The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to perform the first time? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Smile I've been thinking about performing. I'm 13 years old now. Where should I perform first? At my high school? In my backyard?

Thanks
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1043 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
First thing to do is make sure you have got plenty of practice in front of your friends and family. That is what I would do when I was your age. After many years and lots of money spent, you can try putting together a show for people other than friends and family. Practice and perform as much as possible because experience is the best learning tool. Good luck.

Micheal Leath
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Thanks but WHERE should I perform first? The street, at school, do stage magic in my backyard?
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1043 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Definitely not the streets right now. Stick to your living room and backyard for now. If your school ever has a talent show, then participate in that. I was in the Drama class so I would perform at shows that our class would put on. Remember it will take years before you are ready to venture out into other areas.

Micheal Leath
Tom Trix
View Profile
Regular user
Copenhagen,Denmark
113 Posts

Profile of Tom Trix
If you have the right feeling, go for it and perform at your high school, but of course if it is a stage show for several hundred, perhaps you will feel nervous and ***** in your pants. I did my first show at my school in Norway for 700 people when I was only 10 years old. From this experience you will know within your heart and soul, that you have a given gift as an entertainer, or not. It doesn`t matter what trickery you do on stage, but talk all the time, smile and win your audience over. Be a showman, train very hard on your routine and presentation. Know your tricks in and out, so you can do them without any problems. If you don`t feel ready to do it, invest some money in only one book, Showmanship for magicians by Dariel Fitzkee. This book has no tricks explanations, but you will learn real showmanship. It`s the bible for every magician even though it was written in 1943. Sorry if my advice seems to be a little hard. I really wish you good luck. There is no business like showbusiness.
All the best
Tom Trix
There is no business like Showbusiness.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Dbzkid999,

It is good advice that you should stick to performing for your friends and family for the time being. If you feel you are ready, you might want to try organizing a show to perform at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or some other time when you might get together with your extended family. You may also want to try putting together a show for your friends. As others mentioned, you should try doing these shows in your backyard, living room, etc.

Performing in the halls at your high school might be difficult (I'm 14 and, though I am homeschooled, I know what kids our age are like), but if you approach the situation right this type of environment would give you great performing experience.

I would suggest that you take a look at Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic if you are serious about magic. (Though I remember hearing it was out of print and it may be hard to come across. Nonetheless, it is a GREAT book and would be worth tracking down.)

And don't forget that you can always perform some impromptu magic when the opportunity presents itself.

Good Luck!

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Here's what I suggest if you are ready to perform (not just "thinking" about it). Do community service shows. Find those places that can't afford to pay for entertainment, but have entertainment-hungry audiences. Some suggestions are women's resource centers, nursing homes, children's hospital wards, runaway shelters, orphanages, etc. You'll be performing in front of real audiences and be doing something for your fellow man at the same time. But make sure of two things:

1. It's not a venue where a paid magician has performed or is likely to perform at.

2. You practice, rehearse, and do your best just as if you were being paid. Just because it's free doesn't mean you can throw something together and not be committed. These people are investing their time and attention in your show and you'd better deserve it.

Having said all that, most audiences I've had at community service shows are some of the best audiences I've had. They are thrilled to see great magic and entertainment.

Good Luck,

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Adam,

Mike offered the best advice..couldn't have said it better myself. Trust him on this. Well done Mike!!

Best of luck on your magic Adam. Smile
blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
My advice is to stay away from people you don't know well berfore you preactise and gain more experience, because it's much more common the shaky performer sindrome while doing magic for strangers. Smile
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Amen, Mike.

Adam, good luck! Smile
..::damienfell::..
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
Perform anywhere. Your house, a restaurant, school, streets. Just make sure you have a trick with you unless it's impromptu. Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
montag
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
8 Posts

Profile of montag
birthday parties trust me
with death comes new life
never seek sanctuary were the devil is king
if you love something let it go, if it loves you it will come back

john plumadore
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
I recomend performing infromt of your family first. They are the ones who will support you even if you do a bad trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to perform the first time? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL