The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BOXFILP by David Forrest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Review (in my very bad English, sorry for that)

You get the trick by downloading it. (and paying it before Smile )

Effect(s):
You take a card case out of your pocket or alsewhere and you take a deck of cards out of it. The card case stays on the table. The spectator may take a card (no force !) and signs it. You put the card case in your trouser pocket and then you put his chosen and signed card in the middle of the deck. Now you gesture that you will send the card out of the middle of the deck to the card case in your trouser pocket. You go to your trouser pocket and out of that pocket comes the deck! In your hand is the cardcase! You open the card case and the chosen card comes out of the card case. The effect is double. Not only has the card arrived in the card case but the card case and the deck have changed place too.

As a bonus, Dave shows also a dissapearing deck that you can do with the gimick.

To make the gimmick: that takes max. 10 minutes. You have surely everything at home and you have to do it only once.(it is very easy)
The trick is an ideal opener. After the trick is done, you can use the deck of cards for another trick.
As David said, there are indeed NO sleights to master.However, I think you have to practice a little the right movements.(that goes for every trick!)
Once you know how to hold everything, everyone can do it.
The only drawback, if you can call it a drawback,is that in my opinion, if you want to do it surrounded, it ask for some audience management.
There is only one deck and one card case.
I just have the trick, so I had not the time to explore all the other possibilities with the gimmick(s). I am sure there are.

Difficulty : 3/10
Entertainment value: 10/10
Price: to cheap

As others have stated before me: When you buy something from Dave Forrest, you may be sure that 98% of his effects are worth MORE than the price he ask for it.
For me he is one of the most creative magicians in (card)magic.
I am more than 50 yaers in magic. I know what I am talking about.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Hopefully this will end all the whining about how Dave should advertise. His reputation has given him the freedom to do as he sees fit. Boxflip sounds wonderful.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
This sounds similar to Freedom Pack which is great - plus the effect was shown on the video. If you are looking for this kind of effect I'd go with Freedom Pack.
Lakewood, Ohio
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Isn't 'Freedom Pack' a re-boxing effect? Not challenging - just curious as, if I'm remembering 'Freedom Pack' correctly, I can't see the similarity.

'Boxflip' is a transposition at its core but it's also a 'deck to pocket' effect...and a 'card to box' effect for that matter! Yes - it's a beast with many heads!

Waterloophai - thanks for the review. Really gald you like 'Boxflip' and thanks also for the great tip that you sent me by email - very cool!

Dave.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Dave - agreed not exactly the same effect (I only said similar). I've already combined Mash Pack with Freedom Pack to great effect. Maybe I can incorporate BoxFlip too.

By the way I LOVED the control you taught in episode 8 of your show - Awesome!

Thanks

John
Lakewood, Ohio
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Just made it up - its so D*M* AWESOME! Smile

Kyle
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Must say I have a bit of a downer on the one trick DVD's and downloads that are popular nowadays and so wouldn't be buying this effect.

Based on the fact you make your own gimmick then for me its a chancy buy.I can straight away think of a couple of ways to do this, none of which I'd have the nerve to charge £8.50 for and I'd be plenty miffed to pay out and find its exactly the method I'd thought of.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
I'd be plenty miffed to pay out and find its exactly the method I'd thought of.

But did you think of the effect? The routine?

I won't pretend to be holier than thou. There have been times when I saw a demo and worked out the handling. But If we really like and use an effect we should pay the creator regardless.

I worked out Be-Switched from online demos. I already knew Re-Set and so only had to figure out the beginning and end.

It turned out to be one of my favorite tricks to perform so I went ahead and bought the DVD. The DVD had some great extras on it too.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 13:56, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Quote:
I'd be plenty miffed to pay out and find its exactly the method I'd thought of.

But did you think of the effect? The routine?

I won't pretend to be holier than thou. There have been times when I saw a demo and worked out the handling. But If we really like and use an effect we should pay the creator regardless.

I worked out Be-Switched from online demos. I already knew Re-Set and so only had to figure out the beginning and end.

It turned out to be one of my favorite tricks to perform so I went ahead and bought the DVD. The DVD had some great extras on it too.

Totally agree with you Mike.

But the difference is here that, without visibility of the effect I will already have paid for it so can't make that decision.

I will be holier than thou and say that at least 3 times I have seen a demo , worked it out, and then purchased the effect because the creator deserved it.

Where I am nervous is for me to pay, sight unseen for a one off effect that I make the gimmick for. I have no way of valuing that. And Dave has come up with an idea which he deserves the credit for but don't these effects ( same old boring argument) belong as a package of at least 10 in a book or DVD for say £30 rather than being sold as one offs?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Should it have been published among a few other tricks... I don't know. If it had, would people be talking about it? A lot of times great effects get lost in print.

The way I see it, if an effect is special enough, it deserves to get its own release. Back in the day, people used to sell one trick booklets all the time. A lot of our beloved magic tomes of today are made up of small booklets which have been gathered up. The only thing that has changed is the medium. Nowadays, if you want to market an effect, you pretty much have to make a video if you want it to sell. It's what the majority of people want.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 13:35, Ray Chelt wrote:
Must say I have a bit of a downer on the one trick DVD's and downloads that are popular nowadays and so wouldn't be buying this effect.

Based on the fact you make your own gimmick then for me its a chancy buy.I can straight away think of a couple of ways to do this, none of which I'd have the nerve to charge £8.50 for and I'd be plenty miffed to pay out and find its exactly the method I'd thought of.

Once again it is up to the creator and performer how to market his own effect--one effect or a bundle of effects. You certainly have the right not to purchase it but you are also making commments about the effect based on little or no knowledge. For instance, you imply it is overpriced by stating "none of which I'd have the nerve to charge 8.50 for". On one hand people complain about not having a demo and then on the other hand they complain they think they know the method! Honestly, I perform mostly mentalism but I will probably buy this just to support Dave's creativity and for the fact I know he has a first class reputation.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 14:49, brehaut wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 13:35, Ray Chelt wrote:

Once again it is up to the creator and performer how to market his own effect--one effect or a bundle of effects. You certainly have the right not to purchase it but you are also making commments about the effect based on little or no knowledge. For instance, you imply it is overpriced by stating "none of which I'd have the nerve to charge 8.50 for". On one hand people complain about not having a demo and then on the other hand they complain they think they know the method! Honestly, I perform mostly mentalism but I will probably buy this just to support Dave's creativity and for the fact I know he has a first class reputation.

Great, I await your review with interest.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Lots of hating going on here!

I bought this in time to be entered into the prize thing so looking forward to that Smile

I can't think of ANY books that I have bought that have had a demo, didn't stop me from buying them! Seems people are being really critical about things that didn't happen. If there was no video everyone would be asking for some sort of clip, then we get a reasonably fair one and it all goes mad.

There are no prizes for generally working out how to do an effect, I had my ways of achieving something similar after the first time I watched the demo, why did I buy it? Because of the whole package, it's great teaching and everything is done in detail, really nice product. Again can't complain about the video quality as it is a small download, if it were bigger (and better quality) people would complain about it taking up too much hard disk space.

People can charge what they like for what they like, you don't have to buy it, I did and I'm happy with it, even if I could sit here and think I know it all, I LEARNT some things from watching the download, and ANY bit of info is really valuable.
Better get to work going on every product thread that I haven't bought and start complaining about how they can even think of charging for something like that.

If you look at this from a spectator's PoV, the box vanish is pretty extreme magic. I thought the price was reasonable, thought it would have been more. Something like this might get lost in print, have seen a few of Dave's other things from booklets get the video treatment and really take off.

Great way to open a set, instant magic and really easy to do, everything is taught really well and the effects are nicely rounded. Was it all new to me? No. Could I achieve something similar without buying it? Yes probably. Would I have done that without watching the demo? Probably Not. Did I learn anything? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes **review disclaimer - I paid for this effect**
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I also love this - well worth money.
And I actually BOUGHT it - so there haters Smile
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Anyone know when the contest winner is being announced? Smile

Kyle
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Dave Forrest never fails to amaze me, this is bleedin awesome, a kick back with one heck of a kicker finish. Dave man, I've just made this up (a 5 minute job) and I'm going to do this to everyone, this is a real worker!!

As for the Trailer debate, there are some effects which rely on misdirection so the camera can be a little cruel, also, many trailers for films and music DVDs etc only show snippets of the main parts, the same for many magic DVDs, especially if the method can be seen with constant viewing!

Personally if I like the sound of an effect and I think it would suit my style, then I don't really need to see the whole effect in a trailer, I also understand that some people need to see the whole effect before buying, but I also think that they could be missing out on some great magic.

This is a great effect, and a bargain!

Regards,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
JohnGelasi
View Profile
Loyal user
With just a snap, incredibly, I now have
228 Posts

Profile of JohnGelasi
Children, children, can't we all just get along? Smile

Anywho, this looks great. It certainly seems like a really novel idea for a transposition. Will definitely be looking into getting this one (assuming I don't win it after the contest is over, lol).

- John
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
So what have we al learnt from this thread? That any publicity is good publicity. That making people stare at brick walls can indeed sell card tricks. That Dave has locked himself out of his house again, and is passing the time by performing card tricks by his back door.

Boxflip is less than the price of your average packet trick. If you like the sound of it buy it. If you don't, then don't buy it. In this post MTV world we live in, it seems a little unfair to criticise Dave, or any creator for that matter, for using video to promote his latest product.

Marty
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
But........but this is a magic forum, where people can criticise an effect that they have never seen while hiding behind a user name when no one knows who they are.
kryptonite76
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of kryptonite76
Got it. Brilliant. Love it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BOXFILP by David Forrest (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL