The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » No experience, wish to build a "portrait illusion" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Illusionist of the Mind
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Illusionist of the Mind
I have ZERO experience with making or presenting grand illusions. But I was sitting thinking the other day about what I'd want to do for a competition act next year, and I began listening to the song "Portrait of my Love" by Steve Lawrence. I'm sure many of you will have seen a similar illusion before:

Magician talks about love, magic and romantic dreams, then begins painting a picture of a beautiful woman he loves. Then the woman is transformed into the real thing; often via blanket.

Now I have a basic, and I mean seriously basic understanding of grand illusion. I am a good Mentalist, but when it comes to making women appear all I can suggest is a dec*****e b*** and that's about the only method I know. Now I am aware that Grand Illusion is hard - but I am young, and I am a good performer (modesty aside for a moment) and I do believe I can do the art of Grand Illusion justice. I want to present something which touches both myself and the audience. I've never considered presenting a "magic" bit before in my life, I have always done mind reading. But the idea, the concept of this illusion, and thought of doing it with the girl I love (unrequited...) stires something in me; maybe its indigestions. She is a drama studant and actress, who definitely looks the part and is 5'5" tall, so I believe she is a good size for these things (if that matters at all, as I say, real amateaur). She has agreed to perform with me, and I know she can be good; but my lack of knowledge really worries me!

Please, I would appreciate all the help I can get. My main concerns are:

1. How to engage the audience's emotions

2. How to make her appear in a 'apparantly visual' way

3. Budget. Is it expencive?

All help welcome, I am a student ant Smile

Matthew

P.S
I am well aware that my screen name is inappropriate... but, well I guess we all have our weak spots for some particular illusion.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7410 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Your post made me think of "Artist's Daydream" from Jim Steinmeyer's book, "Device and Illusion."

You might want to seek out that book.

--> Also, another relevant thread.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Personally, I don't care for the look of Steinmeyer's prop (I can't believe I SAID that!)

Viktor Voitko sells one that I really like, although it's pretty expensive. Paul Osborne has plans for Artist's Dream and The Artist's Studio illusions that, I think, would be interesting to build and perform, and that have a lot of potential.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7390 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
George Saterial does a beautiful version of this. He built his own prop and let me tell up close it is absolutely gorgeous as a piece of furniture.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Illusionist of the Mind
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Viktor Voitko's version is NOT cheap! $1200! And that doesn't include shipping! Smile

I have a budget of only a few hundred dollars, so really I need to DIY it I think; which is a shame as I suck at that. But I am determined to try. I've managed to work out the basic mechanics of the illusion, which I'm sure isn't any real achievement. And I imagine I can build it, but I doubt it would look good or be half as smooth.

Is it possible to rent such a device?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I think it is closer to $2300.

If you have a friend who is a fairly accomplished builder, it might be possible to build the Osborne version for a few hundred dollars.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Pambalini
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Pambalini
If you live within 50 miles of Los Angeles,I'd be willing to help you. I have problems getting PM's, so here is my email address: tassey1345@verizon.net. Hope I can help.
Pam
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The first part of the Pendragon illusion (the easel) would be a breeze to make and perform. Inexpensive, too.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
If you are not good at DIY, then please don't build the illusion yourself. One of the greatest risks to exposure is a poorly built illusion that unintentionally gives away the method. Even the simplest of methods require a certain finesse and skill when it comes to designing and building. At the very least, find an experienced cabinet maker and review the plans in detail with him. Also, since you admittedly are not familiar with illusions, have an experienced illusionist discuss the plans with the cabinet maker. This way, you can be assured that the illusion will be built properly. Now, please don't misunderstand my statement. I am not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your goal. I just want to make sure that, if you are going to do it, do it right.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Illusionist of the Mind
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-12 11:30, Kent Wong wrote:
If you are not good at DIY, then please don't build the illusion yourself. One of the greatest risks to exposure is a poorly built illusion that unintentionally gives away the method. Even the simplest of methods require a certain finesse and skill when it comes to designing and building. At the very least, find an experienced cabinet maker and review the plans in detail with him. Also, since you admittedly are not familiar with illusions, have an experienced illusionist discuss the plans with the cabinet maker. This way, you can be assured that the illusion will be built properly. Now, please don't misunderstand my statement. I am not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your goal. I just want to make sure that, if you are going to do it, do it right.

Kent

Thank you Kent Wong, that was a very good bit of advice I suspect and I could never take it poorly Smile

I like the method used by Viktor Voitko, and his stand looks beautiful. Naturally it is very much out of my price range. If I was to have one made similar to that, I do have a few concerns... primarily to do with the 'swiftness' of the girl and the removing of the actual canvas.

I suspect people are very much right about the fact that an illusion builder needs to be good. I imagine if I did it, there would be a lot of right angles.

Matthew
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
The Pendragon props and routine are a proprietary creation of Jim Steinmeyer. Folks always assume that this was the way the effect was always performed but they are mistaken.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » No experience, wish to build a "portrait illusion" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL