The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's walking knot question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Hi guys,

wondering if any of you could point me to a resource that would allow me after (or before) performing Pavel's walking knot to be able to give the rope to the audience for examination? Thanks!

JB
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I have two women on stage holding the ends of the rope (simplified version) throughout the routine. No reason for any other examination.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 03:39, jamesbond wrote:
Hi guys,

wondering if any of you could point me to a resource that would allow me after (or before) performing Pavel's walking knot to be able to give the rope to the audience for examination? Thanks!

JB

I have an odd version (not by Pavel, where you can show the rope before and after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hALqI-209GI

I have seen another, where you use two spectators and one of them helps you with an end switch.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Is there a particular reason you want to be able to hand it out (a lead into another trick) or is it just to make it even more impossible?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 03:39, jamesbond wrote:
Hi guys,

JB

There is a number of ways you can use to switch rope, that is if you can get a duplicate rope that matched the Pavel item. Use a switch tray, switch box, or any of the items from the 1950's that magicians use to use.

Can I point you to a such a device, no, but if it is really important, there may be something in the Dr. Aldo books on old equipment dealers like Abbott's and Thayer Magic use to make. I don't believe the financial investment to be worth doing it, but if you need to, then do your research on old magic props. I would think something along the lines of the Gloves to Dove would work as well. See Abbott's Magic site for more information. Just have it commissioned for building to look like a serving tray.

I don't know why you would think it great entertainment to stop a show to prove something. There is a big price for losing your audience attention.

A cheaper way to go would be to remove the rope from a Jumbo Change bag at the beginning of the trick, then return it to the bag after the trick. Walk to the audience and have a member of the audience pull out the rope. Then walk along the audience as the rope exits the bag, let the members each hold a section of the rope.

Walk back to the performing area and continue your show. Turn around and hope that there is still an audience to shoe the next trick to, as you will have to begin all over trying to pull them in to the show.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Think further on this question, I would like to say, of all the times I have witnessed the Pavel Walking Knot trick by such great performers as Mike Cavney and others. I never once thought, I have to examine that rope. I just enjoyed the ride of the journey. This is a platform trick, not a close-up effect. If you are using it in small venues, that is not the place for this trick. Lastly, your open and fair handling of the rope proves it is nothing more then a piece of rope. Many performers do this trick without patter, how do you think they convey the message that they are handling a piece of rope.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If you do a switch it is examinable, but there is no way you can pass out Pavel's super walking knot, simplified walking knot, smart walking knot, or junior walking knot.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
JB, PM me.

I have an idea that should work for you but this would not be the place to describe it. Besides, there would be just a few things I would need to know about your show to see if my idea would fit. But it's allowing the audience to examine or pull on the rope then an switch that would not be detected. Very natural.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
This illusion is way too good for it to have to be examined.
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
I think this is a fair question. You could throw one end of the rope in the audience to your assistant and pull him/her on stage. Then switch the rope behind your table while taking the pair of scissors from the table. You have proven from the start that the rope is ungimmicked.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I have a question for anyone that uses it. I love the rope. It is made real nice. Got it before Pavel died. He was nice when I asked him questions about it. But now he has passed away and I have one major problem. When I try to tie the rope to a chair or a microphone stand, the gimmick comes undone (This is not the secret session so I won't use the word that is the gimmick). It doesn't take much for it to come undone. It's frustrating because I have performed it and the audience loves it. But, it kept doing this during the show. I covered the mistake and they still loved it.

However, I don't think that's the solution. I don't want it to come apart prematurely and I don't want it to go to waste by sitting in my junk drawer. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

P.S. I did try the suggestions like using white out and other sticky stuff.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I think his family is still running the business. contact them.
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
I've been rehearsing with the Simplified version for an upcoming show. I could use some pointers on how to make the moves more deceptive. If there is anyone willing to discuss their handling and experiences with this effect, please PM me.

Steve
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Mtpascoe;
Is it the same part that is coming apart when you apply tension?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-05-26 01:04, steve_seguin wrote:
I've been rehearsing with the Simplified version for an upcoming show. I could use some pointers on how to make the moves more deceptive. If there is anyone willing to discuss their handling and experiences with this effect, please PM me.

Steve

I would suggest just practice more, until it is like tying your shows. Do you have to think about which end goes where, of course not.

Don't use the Pavel rope, just get some regular rope and practice tying the knot.
firenmagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, Alabama
97 Posts

Profile of firenmagic
Is there any method available in old books, etc. in which the snaps are not used?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
LESS IS MORE

I done the regular 7 part version (hundreds of times) and tie the ends of the rope between semi-suspicious tubular I.V. medical stands. No one ever asks to see the rope afterwards because )possibly) I give them something else to thing about.

Taking the time to perfect moves that are both invisible & seamless makes the effect look like real magic.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-06-26 17:22, firenmagic wrote:
Is there any method available in old books, etc. in which the snaps are not used?

Nothing old, as the trick is relatively new in magic. The only version explained in a book is Jim Steimeyer's. Actually, the book is more expensive then buying the trick from any dealer.

Pavel method is all his and was never in print, as he sold them to make a living.

There was one version that Doug Henning did, but it required 2 assistants, the manuscript was sold separately by the inventor, but he is no longer with us, I believe and the manuscript is no longer on the market.
firenmagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, Alabama
97 Posts

Profile of firenmagic
Well, I have Device and Illusion already-however, I enjoyed Harry Anderson's take on the effect better. Steinmeyer's seems very odd....at least, trying to read the method vs. seeing it.
Maybe it's just me...
I'm just looking for something that I can cut, release the rope, then restore....if possible.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Think Rubber Cement.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Pavel's walking knot question (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL