The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Intro help ..for upcoming 11 yeard old Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Ok - so if anyone has read my previous post in reference to an upcoming Birthday 11 year Show - need some help with the intro start pattern - at least the sart and if anyone can give me more tips for the rest of my patterns then props to you -

I start my 2-9 year old show with - after setting up in front of them for 5-10 mintues - I put on my coat and top hat and start ..

Hi Boys and girls.. My name is MagicJac and were here to celebrate ____ birthday ... Lets give ____ a round of a appluse for this birthday ! and so and so forth
then I go into Are you ready for some Magic - ..then say wait forgot my Magic wand - I know.. its behind my cart !- proceed to pull out 1 or 2 other silly objects not wands as I pretend not to notice and they usually react ..NO ..acting surpise .then get the wilting flower - do the gig where I don't see when it drops and so forth ...until I pull out a silk that changes to the wand when they say the magic words and so forth ..

Well I need to change that sart for the 11 year olds- I definately don't think pulling out silly objects instead of wand will work with them ..unless I see a bunch of smaller kids .. regardles the 11 year old will see bigger and better stuff later on

Thanks for the help

MagicJac
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
"hands up who's seen me before?"
"hands up who hasn't seen me before?"
"hands up who couldn't care less if they've seen me before or not...." (apparently in the States it's COULD care less....though it makes no sense at all).

Bill Abbott's 5 Card Opener
Hot Book
etc....
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Potty - Hands up gags - really????

I'd tell them it might be a good idea to lower their expectations...
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 15:39, Potty the Pirate wrote: "hands up who couldn't care less if they've seen me before or not...." (apparently in the States it's COULD care less....though it makes no sense at all).
Not to sidetrack the OP, but the correct line, in the States, is "couldn't care less." It's just that so many butcher the original line. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
I like that line one Potty The Pirate ! but after I don't have Bill Abbott's 5 Card Opener
or Hot Book

maybe go into the:

- wilting rose?
-Silk Vanish ?
-Silk 2 Cane?
-Peanut Butter and Jelly ?

any way of doing funny objects come out instead of wands with a pattern(script) for (11 year olds)?

as far as pattern a bit more for this age range ?

Thanks again !

MagicJac
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Why not simply start with the silk in your hand, as you introduce yourself, then turn it into a wand and move into your next segment? Just a thought. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
This is what I use on my normal show:

I say I'm getting my wand - but I mess up a couple of times with silly objects till I get the

wiliting rose

silk to Wand!

silk vanish

silk from mouth

mouth coil

Change Bag - with mismade flag - need a young kids pattern here - not sure about using change bag with 11 year olds?

Flower Box -

Baloon 2 Dove

Pocorn 2 Bunny

Coat Float

I also use nested wands sometimes - but don't have a set pattern - or the band the bends as a gag effect.

any how I think I maybe over thinking it - hey but you know the saying - better safe than sorry!

Thanks Again !
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The hand's up gag I use to open my hypnosis show. Adults go for it. I have never tried it with kids as an opener, but they go for it too.

My advice on opening for this age is to open funny and open fast. A good gag, and a piece of quick magic that lets them know you are a good magician. I often ask one kid would he like to see the world's fastest card trick. I do nothing for half a second, then ask him would he like to see it again. It's a poor gag, but for some reason always gets a laugh. Then I do a fast and direct card trick.

Then I dump the cards - I hate card magic!

Get their respect, and they will love you.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I genuinely do have an intro where I tell the kids to lower their expectations and explain all the reasons they are not going to enjoy the show - it builds and builds and it's a great, self deprecating way to start. Kids of that age hate you if you come over the big 'I am'. I suppose that's why the hands up gag works - I just have an aversion to it because I hear virtually every act open with it !!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
This is the last year you can get away with the kid's stuff. Remember, they are turning 11, so these are not middle-schoolers yet. So what the 9 yrs. like, they should like too. As stated before, establish yourself as a good magician early, and you can do the goofy stuff later. You might even consider doing a card trick before your show starts to amaze them and get them on your side. Once they're on your side, they'll go along with the silly stuff.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-24 18:29, kimmo wrote:
I genuinely do have an intro where I tell the kids to lower their expectations and explain all the reasons they are not going to enjoy the show - it builds and builds and it's a great, self deprecating way to start. Kids of that age hate you if you come over the big 'I am'. I suppose that's why the hands up gag works - I just have an aversion to it because I hear virtually every act open with it !!

I agree that being self-deprecating works well for this age. In fact, most ages. As for hands-up gags - we used them all the time on cheesy cruise ship shows, which were for adults and seniors. Though I think the phrase we used for Americans was "By a show of hands...."
I would steer well clear of "proppy" effects for these kids, unless you have very unusual stuff. NO change bags, pictures of bunnies, or big colourful boxes. Or PB&J.
One trick I've used to open for this age is the "Vanishing Torch"...plays quite well, as it's instant, visual magic, and has the "shock factor" as you apparently toss a flaming torch into the midst of the audience. Also, I wouldn't use any kind of magic wand, or even substitute anything in place of one. The Appearing or Vanishing Cane is good, though....I prefer the vanishing cane to confetti. Even with these tricks though, you have the slight issue of using an unfamiliar object.
How about coming on with a can of Coke (half empty) and a glass.....pour the last of the Coke into the glass....set the can aside, and drink the Coke as you deliver your initial gags. Then pick up the can again (having s****ed it out), and explain that you get REALLY thirsty when you do magic shows. Now you're ready to restore and refill the can. (Healed and Sealed). You could also hold onto the can, and s****h it out as you reach for another prop or item after drinking the Coke.
How about some more cheesy one-liners:
"There's nothing like a great magic show, eh guys? And this is nothing like a great magic show. Seriously though, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a magician badly. And I'm certainly a bad magician."
Or open with a newspaper tear, and read some headlines, an old ploy, but it still works:
"Thieves broke into the local police station and stole the toilet. Police say they have nothing to go on." etc....
Doug
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
I don't think you have to steer clear of all props. Change bag would be ok I think, but steer clear of PB&J for sure!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 16:07, MichaelCGM wrote:
Not to sidetrack the OP, but the correct line, in the States, is "couldn't care less." It's just that so many butcher the original line. Smile

:thumbsup: That's a pet peeve of mine!
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
It's a cross between kids stuff and adults stuff. In my experience some of those 11 year olds will behave like young adults others like 6 year olds. You have to be ready to deal with both groups. Stay away from the kiddie stuff, "Anyone know a good magic word?" won’t work. If you're a manipulator this type of effect will play big, that's their idea of a true magician and I think that’s what they're looking for.

Just be prepared with some adults stuff.
Life of Magic!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Jay, I personally couldn't get away with a change bag for this age, not in my area. Unless, that is, it's used in an unconventional way. I do use a CB for my "Bill in Lemon" routine....but I use it as a bit of a red herring. The bag doesn't have much to do with the effect - although it allows me to vanish the bill....whilst at the same time, hinting to my audience that I used a dodgy prop to effect the vanish, and that somehow I have managed to get it back in my possession. This is exactly what I want them to think, but in fact the real method is totally different.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3249 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
For this situation I start by acting very serious and telling the kids that since they are older I will be doing grown up magic and not any of that silly stuff I do for the kids...

While saying that I keep clearing my throat and at the end of the sentence I begin to pull a rainbow colored mouthcoil out of my mouth.

This gets a big laugh and lets the kids know that even though I have acknowledged that they are older and am planning to do some "grown up" magic, I am still going to be very silly.

Magical Michael If you hadn't corrected that statement I would have. I cringe every time I hear "I could care less". This is on par with people who say "He over exagerated...". (which would only be a correct on that rare occasion when someone had been instructed to exaggerate but they went to far)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On 2011-10-24 17:01, MagicJac wrote:

any way of doing funny objects come out instead of wands with a pattern(script) for (11 year olds)?

as far as pattern a bit more for this age range ?

Thanks again !

MagicJac

Not to side track the thread. or to put you on the spot MagicJac. But, I find it interesting that you used the word pattern for the term patter. I have seen several posts here lately and I have seen this on other web sites. I wonder where this is suddenly coming from. It is different people on different sites subtituting pattern for patter. Is it spell check or something else?

HMM.?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I am wondering if Multiplying Bottles would be good for 11 year olds?

Yes? No?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1636 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
"hands up who couldn't care less if they've seen me before or not...." (apparently in the States it's COULD care less....though it makes no sense at all).

No, it's not. Although most people here seem to say that. It's totally incorrect, I'm not sure how it started. Drives me crazy.

Quote:
On 2011-10-30 00:19, Howie Diddot wrote:
I am wondering if Multiplying Bottles would be good for 11 year olds?

Yes? No?

That's a completely redundant question. It depends completely on the presentation. Tricks are mostly irrelevant.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
If your kids show has no kids props in it, then it is quite easy to change your patter and make your show suit any age group. I have done my kids act in a pub full of adults, when I forgot my adult act. Because I don't use props (beyond the normal sponge balls, silks, hankies, etc) there was nothing to make people feel they were watching something childish. It's a thing to think about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Intro help ..for upcoming 11 yeard old Magic Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL