The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Problem with my ring on string routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
The last part of the routine is this, I thread the ribbon through the ring and place it on the palm of my hand, I close my fist around it and reach into my pocket for my wand. Pull out the wand (no hesitation) and strike the fist and show the ring has gone.....

Everyone goes....it's in your pocket! The fact it is in a sealed envelope in a closed wallet still blows everyone away but I need some misdirection, possibly time misdirection. The ring doesn't flash everyone just guesses.

Any tips?

Many thanks,

Danny
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
If they are guessing every time then maybe your final steal is not as convincing as you think it is. I have been doing a ring and string routine for years without any problems maybe try a different move for the last part of your routine. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Before this last sequence have you been repeatedly showing them that the ring comes off the string every time it is threaded on? If so it is no wonder that they say the ring is in your pocket. You showed them several times that you can remove the ring from the middle of the string and it ends up in your hand and then you did it one more time but this time you reached into your pocket.

I don't think you need misdirection. I think the routine needs re-thinking.

The only thing I can think of is to eliminate the wand and just reach into your pocket and place the wallet on the table under some pretense. Then show the ring has vanished and show it is in the wallet.

At least it doesn't allow that moment when the audience gets ahead of you.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Are you using the Clifton Ring Move. It has good timing/misdirection.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2011-10-27 00:33, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Before this last sequence have you been repeatedly showing them that the ring comes off the string every time it is threaded on? If so it is no wonder that they say the ring is in your pocket. You showed them several times that you can remove the ring from the middle of the string and it ends up in your hand and then you did it one more time but this time you reached into your pocket.

I don't think you need misdirection. I think the routine needs re-thinking.

The only thing I can think of is to eliminate the wand and just reach into your pocket and place the wallet on the table under some pretense. Then show the ring has vanished and show it is in the wallet.

At least it doesn't allow that moment when the audience gets ahead of you.

Yep that is pretty much the problem - I'll take your suggestion and give it a go.

Thanks Smile

Re the Clifton ring move I don't know it but will look it up.

Thank you Smile
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
If it is the Clifton thing, then how about this as an idea:
You thread the ring onto the ribbon and lay it on your palm. You close your fist, turn it palm-down and cross over the ribbon. You go into your pocket for your wand. So far, this is much the same as your existing routine. At this point, you note the audience's skepticism, put your wand back, make some gag and flip your hand over (uncrossing the ribbon), show them that the ring is still there, close your hand and flip it over again, cross over the ribbon and invite them to tie a knot, making it impossible for the ring to escape. Then while the tying is going on, you get your wand out and proceed as before. Or (since you only have one hand available) you could go into your pocket for the wand, hand it to a second volunteer, then go in again and get the wallet, handing it to a third volunteer, for a finale "in their hands".

In terms of the reveal gag, something about their skepticism and/or your own unimpeachable moral character is normally the way that kind of thing goes. Or, "Look, it's still there. You thought it was gone, didn't you? I'm good, but I'm not that good..." or whatever. There are many, many gags you can use when someone is tying you up, ranging from clean and amusing through risque to downright shameful. Smile

So, this is all supposed to add some doubt with the "still there" reveal, some conditioning with the repeated actions, some interaction, gags and time delay with the tying and strengthen the conditions under which the ring disappears. But this might all be hogwash; I've never done it this way so I don't know if it'll work. Smile
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I like it! thanks!
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Two things about this--one, it sounds like the first time you go for the wand is when you need to get to the pocket. If that's the case, it will seem suspicious. All the other times you've made the ring come off the string, you didn't need the wand. Why only now?

Two, Slydini used to teach that it has to be clear to the audience why you're going to your pocket before you go to your pocket, otherwise the trip to the pocket will be suspicious. Showing them the wand later is too late. They will have already suspected that you're putting something in your pocket, and will interpret the wand as an excuse.

One easy fix could be to use the wand throughout the routine, sticking it under your arm when not needed. After you've stolen the ring for this last phase, use the wand, and since you're now done with it (they have to know this) you put it away in your pocket.

Another approach would be to announce that you're going to use the wand in the last effect, perhaps suggesting that someone hold both ends, and the ring will jump onto it. Be careful not to promise them something that's better than the ending you've got planned.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Good points!

Thank you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Problem with my ring on string routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL