The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Intro help ..for upcoming 11 yeard old Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Tony, I think your approach is fine, but also, younger kids really enjoy silly, colourful props. The mistake is to assume that those same colourful props will play well for teenagers and adults.
I tend to see the same kids over and over again. As they get older, the Wacky Wolf props are gradually removed from my shows, to be replaced by normal objects. If I were to take your approach, Tony, I think I'd find myself performing the same show too often, even if the patter and presentation were different. I'd rather take full advantage of the fascination young kids have with silly props, when I'm performing for these age groups. When they are several years older, they will see a completely different show, with cans of soda, ropes, cards, cellphones, shoes, and other "familiar" objects.
Doug
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Potty, I don't keep to the same tricks. I have about three hours of material for kids, so it is no problem adapting and changing if I see the same kids again. Sometimes I do storytelling instead, which always goes down big. I just find it more satisfying to my job without the props. It's a personal choice - but I must say that the Wolf props, while beautifully made, represent everything I think is wrong with kids magic. They distract from the personality of the performer, and impose a uniformity on the art. I know some performers rise above that, but if we are honest, most don't. There are so many guys who think if they get a rabbit, a chair suspension, and some colourful big props, they have a show. They are wrong; they won't have a show until they get a personality.

I have seen clips of you performing, and I hope you understand that what I said there does not apply to you. All the best, Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Intro help ..for upcoming 11 yeard old Magic Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL