The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ashes on Forearm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Y'all know the ashes on the forearm trick... where you burn a prediction and then rub the ashes on your forearem and the prediciton shows up. My question is,
What are the best type of ashes to use? When I burn paper, I turns into black "leafy" type of ash, instead of a fine powdery black soot that would be ideal. How do you all go about doing this trick? I have yet to produce an ash that is the right quality. Also, what is the best thing to use on your forearm for the setup? Smile
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
Adrian,

I have the Flicking Fingers movie and they do a similiar routine as Ashes on Arm but they go a few steps further. Anyway they recommend you use "Post It" style notes because the paper is just right so that when it burns it has the right consistency. Do not use the sticky portion though. Also the tip of a regular bar of soap should do the trick for the setup. Good luck.
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
If I'm using an expendable deck, I just have the spec fold the card (NOT plastic coated) and I burn it over an ashtray and then just stick my figers in the ashes and whipe them on myself. My arms are covered in tattoos, so I usually do it on my chest or neck. Try a thin glue stick, very lightly, for the setup.

Good luck!

Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
You might put a little carbon or ash of your choice in an ashtray and then burn your paper in the ashtray along with the carbon already there, nobody should notice the ash in the tray and you will be assured of having enough ash. It's been many years since I did this effect but I always used Ivory bar soap and a small camel hair paint brush. I have used many different soaps when doing this effect impromptu and I have never found a soap that didn't work.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Thanks guys. That "Camel hair brush" idea might be closest thing I've heard so far to solving my problem. I have found that if I rub too lightly, no ashes stick, but if I rub them on in such a manner to make them stick, it smears the soap! The "dusting for fingerprints" type of brush and idea makes sense I guess. Now I'd have to find a good patter though, as I still want the effect to be "the exorcist arm" type of thing and not "the magic brush", so I'd have to be creative in how I'd take heat off the brush. Any ideas?
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Adrian, He means to use the brush to paint the soap on, not to dust the ashes...
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Oh Smile Silly me...
Thanks for your help everyone Smile
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Yes, MagicAndBlackjack is correct. I use the brush to write the message. I just use my hand to wipe the ashes on my arm. It is messy but a damp towel takes care of the mess. As far as paper goes, I used just ordinary paper. Cigar or Cigarette ash works just fine, if performing for adults.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Although I don't own it and can't give you a review there is a commercial version of this effect available, "Ash Pen."

[outdated link]

DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The edge of a Chapstick works just fine. It is not that visible even in short sleeves. Any ash will stick to it, especially cigarette or cigar ash. This works well in a bar/club venue.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
PyroDevil
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
156 Posts

Profile of PyroDevil
Do the Daryl Version on one of the Card Revelations series. He uses Rubber Cement to do the trick, It's a really cool Ashes to arm.
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
Those little bars of soap you get in motels work just wonderfully. A quick slice with a pocketknife and you have the perfect tip. They also pack nicely in a magic case.

I wouldn't be so quick to let go of a good idea just because you misunderstood. The idea of dusting your arm with a make-up brush, ala fingerprinting not only might set the right mood for the illusion, but think about your fingers after using the "apply by hand" technique now used... quite a mess. I like the idea and have the perfect old make-up brush for the job. So thanks for misunderstanding, sometimes it's kismet.

Blessin's

Bear
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Agree with Harry, chap stick works and its more impromptu. I usually won't carry some soap around.
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
Hum, sorry, I speak french so I don't know what's a "Chapstick". Anybody can tell me. Smile
I really like this trick. Smile
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Lip balm......it's mositurizer for cahped lips.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Howdy:

You can find lots of cool things to do the message with. For instance check out various 'glue' pens, etc. Almost anything that is clear and leaves a slightly tacky surface will work fine.

I used to have them write the name on a piece of flash paper and when I wadded it up I would sneak a piece of very porous charcoal into it. I can't remember what it was we used, but I think it was fish tank filter charcoal. Paper goes up with maximum effect leaving this black residue, etc. Very neat. Best,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
Dark Magician
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Dark Magician
I have seen this done before with the ash of a paper, but like you said, when you attempt it the ash is leafy, however i havent seen brad's method attempted, however it does sound like a good idea
"There is no light in the darkess, yet its cleary visable in the human mind"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ashes on Forearm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL