The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classic Plots of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
I'm starting to think of magic in terms of the effects they are, and of the way to demonstrate these effect as just props, like cards, coins, silks etc. I've decided to start thinking of them in this way because I am trying a different system for organizing and routining my effects. I am asking for peoples help in building the following list. The classic magical effects that I can think of are:

Productions / Vanishes

Transpositions (Moving something to another location... a vanish that produces somewhere else,e.g. Scotch n' Soda, Coins Across)

Transfigurations (Changing something for something else, like Card color changes, or Slow burn for example)

Penetrations (Pen thru Dollar, Needle thru arm, etc)

Levitations ( IT, Balducci, etc.)

.... I could list others, but I think I want to keep this list as BROAD categories. For instance, "Twisting" cards is a classic plot but it can be placed under the broader category of Transfiguration... changing a back to a front.

The field of Mentalism offers a few more unique categories:

Predictions

Thought Transmissions (Sending or Receiving)

Psycho Kinesis

... Are there any other broad categories that I am missing? (The test is if it cannot be placed under any above category)

What would you classify the coinbite effect? Or bendy pen? I think there is a link there but I don't know what you'd call it.
carla
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of carla
Your list reads like Harry Potter's course schedule! Smile

How about Cut, Torn, Burned, etc. & Restored? Your coin bite and maybe bendy pen too would fall into this category, along with many, many other effects that don't fit the categories you've listed above (it's not quite the same as a vanish & production).
cfleming
View Profile
New user
Chris Fleming Long Beach, Ca.
81 Posts

Profile of cfleming
adrianbent, You might want to check out a book called "The Trick Brain" By Dariel Fitzkee. It was originally written in 1944, however, I believe that it has been reprinted. It covers the classification of magic very thourghly. It may be a little 'outdated'. It reduces all magic to 19 basic effects. Today there are probably far more than that, 1944 was a long time ago. It's a facinating read! Smile
I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Also you should add in surrealism...

Like drawing a picture of an apple and then pulling at the drawing and making a real apple appear and the drawn one dissapear... "plucking" real objects from thought of or drawn counterparts.

or throwing a ball at a wall and having a picture of the ball appear
mooooomba
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of mooooomba
Is revelation (spectator picking card and magicians finding it somehow) one of the categories?
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
Hi MacGyver,

Surrealism is something new for me, haven't come across (with my limited exposure in magic) anything like it before. Would you be so kind to lead me to a site on this, perhaps to educate me more on surrealism. Thanks a lot in advance.

All the best!

Dynamite Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Thanks for everyone's input! I was hoping to generate some interest. The "Destruction - Restoration" is a great category. I can also think of the Bowling Ball effect as an example of the Surrealism sort, although one might say that these are productions.
... Yes, it is fun; Hogwart's graduate studies Smile

Perhaps there are then Contemporary categories? Like self - mutilation, surrealism, and others... Smile

Thanks for everyone's input! I was hoping to generate some interest. The "Destruction - Restoration" is a great category. I can also think of the Bowling Ball effect as an example of the Surrealism sort, although one might say that these are productions.
... Yes, it is fun; Hogwart's graduate studies Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classic Plots of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL