The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Order of effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Never mind.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Oh no this thread started off exciting and now is getting boring
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 10:02, Christian & Katalina wrote:
Feedback from other competent performers is critical. My wife and I have had theater directors examine our show and other perfomers (non-mentalists/magicians) watch and give a critical eye. Many times they are the ones that point out the sore spots. They might not know exactly what is wrong but they can see where things look fishy or undeveloped.

Yep, that is my point -I would only add: "they see things which look fishy or underdeveloped from their point of view". I mean: they must not in fact know what's going wrong from our POV. We need their critical attention, I believe, exactly ***because*** they don't know the mechanism -and still they can point out its weaknesses.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1259 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I wasn't going to release my boring new trick but now I feel that there is a market for it I will!

thanks for the words here, some new specific things I hadn't considered and some things I thought would be true so it's nice to see some more experienced folk having the same thoughts (also some funny posts)

For me it is half the challenge creating a good order, a lot of people could do with reading this thread and watching others, a row of good effects does not make a good show.

The only thing I can think to add at this time which comes from various performance fields is that people forget sometimes when the 'performance' actually starts and finishes. Demonstrated by musical acts who set up in front of the audience and sound check etc, really spoils it for me, and when an orchestra start packing up their music stands RIGHT after the last note. This applies for me also in this field and can help structure a good performance. Not the start of the first effect, not when you introduce yourself, not when you walk out in front of them, more like the very first interaction the audience can possibly have with you, the whole aura of performance needs to begin so that when you do actually start, they are already watching. After all that you can do your boring effect, works a treat! (we can't always do things like that but in an ideal world I think it adds volumes to any kind of staging)
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 12:32, Danyel wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 10:02, Christian & Katalina wrote:
Feedback from other competent performers is critical. My wife and I have had theater directors examine our show and other perfomers (non-mentalists/magicians) watch and give a critical eye. Many times they are the ones that point out the sore spots. They might not know exactly what is wrong but they can see where things look fishy or undeveloped.

Yep, that is my point -I would only add: "they see things which look fishy or underdeveloped from their point of view". I mean: they must not in fact know what's going wrong from our POV. We need their critical attention, I believe, exactly ***because*** they don't know the mechanism -and still they can point out its weaknesses.

agreed.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I also took the word "boring" in the initial posting to mean either a slower paced or more relaxed effect. Not boring in it's literal sense.
And I'd be surprised if anyone really thought that a boring (literal meaning) effect was being advocated.

It's a shame that a very good topic may get bogged down needlessly

Steve
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Kambiz, BoB and Dr. Spector are giving here some of the best advice you will get from the forum

While most of the people here are comming from the magic world ,they tend to think that mentalism is like magic
Well, it isn't. Maybe some methods are the same but that is all.
Building a show is not about quiq or long effects, its about theater, about the audience , about emotions etc

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Lior,

How is that unlike magic?

Respect,
Billy
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
I forgot to mention Christian & Katalina for great advice as well.

Billy-one : I love magic. And there are many good magicians.
But magic effects are like acrobatics effects. They generate WOW from the audience
Mentalisem generate much more

Lior
The Lior Touch
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Lior,
Thanks, and next time I will be matching your bets on the Roulette table.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Lior,

I respectfully disagree.

Respect,
Billy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Billy-

Kindly explain what you are disagreeing with and why. Lior is one of the top mentalists in the world and certainly knows what he is talking about.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Mr. Cassidy,

I respect Lior and his body of work, however I disagree with anyone that says magic "wows" an audience, as if excluding any other impact on the audience. I have witnessed magic making grown men cry (docc Hilfords ball in tube), I have made couples feel united, I have swooned women with magic (not bragging), and seen magicians (myself included, again not bragging) fill a room with laughter and joy.

Yes, Magic WOWs an audience..but it also does so much more!

Mentalism, can have a diffrent effect on people then magic. Yet, diffrent magic effects can have diffrent effects on people. Diffrent performance styles can alter reactions, ect. ect.

My eyes welled up with tears when I went to my first art museum, also when I watched Forrest Gump for the first time....diffrent mediums that evoked the same emotions, yet Lior believes that mentalism is seperate then magic in that mentalism brings more to the table? Sorry, but in my opinion he cant be more wrong.

Respect,
Billy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I think you are misinterpreting Lior. You should remember that English isn't his first language. I don't believe Lior thinks that mentalism "brings more to the table" than magic (although it certainly does create a different impression in the minds of an audience), just that mentalism and magic are fundamentally different art forms. It seems that many posters here, particularly newcomers, don't really understand that.

Good thoughts,

Bob
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Billy

Just because one says one thing doesn't exclude all other things. I think magic wows an audience but I would be meaning it shakes them up. By the very nature everyone interprets things differently all else is implied.

Really, how can you nitpic Lior. Watch his video. I mean if this is all you can come up with to respectfully disagree you should perhaps think through things more.

I'll say if you want to post on the Café there are plenty of posts to reply to that could use the response. Seriously.

John
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Is Billy the new "Thomas"? Or are they one of the same?
Just my weekend ramblings.....
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
John,

Again, I never said anything in regards to Liors body of work. He is good. It just seemed like he missed the mark on his reply to me, regarding the diffrence between magic and mentalism. I didn't want to write a long response stating the many reasons I disagree, as they didn't and don't matter.

I think we need to remember that mentalism is a performing art, it can create what we want it to (assuming the performance chops are good enough).
Magic can do the same and this is coming from a card worker, not someone who does large performance pieces.

P.S. who is thomas?

Respect,
Billy
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2011-10-14 15:15, mastermindreader wrote:
I think you are misinterpreting Lior. You should remember that English isn't his first language. I don't believe Lior thinks that mentalism "brings more to the table" than magic (although it certainly does create a different impression in the minds of an audience), just that mentalism and magic are fundamentally different art forms. It seems that many posters here, particularly newcomers, don't really understand that.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Thanks Bob
You understand me.

Don't get me wrong Billy, I love magic and I do magic from time to time.
( after I did some mentalism)
But most magicians are just technician and offer nothing to their audience
I think it is 5% of good magicians and 92% not so good

My English is not good enough to express all my thoughts about the art.
But all the rest here do it very well

Lior
The Lior Touch
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I remember Lior lecturing in London at Tabula Mentis one year, and it was massively clear how much he loves mentalism and the talent and fun that drives what he does forwards...there's a lot of power and energy when he shared his thinking with us...it was great...

for me, magic is sometimes more of a show and tell, than a sharing...even the patter is a constant update of what is going on "so...we'll take your card and pop it roughly halfway into the deck..."

yes, I know! I have eyes! I can see that..tell me something interesting or talk to me like a human being...

I know its not always like that, I love my card magic and mentalism (lennart, lewis jones, basil horwitz's stuff in particular)..

just like mentalism can just be a huge ego engorgement..."ooooh look at me and my facial hair!".

Lior doesn't have facial hair - but if he did, he's have one of the best beards in the business!
I've asked to be banned
Billy-one
View Profile
Inner circle
IOWA
1028 Posts

Profile of Billy-one
Lior,

I respect and agree fully with your idea that most magicians are "bad" and technicians (and bad technicians). However, on the other end the of spectrum, I think most mentalists are equally bad, yet instead of being technicians they are just socially awkward (not to say many magicians are not).

Not to open a diffrent can of worms, but the art of magic and mentalism often pull from the same pool. Many times these people lack general social skills, leading to bad performers.

Yet, the diffrence in mentalism versus magic at a technical level can validate the idea that magicians are worse presenters. This is due to the fact that a person can sit in a basement and practice palming a coin until its perfect, where a mentalist has to interact with people to "perfect" the routine. The diffrence can create better performers in mentalism, yet this is not often the case and only really subject to casual entertainers.

Respect,
Billy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Order of effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL