The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Striking vanish undone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gforster
View Profile
Regular user
californian living in wisconsin
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
I was just practicing the striking vanish for use with "Recap" and looking for alternative handlings. Much to my amazement, I found that the striking vanish can be done in reverse (sorta) for a "striking production." With a little practice it was looking very, very clean. This may or may not be out there already in print somewhere, and if it is and this post is considered exposure, please modify it. Also, if anyone does know of this in print, can you please tell me where so that I can learn some variations for it. Thank you all in advance.
EVENTVS STVLTORVM MAGISTER
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Ah, played with that before...I used it with ring and string often to throw the ring back on but sideways instead of "dropping" it iinto a cupped hand.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
827 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Sounds like a pretty cool little variation. Good way to think outside the box. Nice job gforster. I've been trying to do the Striking vanish with a coin but for some reason the coin keeps talking when I do the vanish, if you guys get what I'm saying. Any advice???

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
hold the pen or wand closer towards the tip of said pen or wand, so that the inside of your hand isn't holding any of the wand so there will be no click.
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
MacGyver's got it. Of course, I've slipped up sometimes and had it click and the spectator was more impressed, bucause they heard it "go." Remember, there are always ways to play off a mistake, sometimes for an even better effect.
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Hi gforster,

The reverse striking vanish (or striking production)is used by Michael Ammar in his Cups and Balls routine to produce the first ball. I don't recall he has a formal name for that sleight except to call it a striking vanish in reverse.

Ammar's Cups and Balls routine is explained in detail in the book "Magic of Michael Ammar", and also in the The Greater Magic video library teach-in sessions produced by Stevens Magic Emporium, and in one other early Ammar video, the title of which I can't recall now.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
crazyhands
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of crazyhands
In The Magic of Michael Ammar he uses this "Striking Vanish" (pun intended) for the coin in pen cap, maybe this reverse strike could be used in this cool little impromptu effect.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The move is not new--it has been around virtually as long as the vanish, and is variously credited to different people. It has been independently discovered (often accidentally!) by just about everyone who's spent time with the vanish.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
gforster
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of gforster
Thanks all for the help with references. I'm clearly not the creator of this move (which, believe me, doesn't bother me), but at least it is something in line with what others have discovered and used. At least it's not something where people say "man, that's pointless, why would you ever think of that." It's an encouraging thing to be able to come up with something that has a use - whether someone else came up with it before or not. Again, thanks all for your help.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2952 Posts

Profile of niva
As for the coin talking, MacGyver is right. That's what youshould do.

Yet, you may hit the coin a few times before the vanish, so that you accustom the spectators to the sound, IF it happens. So that if it talks during the vanish it will look like the coin vanished as you hit it.

Hope this helps. Smile
Yours,

Ivan
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Great tip, niva! I, too, have been working on this vanish (for cups and balls), naturally have seen it done with coins, so I had to try it (months ago). I'll have to give your input a try. Sounds good to me. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2952 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks.

This sleight is like a camera trick. It's plain beautiful.
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Striking vanish undone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL