The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » "The Discrepant Insertion" from Ring Leader...Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Ok, I know it's the first move on the DVD, but Mr. Wilson goes extremely to quick in his explanations...I understand the part where my first finger traps the rope, but what I am confused is everything after the part where I push the ring flat...It doesn't seem to make any sense...I've watched this segment of the DVD easily 30 times trying to watch his fingers...the part I don't get it, is when he said to move the ring forward a bit, then have the "bottom" part of the rope come between the thumb and ring...That to me seems crazy for my fingers, because it moves the ring into the "center" of the rope...I hope this message makes sense...I am lost on this one move...

Thanks

Dan
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
It actually does work, but it's hard to describe in words. I've found for situations like this, it can be helpful to slow down and loop the DVD, to get a better look at what's happening.

Check out this product, which will let you do that:

http://www.ronimusic.com/dvdplayer.htm

You'll probably find yourself using this slow-downer on many of the magic DVDs you own.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Ok...lol I figured it out! Thank you!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2011-10-09 18:15, Trooper11040 wrote:
Ok, I know it's the first move on the DVD, but Mr. Wilson goes extremely to quick in his explanations...I understand the part where my first finger traps the rope, but what I am confused is everything after the part where I push the ring flat...It doesn't seem to make any sense...I've watched this segment of the DVD easily 30 times trying to watch his fingers...the part I don't get it, is when he said to move the ring forward a bit, then have the "bottom" part of the rope come between the thumb and ring...That to me seems crazy for my fingers, because it moves the ring into the "center" of the rope...I hope this message makes sense...I am lost on this one move...

Thanks

Dan

I perform a routine that has moves from Greg Wilson's Ring Leader DVD. I personally prefer the Scotty York Insertion (I think that is the name of the move, but I can't remember for sure) over the Discrepant Insertion. It is shown later in the DVD but I think is more deceptive. I use this move all the time in my routine and I think is better than the Discrepant Insertion.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Sounds good...I'll take a look...I've only hit half of the DVD so far...there is a lot of moves on there
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-11 19:23, Trooper11040 wrote:
Sounds good...I'll take a look...I've only hit half of the DVD so far...there is a lot of moves on there

Yes there is. I would recommend reviewing the DVD in full and then taking note of moves you really think are best and learning those moves. Then take those moves and create your own routine and add your own presentation. You can't use ALL the moves on the DVD for your ring and string routine unless you really want an extremely long ring and string routine, which, I don't think it's good to make it too long. I pretend to use the discrepant insertion after I use the "Scotty York Insertion" (again I am not sure if that is the exact name as I would have to review the DVD again to get the exact name) as part of the Sucker Insertion to create some comedy moments in my routine and to also keep the spectators off balance and constantly guessing what is going to happen next.

The "Scotty York" insertion is the insertion where the ring is shown between your middle and ring finger and the spectator can see the string going right through the ring (in other words, it appears the string is clearly looped through the ring and is secure on the ring) just before you do the penetration. You can do this move to where it looks natural and that will depend on your presentation. I think it's a good idea to use Pro Flite as perhaps a finale to the ring and string routine where spectators think it is still on the string and then it magically vanishes and appears on the key chain. It's an excellent DVD and you will have to put a great deal of practice into the various moves to master them, but the effort is worth it.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I really like Ring Leader myself, and Greg did a great job with the DVD, but I might suggest looking into The New Relentless Ring and String Routine by Bob Miller and DJ Ehlert, if you do not already have it. That routine is one of the best around, and it also has some superb moves which can be used in conjunction with those in the Ring Leader routine.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-11 20:34, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
I really like Ring Leader myself, and Greg did a great job with the DVD, but I might suggest looking into The New Relentless Ring and String Routine by Bob Miller and DJ Ehlert, if you do not already have it. That routine is one of the best around, and it also has some superb moves which can be used in conjunction with those in the Ring Leader routine.

Thanks for the suggestion Ayala!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » "The Discrepant Insertion" from Ring Leader...Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL