The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No confirmation do you show up to the gig? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I left her a message telling her if I don't hear from her by tomorrow that I will not be showing up. Hopefully this will spur her to call if she still plans on having me. Thanks for all the comments.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2462 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
For those that care. She just called and confirmed. She just opened an antique shop and has been swamped. Apparently I needed to be a little more assertive about needing a confirmation or I wouldn't show. Thanks again all.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I use ManagerSal.com (the best! Designed by a professional entertainer and lawyer). The client receives an agreement electronically within 5 minutes of getting of the phone with me. They almost always except it before the day is out and the contract has instructions to send me a deposit check within 7 days. Sal also allows to CC and Paypal, but I've never needed to use them, so I don't bother.

So this past Sunday I had a gig with a Sal confirmed show and deposit sitting in my bank account. I made my courtesy confirmation call on Friday and left a message, then called again on Sunday before I drove 45 minutes to the event. Never heard from them. Showed up, and they were definitely expecting me. Since I had the deposit and an agreement that bound both of us to the event, it was a no-brainer. Worse case scenario, I would have gotten paid to drive out there, and I would have sent them a bill for the rest of the money because they ignored the cancellation clause in the contract. Fortunately, that was all unnecessary, and everyone had a great time!
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I send a confirmation and state that the confirmation should be in my possession on date ..... if not I have liberty to take on another show the day after. for me this works. if they are with holliday or are others occupied that is thier problem. if it is not in my possession I am free to take another gig.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3913 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
If it's a client I have worked with many times, I would show.

If not...and if there's no agreement, no deposit...? Nope. I would leave clear messages AND emails to ensure the client isn't expecting me, though.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
462 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 07:39, Leland wrote:
My show is not booked until I receive a deposit. This makes it simple for me to know if I'm booked or not. Taking a deposit has also cut down on cancellations. If I haven’t heard from them and the party is approaching, I then make a call reminding them that the party is not booked, this also clears up any confusion of weather I’m booked or not.

At first I was also afraid that taking a deposit would cause issues but for the most part good honest people know how the system works and have no problems with deposits.

I changed to this approach recently. I tell the clients, "The show isn't booked or on my schedule until I get the deposit. Since there is only one weekend per week, and this is a business, that's our policy." I sleep better and if I lose a gig I don't miss it. Someone else will book me.

Also - Square-Up is GREAT!!!!!!! A huge part of our business is done via SU. We've only had 1 payment disappear after they signed and tipped and even entered an email address. A really super device!!
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
I require a $50 Deposit and a signed contract....currently use paypal for those wanting to use a credit card. If I don't get them back...a gentle email or reminder phone call does the trick. I never have a problem getting a deposit. I do include a cancellation policy in the singed "performance agreement". I refer to the deposit as a "booking fee", since I read somewhere here on the Café that legally it's best not to call it a "deposit".
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I require a deposit, simply because people will cancel and feel no need to tell you. I won't pass up an opportunity because someone doesn't send a deposit. I lost a great deal of money relying on the word of others, so I'm not so trusting, now. I don't care if it's a clergyman, because some can't be trusted - I get a deposit, if there's room for doubt. Whoever gets a deposit to me first, for the time slot, gets the show. There was one incident where a woman put off sending the deposit and someone else got the time slot from her. She learned that lesson and got a deposit to me for the following year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No confirmation do you show up to the gig? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL