The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alan Rorrison // Facebook Test iPhone App - LIMITED TO 50 COPIES (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
A few folks have been asking how many are left. Just now there is only 12!
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Small update processing in the morning. It will automatically update on ur phone folks.
MrWadd
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MrWadd
I am the proud owner of The Facebook test. It truly is a brilliant and organic piece of magic and it is a positive step away from the typical iPhone Apps that anybody can download from the app store. The routine and method is itself genius and will only take you a few minutes to get it working.

I would positively say its one of Alan's finest releases to date.

Buy it. Buy it now.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Cheers man I'm happy you liked it.
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
225 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
So it seems to be a web app?!?!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Sounds great but I'm a bit confused. Is it web-based or an app direct from the iphone screen? I'm not a facebooker but I understand there is a facebook app for the iphone so I'm wondering that it wouldn't make sense to launch from a browser when most people would expect one to launch FB from their iphone app. Does that make sense?
Andrew Sway
View Profile
Loyal user
-------
225 Posts

Profile of Andrew Sway
Hi Roger
you can bookmark a webside to your homescreen.... the iphone creates an icon of the favicon it looks the same as an app....try it...
open your browser go to a website and the click the sqare with the arrow at the bottom and choose to homescreen and see what happens
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
It's desigened using the web app system bur works as a native app.!it looks like the iPhone Facebook app and needs no Internet connection to work!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Thanks guys. You learn something new every day!
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Doesn't this naturally lead the spectator to think, ok do this with my own phone? My audience, being mainly young girls would all whip out there iphones and blackberries and demand I do it again on their phone. You would then be resorting to conventional methods, debunking and devaluing the organic nature of the original effect, No?
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
hokus
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of hokus
Is it work any other language?
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Michael. I have never had any one do this. The main reason I put forward to using my own fone is to protect everyone else's privacy. hokus. its only in english mate.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I love this effect, but find the messages very foreign to those of us in the US. They just aren't in a language or context my friends would use.

Great trick, but in it's current format it isn't useful for me. It would be great to have a US version, and I can't think it would be that hard to do. I would be more than willing to help construct the text.

Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
SAMMY. I am already working on it.. I am having some oen form over there even write the messages etc so there is no language issues. update will be up asap
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Thanks Alan. I can't wait!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
256 Posts

Profile of Shikina
Based on the comments of other folks in this thread, I went ahead and purchased this app. Sadly, I think I wasted my money. No offense intended to Alan, who seems like a wonderful guy, and great magician. But I think this is bad to the point of unusable, at least for me, and here's why:

1. Let's start with the most obvious. This doesn't look like facebook's app. Perhaps facebook has a slight design variation on their American app which they distribute in Europe (though I doubt it) but the bottom line is that as soon as I opened the app, my first thought was I would know immediately that this was not the same facebook app I use every day. And that's the key point - most young-ish people, particularly anybody with a smart phone, is likely to have spent SO MUCH TIME on their fb app that unless this one was a pitch perfect clone, they would recognize the discrepancies nearly right away.

2. As has been pointed out several times in this thread, the language is a serious issue for any non-British performer. Reading through the threads initially I figured that there were a few Britishisms sprinkled throughout, but, given the fact that I've done some traveling in my time, I imagined that I'd be able to play it off as the writings of friends acquired overseas. Yeah... not so much. I do understand that Alan is working on updating the language, and that's good. But until then, the language is undoubtedly a distraction for North American performers.

3. The method (part 1): I'm sorry but this is where any last glimmer of hope for this app was lost on me. This does NOT utilize the news stream. Yes, I know that Alan alludes to this in the ad copy, although I admit that I glossed over this detail in my rush to acquire the app, but in retrospect - this dooms the app. I say that because it is the news stream that updates constantly. Not the messages. I'm a heavy facebook user, and I only receive roughly 1-2 new facebook messages a month, as opposed to the hundreds/thousands of updates I receive a day. My first though if somebody performed this routine on me, was that they had simply memorized the content of their own messages. In fact, far from being unfeasible, I actually think that one could memorize the contents of their messages quite easily, and build an effect out of that which would be practical, virtually impromptu, and as hard-hitting as this one.

4. The method (part 2): Without getting into the method used, let me say that the user takes an action (albeit a relatively innocuous one) that is not described in the teaser copy. But here's the thing, if one was going to build a method around that small action, than it didn't need to be confined to the fb messages! This method would have allowed for using the News Stream if only the method would have been extended a little bit. I know this might sound vague, but I am trying my best to not get too deep into the actual workings.

Long story short: if you're going to confine the method such that the user is choosing from a more limited range of options (as is the case in with fb messages), than I would prefer to use a classic technique, such as eq**v*q*e or a f**h*ng system in order to arrive at the word.

Once the additional requirement was thrown in, limiting the choices to just the messages represents, to my mind, a blown opportunity.

5. The method (part 3): So in addition to all the other things mentioned thus far, what hasn't been discussed is how much Spectator Management is needed to pull this off. That's because if the user so much as begins to try and scroll through your app, the gig is up and you are exposed. Seriously?! For 24 Pounds ($41 USD) would it have been to much to expect that the app might have been loaded with enough pre-packaged content to allow the user some simulacrum of the real facebook app experience? Considering all the other limitations imposed by this method, why then force the magician to have to control his spectator to this extent? Had the effect been more 'natural' and direct in it's method, I might have overlooked this aspect, but in combination with everything else I've mentioned so far, I consider this a fatal flaw.

6. A real opportunity was missed here by not including multiple effects. Consider how relatively easy it might have been to throw in a faux status update using the Grey Elephants in Denmark ruse; or the name of a playing card which could be f*r**d and thus revealed via the app. There are so many additional mini effects that could have been thrown into this app that would have increased the value, at not much additional development cost. I'm not calling for that just for the sake of having it. Rather, it would have made this app much more practical, because secondary effects could have been performed with the same spectators, without having to leave the app. As it's currently built, this app is a one-and-done "nothing left to see here" kind of experience. Fine, but that means that to me at least, this isn't worth the money.

Conclusions: I bought this app because I got really excited by the marketing copy, and the early reviews. I got so excited by the notion that after performing this effect, I would be able to use Angelo Carbone's Magic-SMS app to send a follow up text to the facebook friend which had just been referenced, and his/her text back would contain the spectators though of card/color, that I didn't stop to ask the right questions about this product.

Having seen it, I know I won't perform it, at least not in its current form. That said, I'm still intrigued by using facebook on my phone in the context of a magic effect. I will probably though just use a classic d**bl* w**t*ng technique to accomplish it, and frankly, I believe I will be able to produce an effect that's harder hitting, cost-effective, and more practical than this one.
magicmann
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of magicmann
I have just purchased this and I am very happy. This is identicle to my facebook app on the iphone and the method is great.
This is different to the normal magic apps

Paul
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Sorry you didn't like it mate but as others will tell you its pretty much identical to the Facebook app.. maybe its time for you to update urs? Again ill never be able to please everyone. I'm just happy the over all feedback is great. thanx forlks
Geraint
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Geraint
I tend to stay in my own little welsh bubble when it comes to Magic, and I don't think I've bought something new since Josh Jay's Bluff shift download like 2 years ago.

However, there are going to be times in your life when you don't have a deck of cards on you, you won't have money in your wallet cause you haven't worked hard enough, and that gimmick that you love
has been left at home.

iPhone magic is PERFECT for these situations, and Alan has incorporated a classic effect into a modern necessity.
It's been said that this doesn't look like Facebook, but what I think they mean is that this doesn't look like THEIR Facebook as this one is full of entirely fictional friends and updates, and I'm sure your personal ones are not. It looks exactly like Facebook, and doing a table-hopping gig, nobody will even look at it long enough to play spot the difference.

If you've got an iphone and a brain you should pick this effect up.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Alan,
Any update on the "American" language update?

Thanks,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alan Rorrison // Facebook Test iPhone App - LIMITED TO 50 COPIES (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL