull the wool over our eyes with these half truth ads .

Ralph

Awesome brother, I am glad your aware of this, the magic maketers are politicians, basicaly. Smile
The world we live in is even a greater illusion than magic.
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of drphil
Saysold1 I haven't looked at Mark Traversoni's handling. I simply looked at how the gimmick was made and changed it with the provided materials. By altering my gimmick my way so that it handles the way I want to use it. I have found that with almost any effect I buy I look at how I can make it work for me. The original setup worked as shown ,but I felt putting the selected card on the top of the deck was odd. It's an easy change, I've had to completely change some effects but now they are some of my favorites. Yes some of the reviews are negative some even say they don't recommend it. Most of the reviewers feel it is not consistant I disagree. If you are consistant in how you perform witch takes practice to work out the details it will work as consistantly as you do. However great credit must be given to Peter for coming up with haunted the first to use the combined methods for a great effect.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I like using loops and IT and have done "thread work" for years. Neither effect mentioned uses IT, Loops OR uses thread work.
Nick Sand
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Nick Sand
Quote:
On 2012-04-23 21:02, Zombie Magic wrote:
I like using loops and IT and have done "thread work" for years. Neither effect mentioned uses IT, Loops OR uses thread work.

Very correct my brother, Very correct. Smile How funny words can be played.
The world we live in is even a greater illusion than magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Haunted" by Peter Eggink (Paul Harris Presents) (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL