We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dealing With Panhandlers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ThePrinceofManipulation
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of ThePrinceofManipulation
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to deal with people who ask you for money.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Just look at them and tell them you're working too!!

Mark. Smile
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Ask them if they have any money cause a show is about to happen.
You know why don't act naive.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Just Say NO.
I then tell them I have kids to feed
and work my a** off for my family,
and they should do the same for themselves.
They go away asap.
myself, I have no problems telling someone where to go what to do in cases like this.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
'yes I've got lots of money' why...because I work. And then if they get obnoxious, which they do... ' why do you think it's incumbent on me to support your way of life'.

Must admit it is a bit harsh, but you guys know that after grafting continuously, ones patience can get frazzled.

Mostly though I just say NO!

My 2c
James James
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
A panhandler saved my life once when I was attacked from behind, so I'm always pleasant to them.
Many of them are cons but others are too far gone to do anything but beg.

You can hand out energy bars or fast food coupons.
Never give them money.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Nak
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Nak
Offering food definitely works...those who are in need are very grateful. No matter who it is, you don't want to build bad relationships....if an ethical argument isn't enough for you, might I suggest that you don't want somebody you were less than pleasant to try to get your money by other means.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
Or....

Just talk into your sleeve and keep saying "Code RED!!!!!I have one of them right here, do I grab him now?! DO I GRAB HIM NOW???!!!!

:D
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
But what happens if he starts talking into HIS sleeve saying the same thing? Smile
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Begging is an old, old profession... and the professional beggar has heard every comeback you can think of... it's a numbers game... ask enough people for a dollar and lo & behold, a dollar appears... just smile and say no... OR give them a dollar... they're working too...
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Since I make money on the street I want to pass it around. Not to everyone, but some of the homeless need a break and I need to pass a couple bucks around.
I'm convinced if I take care of the truly needy it will come back to me. We are all out there. I've had homeless guys give me money. so says me.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 16:49, Tim Dowd wrote:
Begging is an old, old profession... and the professional beggar has heard every comeback you can think of... it's a numbers game... ask enough people for a dollar and lo & behold, a dollar appears... just smile and say no... OR give them a dollar... they're working too...

Working? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
You know why don't act naive.
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 15:30, The Great Zoobini wrote:
But what happens if he starts talking into HIS sleeve saying the same thing? Smile

We are in the presence of one imitator...
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 09:39, Bobby Maverick wrote:
Or....

Just talk into your sleeve and keep saying "Code RED!!!!!I have one of them right here, do I grab him now?! DO I GRAB HIM NOW???!!!!

:D

You mean, with the helmet in your head?
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
I am a tad harsh sometimes, when it comes to 'panhandlers' asking for money, and probably do myself a disservice by being so. I'm not so callous as to not understand where they might be in their life, and do 'feel' for those who may be considered less fortunate, in the choices they have made and what life has thrown at them.

Ultimately though, as I graft on the streets, what I ( and those that do) earn, belongs to me and mine. Even the taxman has to wait!

Life and the way you live it comes down to choice. Albeit within the parameters of what you know to be 'choice'. Those that 'panhandle' ( what an interesting expression) may only see a limited amount of choices open to them, due to their circumstance and daily mindset. It must be quite a struggle at times, to feel that this is the only way to get by.

And yes I am 'lucky' to be doing what I do, and live as I want (to a large degree). I'm not averse to conversation, or connection, however brief, with those asking for $$ because they have none, but I'll be ***ed if I'm just going to give away ( and set a precedent) $$ to those that sometimes quite blatantly won't help themselves.

And I don't mean help themselves to my money...
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 20:21, TheGiz wrote:
Since I make money on the street I want to pass it around. Not to everyone, but some of the homeless need a break and I need to pass a couple bucks around.
I'm convinced if I take care of the truly needy it will come back to me. We are all out there. I've had homeless guys give me money. so says me.

So far I like The Giz's response the best. Smile
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Quote:
On 2011-10-25 00:16, HerbLarry wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 16:49, Tim Dowd wrote:

Working? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

In some people's eyes the same sad reaction goes through the mind when watching anyone in the street soliciting money... "Why don't they get a real job?" I even heard of weekend warrior beggars who drive to the Autobahn filling stations and solicit money from customers in the carpark who make up to €800 per day... Now that's working...
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
344 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Not in a busking setting but see them frequently in front of stores. I used to always say "Sorry not today" as If I gave money to him previously and may again in the future. The response is always courteous thank you. But lately it has gotten to me how many people are really in bad situations. I don't even try to discern which are pros and those in real need anymore. If I have a bit of change in my pocket I'll give it up. This economy has really taken it's toll.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Dealing With Panhandlers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL