The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Historical Badasses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Didn't some British General once say that if you claim you're not afraid to die you're either a liar or a Gurkha?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-16 18:24, Woland wrote:
As for Gurkhas, here's a not atypical example:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.......taranjan

Shresta. Let's remember that name. Because he is truly a badass!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
And just because Critter said it in the "Tommy..." thread...The Who. I don't need to give a reason, because it's the fraggin' Who! Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
A slightly different version of the story is here, with pictures of the hero:

http://xnepali.net/a-gurkha-soldier-who-......f-india/

and here:

http://archives.myrepublica.com/portal/i......id=27100

Twenty-six of the 1,356 Victoria Crosses awarded have gone to Gurkhas or officers serving with them.

Recently deceased Bahadur Pun received the award in the Second World War:

Quote:
War Office, 9th November, 1944

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS to:-

No. 10119 Rifleman Tulbahadur [sic] Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on 23 June 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

The cross fire was so intense that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupants. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.
His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.
—Supplement to the London Gazette, 7 November 1944 (dated 9 November 1944)

Amazingly, Bahadur Pun was initially refused the right to settle in England, where he thought he would retire for better medical care:

Quote:
In later life Mr Pun suffered from ill-health, including heart problems, asthma and diabetes. He had difficulties getting medical attention and the medical supplies in Nepal, which were needed to keep him alive. He lived at the foothills of the Himalayas in Nepal at 4,000 feet. His house has no proper roof, no electricity, and no running water. In a statement given to his solicitors, Howe & Co, of Ealing, West London, Mr Pun stated that his home had no sanitation and that he was therefore obliged to dig a hole in the surrounding fields in order to pass as a toilet. He told the British press that he was in constant fear of landslides during the Nepalese monsoon season.

Mr Pun received a British Army pension of £132 (GBP) per month. In order to receive his monthly pension he had to be driven for three hours and then walk for one full day (being carried by two or three men in a wicker basket) to the Gurkha army camp at Pokhara. If he had ever failed to appear in person at the camp, he would not have received that month's pension.

Mr Pun applied in 2006 to the British Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal, for a visa to settle in the United Kingdom, particularly because of his ill-health and his desire to be with his veteran comrades in the United Kingdom. A British Entry Clearance Officer refused his application for settlement on the ground that he had "failed to demonstrate strong ties with the UK".

Pun then lodged an appeal against the immigration decision through his solicitors, Howe & Co. The immigration appeal was listed to be heard in August 2007 in London.

On 1 June 2007, following widespread media publicity of the British public's support of Pun's case, the Asylum & Immigration Minister Liam Byrne announced:
Quote:
“ The circumstances surrounding Tul Bahadur Pun's case are clearly exceptional, and in the light of this the Home Secretary, John Reid, and I have reviewed the case and made the decision to grant Mr Pun a settlement visa immediately.

This decision was not taken lightly and reflects the extraordinary nature of this case, in particular Mr Pun's heroic record in service of Britain which saw him awarded the Victoria Cross. It is entirely right that this record should not only be recognised but honoured.

There has always been scope to grant settlement in the UK to ex-Gurkhas who have retired before July 1997, and who do not meet the requirements in the immigration rules. As on this occasion, discretion may be exercised on a case by case basis. We have also taken into consideration his current medical condition.

Pun began his journey to Britain on 1 July 2007. Around one thousand people turned up to see him off. There were traditional Nepali bands outside his home and a motorcade of around 30-50 cars and motorbikes took him to the airport so he could fly to Kathmandu.[5] One of those who turned up to say farewell was old Gurkha friend and fellow VC recipient Lachhiman Gurung, 90, who lost a hand to a Japanese grenade in 1945.

This is the sort of thing Kipling was describing in his poem "Tommy."

Quote:
Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Jack Johnson. With every paper in the Country calling him the N-Word and screaming for his downfall he just smiled, ****ed white chicks, and knocked people out.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The guy who invented the Atom Bomb.

Now we have the ability to annihilate the whole human race.

Badass to the nth degree...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Spartans. At their peak, not the tourist attraction Spartans of later years.

Also, Navy UDT's. In WWII they often swam onto hostile beaches in shorts carrying nothing but a knife and a bag of explosives. And their logo was a frog chomping on a cigar with a bomb in his hand.
~Will Rogers
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 12:04, critter wrote:
Jack Johnson. With every paper in the Country calling him the N-Word and screaming for his downfall he just smiled, ****ed white chicks, and knocked people out.

Jack Johnson vs. Rocky Marchiano. There's a dream fight.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
John "Liver-Eating" Johnson. He waged war on the Crow Indian nation. And won.

http://badassoftheweek.com/livereating.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Now that, Mr Marlin, is a true badass. Well done!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 12:27, NicholasD wrote:
Jack Johnson vs. Rocky Marchiano. There's a dream fight.

Johnson would have taken him apart, 4 times out of 5. Better dream fight: Johnson vs. Joe Louis
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
How about Chuck Norris?
Dennis Michael
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Chuck Norris is a myth.
~Will Rogers
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
"From the fury of the Northmen deliver us, O Lord."

Vikings, take your pick. Yeah they were badasses
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a mild obsession with the Berserkers.
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-10-17 12:17, critter wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Spartans.

I mentioned Plutarch's Lives. There be Spartans in that book, my friend.

Never read it? I'll send you a copy. Put in on your Amazon wish list, and it's yours.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
What about Erich Hartmann? I refer not to his aerial exploits, but to his comportment as a POW.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-10-18 05:09, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:

Never read it? I'll send you a copy. Put in on your Amazon wish list, and it's yours.

Or get the etext free from Project Gutenberg one of the few truly great sites
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Speaking of the Eastern front, Alexey Maresyev was probably more of a badass than even Erich Hatmann:

Quote:
In 1940, he graduated from Bataysk Military School of Aviation. He began his flights as a fighter pilot in August 1941. He had shot down four German aircraft by March 1942, but on 4 April 1942 his Polikarpov I-16 was shot down near Staraya Russa, then occupied by Nazi Germany.

Despite being badly injured, Alexey managed to return to the Soviet-controlled territory on his own. During his 18-day long journey, his injuries deteriorated so badly that both of his legs had to be amputated below the knee. Desperate to return to his fighter pilot career, he subjected himself to near a year of exercise to master the control of his prosthetic devices, and succeeded at that, returning to flying in June 1943.

During a dog fight in August 1943, he shot down three German FW-190 fighters. In total, he completed 86 combat flights and shot down 11 German warplanes. He was awarded the Golden Star of the Hero of the Soviet Union (August 24, 1943), the highest military decoration of the USSR.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-10-18 05:09, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:

I did used to have a book called "Plutarch on Sparta" that had excerpts from those Lives but it somehow vanished.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Historical Badasses (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL