The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you end your show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I end all of my children shows with the production of a real rabbit. Of course this is hugely successful with the children.

I am now booked for a magic show on December 11th. The show will be at the newly renovated Hyatt, in New Orleans. The client that booked me, said that the Hyatt does not want any live animals at the hotel.

The magic show will be for children ages 3-12. I'm now wondering what to finish my show with that would be almost as good as my real rabbit ending.

What do you end your magic show with?
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Why don't they want any live animals? I have performed at numerous hotels that have a no pet policy and yet the animals still come and I have never run into any problems.

I only end one of my programs with the rabbit. The other programs usually end with a production of some sort. A square circle is usually a good way to do this.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My next to last trick is the chicken sword, and my last trick is always my audience participation club juggling routine.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3389 Posts

Profile of Julie
Many folks use Hippity Hop Rabbits to close kiddie shows...

Julie
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Thanks Julie!

You gave me an idea. I do not have Hippity Hop rabbits, but I do have Run Rabbit Run, and Fraidy cat Rabbits. I could do those right before I do a mirror box trick which I would use to produce Christmas candy to give out to the kids.

Please keep the ideas coming. I'm still open to suggestions.

Al, unfortunately, I do not juggle.

Chris
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3389 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2011-10-20 15:31, wizardpa wrote:
Thanks Julie!

You gave me an idea. I do not have Hippity Hop rabbits, but I do have Run Rabbit Run, and Fraidy cat Rabbits. I could do those right before I do a mirror box trick which I would use to produce Christmas candy to give out to the kids.

Please keep the ideas coming. I'm still open to suggestions.

Al, unfortunately, I do not juggle.

Chris

I think Fraidy Cat Rabbit would be the stronger of those two...

Julie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I tend to end with Silk Cascade (Fountain of Silks).

WizardPa, If you're interested, it doesn't take long to learn to juggle 3 scarves and a bit longer to juggle 3 beanbags. You'd be surprised at how well a little juggling with some fun writing will go over.

Just don't bill yourself as a juggler.

-Mary Mowder
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I use the small "Dream Bag" from Royal Magic. I start the show with a number of props in the "Magic Bag," using those props throughout the show, then explain that I have the grand finale in the magic bag - supposedly a 5x5 clear plastic box that I will use for a major production. Reaching into the bag, one final time, I find that I forgot to pack the production box. ("Ooops! Can't have a grand finale without a big production.") What to do, what to do??? How about we use the bag itself for the production? Anyway, you get the idea.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Chris
I'm not a ventriloquist. The tricks that you are talking about are standard magicians props, you need to finish with a trade mark routine. I would suggest a sing along finish using your puppet.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I end on a puppet routine. I am not a great vent, but the routine knocks the socks off the opposition. I know this has been debated to death in the past, but with a bit of imagination there are far stronger endings than a rabbit.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Now that was another idea I thought of Al. I usually begin my show with my Axtell, hands free puppet,Taco, as seen with me in my picture. He is a big success. The only reason I thought about not ending with him is that some of the younger kids actually do think that he is a real bird, and I like to keep that illusion alive. But you gave me another idea, Al.
I actually have 2 Taco's, one hands free and the other hands on. I could do my regular hands free opening routine with Taco. Then, I'd carry him on his perch and put him behind a curtain. My assistant would actually put him into the carry crate I made for him. Then I'd do several Christmas related tricks and such. Then when I'm ready to finish my show, I go behind the curtain and come out with my hands on Taco puppet. I'm real handy at building stuff and I have enough time to build something, say, to make him vanish. Of course, Taco, would not be too keen on the idea once he knew what I planned to do to him. Now that would be a great closer. I just need to figure what would be a best way to make him vanish.
Chris
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I end one version of the show with the Linking Rings. If they want a slightly longer show, I add the Chair Suspension. In another show, I end with Rich Hill's Spikes illusion.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3389 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2011-10-20 17:24, wizardpa wrote:

...I actually have 2 Taco's, one hands free and the other hands on. I could do my regular hands free opening routine with Taco. Then, I'd carry him on his perch and put him behind a curtain. My assistant would actually put him into the carry crate I made for him. Then I'd do several Christmas related tricks and such. Then when I'm ready to finish my show, I go behind the curtain and come out with my hands on Taco puppet. I'm real handy at building stuff and I have enough time to build something, say, to make him vanish. Of course, Taco, would not be too keen on the idea once he knew what I planned to do to him. Now that would be a great closer. I just need to figure what would be a best way to make him vanish.
Chris

There are strong arguments both pro & con, but certainly one consideration is that it may not be advisable to end with the character vanishing--the kiddies might tend to worry about what happened to your friend Taco. Smile

Julie
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2284 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-10-20 18:39, Julie wrote: There are strong arguments both pro & con, but certainly one consideration is that it may not be advisable to end with the character vanishing--the kiddies might tend to worry about what happened to your friend Taco. Smile
I agree with Julie... not only for the end of the show, but for any vanish. If something vanishes and doesn't re-appear elsewhere, it leaves the audence to try to figure out where it went. If the item re-appears, it is stronger and eliminates at least one puzzle for the audience to pick apart.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
I almost always end with my die box or PB&j routine. Both get applause at the end so its a natural thing to just say thank you and good night!
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Yea, Your probably right about this. It would be the same if I produced a bunny and then vanished it without the children getting to meet it. That's what makes the bunny production so great.
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
Silk to Egg works for me.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Sounds like you have a perfect closer with your hands-on puppet. Simply perform a suitable routine with the puppet, end the show, and then take the bird out to meet the kids, just as you let them pet your rabbit. As Tony says, this is a much stronger ending than a rabbit production, the kids will actually be able to talk to Taco, and they will enjoy it more than a real bunny.
It also means your puppet will be taking a bow alongside you to close the show - which is a nice little touch. Though normally, it's better to end the show alone on stage, having a puppet is very strong.
Potty Smile
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Sounds like a great idea Potty. I have the perfect trick I can close with, using my Hands on Puppet, Taco. It's a card trick. I have someone choose a card from a deck of cards. A magicians hat is shown to be empty and the cards are placed into the hat. I then put an end of a rope in Taco's mouth and he then proceeds to lasso the card picked by the audience member.

Using the hands on Taco after using the hands free Taco at the beginning of the show, should really surprise some people.

I'll even say something like; "Taco, my pet Toucan, is going to do the last trick for today's magic show."
I'll then put on the arm illusion and then I'll get my hands on Taco. I can do this in one minutes time.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
A weasel escapes in a car then my clapometer explodes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you end your show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL