The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Left or Right handed tells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
Hi

I am working on putting together a small routine which ends in a kind of which coin and which hand routine. I would like to basically know at the outset whether the specky is a lefty or a right handed person. I know that I could ask them to gather up the coins at the start which is okay, but I want something very covert. I know you can look at peoples belt buckles for instance but maybe there are other ways. I would be very grateful for anyones help in this regard.

Thanks
Darrell
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
The side on which they wear their wrist watch can point you in the right direction and might be a good indicator.
Jinx13
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario
119 Posts

Profile of Jinx13
The watch indicator that Dompa mentions can be good, but not always true. I am a lefty and do wear my watch on my right wrist, but I know many others that do not. From my experience most rightys are very right hand dominate, however leftys tend to be more ambidextrous (out of necessity) so it could be hard to tell for sure. If you can get the spectator to write something earlier in the set, this will tell you for sure. If it makes sense and is logical in the context, this little detail will probably be forgotten by the audience.
dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
Yes this could work as I could make a prediction at the start but perhaps get them to sign there name on the paper before I begin and give someone to hold. Thanks for this and I was unsure of the watch as to it's accuracy as well. What do you think to testing with asking them to pick up the coins, this should be sure fire as well shouldn't it?

Darrell
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
When ever I do a drawing duplication, I observe with which hand they take the pen, then after the drawing has been sealed away somewhere safe, I'll begin my reading if what I think they have drawn. I'll throw in 'your right (or left) handed aren't you' and I'm consistently amazed when people react with a surprised (amazed would be pushing it) responce. The fact that I just gave them a pen to draw with seems to slip there mind. This is more of a minor, throwaway effect however.
Dompa
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
249 Posts

Profile of Dompa
As I said the watch tell could be an indicator but is definetly not 100 % sure. I would say that it works about 85 % of the time. If you are looking for something surefire I would definetly go for the pen tell.

By the way. I don't know how much you read about the "Which hand" effect but Alexander Marsh has an excellent routine in one of his books! Highly recommended!
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Try Colin mcleod opening minds dvds, there's a part in there with a method for which hand the coin is in.
Hope this helps

Kieran
dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
My knowledge of which hand is limited to a certain tell which I won't name but I am sure that everybody here knows it and P Redfords amazing work on this. Also Bryn Reynolds handling if things get tough which is very handy. That is about all I know of the plot really. It is something that interests me and I am all about very pure impromptu mentalism so I will check out Colin Mcloud and actually Alexander Marsh who I have not heard of has already responded here which is great, so I will have a look for his books.

Thanks everybody.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Other things that could work if they fit, is rolling a die,or tossing a peice of paper in the audience and having them toss several times to pick a random assistant for another effect,which would allow you to read several spectators at that time to determin the most likley read for use in the next effect or later on in your show to put the information to use.

These two examples are subtle and far removed if used earleier in your set.
dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
My knowledge of which hand is limited to a certain tell which I won't name but I am sure that everybody here knows it and P Redfords amazing work on this. Also Bryn Reynolds handling if things get tough which is very handy. That is about all I know of the plot really. It is something that interests me and I am all about very pure impromptu mentalism so I will check out Colin Mcloud and actually Alexander Marsh who I have not heard of has already responded here which is great, so I will have a look for his books.

Thanks everybody.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Keep in mind that right hand dominant people are also right foot dominant. Maybe you could work something out with that. We can talk more about that in Inner Thoughts when you get there.

Mike
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
I have used the paper ball toss in the Audience to identify a LEFT-handed person and then (much later, after the person happens to be on stage with me) checked to see if his belt and/or watch are consistent with his left-handedness. Is so, I'll demonstrate how one can make S. Holmesian deductions simply from careful observations. I use it as a "throw-away," but it helps "explain" (as Banachek would say) how I am using my five senses to create the illusion of a sixth.

Good luck!
CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Left or Right handed tells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL