The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks to perform at your school (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magical65stang
View Profile
New user
Turlock, CA
73 Posts

Profile of magical65stang
Rob has a good point. Sleight of hand will give you an instant reputation if you practice it first. Now if you want to work a pen through the BILL trick in the middle of your money routine that would be a hit too.

Learning multiple card tricks are great too. You can do so many clean tricks with a normal deck of cards. They can see everything and have no reason to suspect anything but normality.

Don't use marked decks like said before it could really backfire. Just learn some card forces so you can instantly know what card your friends have selected. Good luck and have fun!
"I'm not a liar, you just don't see the truth."
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I wouldn't advise this but in high school, I was very heavily into escapes. I would bring a 100 feet of rope with me and at lunch (after I was eating of course) I would challenge people to tie me up any way they could. I was tied to benches, chairs, the flagpole, hog-tied, and mummy tied. I'd also bring my handcuffs, and people would bring theirs from home.

Actually there was a girl in my driver's ed. class who was a police explyer, and she challenged me once to get out of her handcuffs from home after she frisked me thoroughly. She brought them on a random day and I made good my escape.

You have to remember I grew up in Florida so the hallways were outside. The teachers also knew me and requested my magic as much as the students which gave me some lee-way with some of my props. I always, ALWAYS brought a deck of cards and I did mostly in their hands magic such as Bill Malone's "My Favorite Opener", and that really freaked them out. I too did the "Rising Cards", and people would literally run down the halls in that trick. I wore a pouch that I brought my magic in. Scotch and Soda was another popular one too.

If I were you I wouldn't bring anything to school that's too expensive. I think a deck of cards, a little rope, for cut 'n' restored rope, scissors, the unequal rope trick, and Scotch and Soda would give you plenty to entertain with.

Also learn as much sleight of hand (and master it) as you can. Boy, if I knew what I know now and had some of the tricks I have now, I really would've fried them badly... Smile Smile

Oh yes I had this miniature mental epic chalkboard too that I brought, and that really got 'em good too. Now I'm a little biased as far as I.T. goes so keep that in mind when I say I wouldn't even bother just because of the nature of the stuff, lighting conditions (most classrooms are well-lit), and also like others have said people like to grab for things. Good luck, and thanks for bringing up such fond memories.

Ed, (Eddini) Smile Smile Smile
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Next week at my school, there's going a talent show! My dad told me to do magic there but what should I do?

The only things I can think of that's easy to transport are my Linking Rings and Chen Lee Water Suspension.

I really want to do a Zombie Ball Routine but I can't afford a Zombie Ball yet.

Can you guys give me some ideas of what I could?

Thanks Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What all matters is who you are performing for. The close up tricks you mentioned earlier are for a small group of spectators. Never perform them for a large crowd because people in the back will be uncomfortable they won't be able to see them. The parlour-size ones you mentioned last should never be performed close up.

Keep yourself under control when performing your tricks. I did good in middle school but in 12th grade I did get in trouble two times. One time I snuck into another school showing students my close up tricks in the lunch room. I had a big crowd around me. Someone tattle tailed on me. The school staff took me into some special room and gave me a hard lecture telling me to never come to their school again. Before I left the room I showed them the sponge ball. They were amazed. The still put me out, but with smiles on their faces.

The second time I got in trouble was when I was performing next to a couple students during class time. My teacher gave me a lecture for doing that.

I use to do magic at talent shows, pep rallys, etc. in my schools. Years after I graduated, former school mates see me and say, "Did you do magic? I saw you in..."

A good trick for you to do on stage in a school is "The Coloring Book." I like to use it for educational lines. I'll just make it short:

"If you kids read your homework too fast you are not getting the full picture." (Outlines)

"Take your time and study your homework so everything you are reading is colorful to you." (Color)

"Those who do not do their homework at all, brains will be blank like this." (Blank)

I get tremendous applause from the teachers.

And follow the rules and regulations about which ones you should bring to your school as magicians mentioned to you earlier. I hope you the best.
Smile
mastermagician91
View Profile
New user
USA-CT
39 Posts

Profile of mastermagician91
I recommend vanishing objects...great for closeup.

The vanishing deck is great.

Thanks
Ricky
"Magic is not always magic...but the impossible is always possible" - Ricky Booska
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
Dbzkid999—I think you should incorporate a teacher into your talent show act. Make it funny, and let the teacher do the magic (wink wink). The teacher would of course keep mucking up your instructions until you hit them with the climax, do you see what I'm getting at? You should pick a teacher that's well known within the school.

I did something similar to a talent show a little while back. I did the dancing cane as an opener, I introduced myself then did a comedy rope routine (professor Cheers). I then "attempted" to do a cut and restored rope but the teacher was having trouble following my instructions. I then accidentally (on purpose) cut the teacher's tie in half! Of course I restored it lol, the reaction was HUGE!!!

Routines like these are much more powerful than walking on stage and just performing the Zombie. I myself LOVE the Zombie but you need a small routine not just one effect.

If you would like me to help you write a sort routine just PM, I'm happy to help.

Hope this helps you out,
Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I was thinking of doing some of McBride's stuff in his videos like the Linking Rings, Fantasio Canes, tricks with paper flowers, Chen Lee Water Suspension, Dancing Cane and Zombie Ball.

But I just wanted to keep it simple with Silk Magic and Linking Rongs first.

How about it?
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Hi,

I am a high school teacher myself, and all I can say is that those cards on the ceiling of the caféteria make A LOT of students (and staff) talk!!! Smile

A less than noble person could do Paul Harris' "Whack Your Pack" (AKA Reflex) as a bet for lunch money!!!

The last part was the devil on my left shoulder speaking (again!).

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
If the talent show next week, don't do anything new. Practice your old stuff until you get sick, then practice some more.
Who is John Galt?
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
What "simple" stage routines can I do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tricks to perform at your school (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL