The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The 1% fight back! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..19~20~21 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
You certainly have a flowery description of the plundering pigs.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 11:58, Al Angello wrote:
Lobo
You certainly have a flowery description of the plundering pigs.

Thanks, Al. Thought about you over the weekend...the closing of the Blue Horizon is a shame.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo old friend
The sport we loved 30, and 40 years ago is dead now. My friend who wrote for Ring magazine in unemployed too.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
It seems to me (a conservative, pro-life, right-wing religious nut Republican who loves Ronald Reagan and thinks its a toss-up between him and Teddy Roosevelt as best President of the 20th century) that in America people should have the right to peacefully protest whatever they want to, whether their agenda be conservative or liberal, specific or unspecific, focused or "sweeping." I don't begrudge abortions rights activists their right to peacefully assemble or to lobby for legislation, and I reserve the right to assemble to protest legalized abortion. I don't begrudge gay rights activists their right to protest DOMA, and I reserve my right to assemble to support it.

I am not a Tea Party "member" nor am I an "Occupier," but it seems to me that any American can choose to be in either group and peacefully demonstrate as he or she sees fit. Bickering on a magicians' website and calling each other morons and idiots certainly isn't going to bring about a workable solution.

But then, some of you will call me an idiot and a moron, or "naive and misguided" for posting this. I simply think that debate is a good thing, but name-calling adds nothing constructive.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Scott
I think you are a combination of all those bad things, and I completely agree with you.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 12:30, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
It seems to me (a conservative, pro-life, right-wing religious nut Republican who loves Ronald Reagan and thinks its a toss-up between him and Teddy Roosevelt as best President of the 20th century) that in America people should have the right to peacefully protest whatever they want to, whether their agenda be conservative or liberal, specific or unspecific, focused or "sweeping." I don't begrudge abortions rights activists their right to peacefully assemble or to lobby for legislation, and I reserve the right to assemble to protest legalized abortion. I don't begrudge gay rights activists their right to protest DOMA, and I reserve my right to assemble to support it.

I am not a Tea Party "member" nor am I an "Occupier," but it seems to me that any American can choose to be in either group and peacefully demonstrate as he or she sees fit. Bickering on a magicians' website and calling each other morons and idiots certainly isn't going to bring about a workable solution.

But then, some of you will call me an idiot and a moron, or "naive and misguided" for posting this. I simply think that debate is a good thing, but name-calling adds nothing constructive.

:thumbsup:
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 12:17, Al Angello wrote:
Lobo old friend
The sport we loved 30, and 40 years ago is dead now. My friend who wrote for Ring magazine in unemployed too.

SERIOUS question here for you Al. Are you an MMA fan at all?

I personally do not like it as much as I would like to. What I mean is I REALLY enjoyed the science of boxing and not so much wrestling. MMA has an awful lot of wrestling especially of late. It is not so much my cup or tea. It is cool and they are athletes and such, but not a fan here.

I was just wondering where you stand. AND hopefully have a discussion about something interesting between us for a change, and not heated and angry.

I MISS the old days of Howard Cosell and the Fight Doctor! The build up to the big fights and such. Leonard, Hagglar, and Duran trading the title. I think MMA also suffers from over exposure. Just curious where you came down on it. Not saying one is right or wrong, just my opinion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 10:59, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 09:59, EsnRedshirt wrote:
"Conservative job creators"? They create jobs, all right- in China.

Ask a banker- do they hire more tellers because they get a tax break, or because lines are longer? (Okay, bad example- they just fire all their tellers and charge people unless they use online banking.) What creates jobs is demand for goods and services, not tax breaks. Very few employers are going to expand their business and hire new people unless there is a demand for what they're selling. Would you hire more stage crew for your performances if you're not booking shows?

What creates jobs is business expansion, which is the product of risk/reward analysis. Any competent business owner considers the tax rate, as it directly affects net income.
That's my point- who expands business when there is no reward (in the form of increased profit from additional sales due to higher demand?) Like I said- as a performer, if you're booking shows, or have high prospects of booking shows, you're more likely to buy new illusions, hire additional stage crew, etc. If you're not booking shows, you're a lot less likely to buy props and hire people, since the risk of not recovering the investment is much greater.

If we want to use tax rate as an incentive, we need to reward companies for expanding locally, rather than overseas. We also need to help level the playing field so it's not so biased towards larger corporations over small businesses. (Yes, I'm advocating reducing regulations.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you understand that this is EXACTLY the opposite of what your party and president do and want done?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 13:23, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Lobo old friend

SERIOUS question here for you Al. Are you an MMA fan at all?

I personally do not like it as much as I would like to. What I mean is I REALLY enjoyed the science of boxing and not so much wrestling. MMA has an awful lot of wrestling especially of late. It is not so much my cup or tea. It is cool and they are athletes and such, but not a fan here.

I was just wondering where you stand. AND hopefully have a discussion about something interesting between us for a change, and not heated and angry.

I MISS the old days of Howard Cosell and the Fight Doctor! The build up to the big fights and such. Leonard, Hagglar, and Duran trading the title. I think MMA also suffers from over exposure. Just curious where you came down on it. Not saying one is right or wrong, just my opinion.

Have you ever seen Anderson Silva fight? That dude is an extremely technical striker.
Let the record show that I wear my Muhammad Ali Adidas jacket every day.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Had a few intervening posts...this one was in response to ESN's last.

Clearly, if you don't have a good or a service that people want to buy (or are able to buy), then there's no expansion. However, aside from the presence of a reward, the amount of the reward matters a great deal, as well. When you say the reward is "in the form of increased profit..." regardless of where it's from, a big part of calculating the amount of that profit is the tax rate - how much of the revenue is going straight to Uncle Sam? If the expense (including tax rate) eat up too much of the revenues, then some decisions that would otherwise create jobs may not be made.

I agree that the American government should incentivize American job creation, not general company growth. By the same token, the government should not incentivize illegal immigration, in part for the same reason (but for many other reasons as well). Exporting jobs to non-Americans and importing non-Americans to do those jobs here both have pretty much the same effect. At least in the former case, the American taxpayer isn't picking up the tab for the workers' families education, emergency healthcare, etc.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
To me it is like dog fighting without the dogs. I belonged to a police boxing club when I was a little kid, I used to go to local gyms to watch the afternoon sparing. I went to the blue horizon when I was the only teenage white boy in the auditorium. I used to watch the Friday night fights with my father. So I grew up with boxing, and I can't watch the new stuff. It's all hype if you ask me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 13:52, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Like I said- as a performer, if you're booking shows, or have high prospects of booking shows, you're more likely to buy new illusions, hire additional stage crew, etc.

You have a potential gig...it's 3 miles from home, and it pays $200 for one hour on a night when you're not doing anything anyway. If you take it, you'll be hiring an assistant (let's say the $200 is after you pay him). There's a little setup and breakdown time, and you have to get to the gig a little early, so overall, you're spending about 3 hours from home back to home.

In one case, the income tax rate is 10%, so you're keeping $180 of the $200. Do you take the gig?

In another case, the income tax rate is 80%, so you're keeping $40 of the $200. How about now?

Your assistant's job depends on your choice(s).

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 14:02, Al Angello wrote:
To me it is like dog fighting without the dogs...

And, apparently, one can't teach an old dog new tricks.
;)
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Critter
Yes I'm too old to change.

When I was a young man there was two boxing publications, and each of these magazines had a top 10 list of boxing contenders in every weight class. There was also a plethora of up coming, and over the hill boxers that they covered every month. Major cities would have at least one fight card a month featuring regional champions. It simply was a different era.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Lobo old friend

Al -

Respectfully, let me say this about boxing. And you know I say this from somebody who is a true aficionado. Not as old as you, but a boxing historian with a love and knowledge of the sport.

Every era has a handful of truly great boxers. Best-of-the-best guys. What has made boxing particularly great at times is that at those times, many of those fighters were in or around the same weight class at the same time. When you think of great boxing eras, what do you think of? Maybe the 80s, with Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, and Duran all in or close to their primes, all fighting each other. Maybe the 70s, with Ali/Foreman/Frazier trading the title. For the guys who were old-timers when you were still a school kid, it was Tony Canzoneri, Jimmy McLarnin, and Barney Ross.

We're in a bit of a dry spell in boxing, but there will again be a time when there are 3-5 all-time greats all in their primes, all ready, willing and able to fight each other. And when that happens, boxing will again be flying as high as it ever did.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I miss the Toughman contests. They're illegal here now.

My Grandpa was an amateur boxer and one of his best friends owned the Lilac Boxing Club here in Spokane. I wanted to box there but since I had taken karate next door he said he didn't like karate guys in his boxing club because they always kicked his bags. He also said I was too tall and skinny and would just get my ribs broken. But I still went to his son's fights with my Grandpa.
Funny thing is that his son got knocked out in a barfight by a roundhouse kick. My Uncle was a bouncer at the time and he watched it and made fun of him for years about it. My Uncle was also an all-state wrestler and an assistant wrestling coach.
I've been trying to get into the boxing club at my school here but their email sucks and there's never anyone at the gym when I go.

I am a fan of MMA too though. I don't think enjoying one precludes enjoying the other. I like Thai boxing and Sumo too.
~Will Rogers
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 14:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 13:52, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Like I said- as a performer, if you're booking shows, or have high prospects of booking shows, you're more likely to buy new illusions, hire additional stage crew, etc.

You have a potential gig...it's 3 miles from home, and it pays $200 for one hour on a night when you're not doing anything anyway. If you take it, you'll be hiring an assistant (let's say the $200 is after you pay him). There's a little setup and breakdown time, and you have to get to the gig a little early, so overall, you're spending about 3 hours from home back to home.

In one case, the income tax rate is 10%, so you're keeping $180 of the $200. Do you take the gig?

In another case, the income tax rate is 80%, so you're keeping $40 of the $200. How about now?

Your assistant's job depends on your choice(s).
Lobo, you know you're oversimplifying things; tax rates don't work that way. Corporate tax rates in the US work in a similar way to how individual tax brackets work- you pay x% of the first $50k. Any income exceeding $50k is taxed at a higher rate- y%. Any income beyond $75k is taxed at a higher z%. So whether I take that job depends on how much money I've already made. And if I want to do the show for the publicity and potential revenue it generates. There's always more considerations than simple profit. Besides- there is no 80% tax bracket.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I did not miss one round of the 1976 Olympics games?

My question is who will test the next great champion?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The mob?
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The 1% fight back! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL