The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Size Chart? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Does anyone know of a Web site which lists the diameters of coins of various denominations & nationalities? This would be VERY useful to magicians ... especially for those who are new to coins!
Dan McLean Jr
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
What's up Dan?? It's me, Jon.. I don't believe there's a site, but the best was would be to visit a coin shop... was there a certain coin size you were looking for???maybe I could help..

jon Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Not sure of the exact sizes, but I do know that Half Dollar sized coins are about 2.8cm-3cm in diameter. Don't quote but I thought that's what I read somewhere. Hope this helps.

-Bill
Jgriff
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
144 Posts

Profile of Jgriff
Jeremy Griffin
"Rough and Smooth Forever" - Jay Sankey
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Thanks, gentlemen! I spent last week with Dan Harlan, and was so impressed with his "Rising Dough" (ambitous coin) that I decided to make it my first coin effect. Since I'm starting from scratch, I want to know what my options are. So far, the standard half-dollar/English penny combo still seems to be my only option, but I'd LOVE to be able to convincingly use Canadian curency for one of the coins. What other combos can I use?
- I need a light/dark contrast
- three of one, one of the other
- very close in size
- expanded S for the triplet, and it should also work with the single
By the way, I've emailed my friend Roy Kueppers to see if he's making an expanded Canadian S.
http://www.roykueppers.com/Legendary/index.htm

Thanks in advance!
Dan McLean Jr
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Magic Roadie, Hi I've been doing Harlan's "Rising Dough" since it first appeared in "The Minotaur"
vol 6#2 june 1994. (I still need vols 1-4 anyone??)

I use a walking liberty S. and Sterling's realistic Chinese Coin the old ones was just brss the new ones are black and brass very pretty.

I have a differnt ending for the routine that makes it a bit stronger. If you're interested email or PM me for details

Best
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Interest aroused: can one describe Rising Dough?
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Between your extended thumb & forefinger, you show a stack of four coins: a copper on the bottom, and three silver on top. You show each coin, and re-stack them. The copper is now 2nd from bottom. Display each coin again, re-stack again. Coin is 3rd from bottom. Finally, you hold two silver and the copper, give the third silver to the spectator, and their silver changes to the copper, while you end up with all three silver. It's beautiful!
Dan McLean Jr
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Rising Dough is on one of his Premium Blend DVD's. I think it is vol.5
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Does anyone know WHICH canadian silver 1 oz coin is
the 38mm (same as morgan dollar)? I have been trying
to find definite info on this and cannot. I also need
to find another coin that is the same size and a
different color... the only ones I can find are gold,
and I don't have $400 to spend on a coin.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I believe I saw a silver dollar on display at a mall with a colored Candian Maple leaf on it (Green and yellow on silver). It appeared to be the same size as a morgan, but it was in a glass display, so one can only imagine how much it would cost.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Coins like those are going for around $50 american
dollars. There are a few different ones, and they
are all relatively the same size but I can't find
anything that says THIS COIN (and has a picture or
some other way of positively IDing it from the others
like it) is 38 mm (or close)
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
I used to keep a coin size chart for common Canadian and American coins on my website, but hid it away. I decided that it could conceivably constitute exposure, as it details which coins are/were magnetic. (Yes, I'm a purist.)

If there's any interest, I can reinstate it on my site and post the URL here.
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Please do relink that page. Folks really do like to know how big Half Crowns, Florins, Thalers, Crowns, Dollars, Centavos etc are in diameter etc.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

I've done a bit of research and have bought a pocketful of coins recently, and will be happy to contribute my data.
Dan McLean Jr
Jamie Schoolcraft
View Profile
Regular user
Palmdale, CA
136 Posts

Profile of Jamie Schoolcraft
I have a book entitled: 2004 Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-Present 31st Edition, By Chester L. Krause and Clifford Mishler.

This book has photo's and descriptions of coins produced from all over the world, and the pictures are to scale, so you can just go through the catalog and match your coins to the ones in the book.

There are several volumes to this book and they can probably be found online.

Hope this helps!
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
Here's the page I mentioned that has a chart with Canadian and American coin dimensions on it.

http://ca.geocities.com/dgcuff/currency.html
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Size Chart? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL