We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Lovik Figures In General (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
We got talking a bit about a Lovik figure in another thread and I thought it might make an interesting general thread.
And before I go any further, if the forum allowed subtitles under thread titles, I would have added;
"Please show us your Lovik figures, past and/or present"

Everyone likes to talk about the vintage figures, the Marshalls, the Macks, McElroys, etc., or the newer carved figures or figures with all the works like the Lavenders.
But I would be surprised if the figuremaker that had the most figures out there, even now after so many years of not making them any more, wouldn't be Craig Lovik.
Not that quantity is the main factor of figuremaking, but not only does he have the quantity of figures out there - but they are being used by a lot of people still. Rarely does one come up for sale when it doesn't sell fairly quickly or fail to sell on ebay, and usually they are reasonably priced, or better, compared to most new figures available now.

It's kind of like, generally speaking, even though there so many out there in use, they don't get a whole lot of consideration.
I don't know why that would be, most all of his different lines had a good look to them, they all worked well as far as any animations go. Back when I was going overboard gathering figures, I probably had a dozen of used ones pass through my hands and can only recall one of them needing a minor repair.

In the other thread, carved Lovik figures were mentioned. As I mentioned there, I bought my first pro vent figure in '80 0r '81 from the then Maher Workshop then owned and operated by Keith Lovik. (For those who don't know, the Maher Workshop was a separate entity from the Maher Studios owned and operated by Clinton Detweiler, but the figures from the Workshop were sold through the Studios, or they were until the Workshop was sold to Chuck Jackson, but that's another story.)
Here's a picture of that figure that I sadly no longer own;

This is the picture from which I picked my figure, mine was the one in the blue checked shirt, (looks a lot different with the dark hair in the picture);

I still have three Lovik figures (all molded figures), one has been around here a while, two of them I just acquired last year.

We also mentioned in the other thread, the figures with the flat neck and drop through bodies, which were made in the 70's. One of my Loviks is one of those. I actually like the flat neck and drop through body. Everyone these days is well used to the ball and socket neck, but since I always lift the head slightly when using a figure, I don't mind the flat neck.
It is also the first and only figure I've ever had with the "living mouth", which I sort of like, but I still prefer the classic slot jaw, there's much more visibility of the mouth movement with a slot jaw than a "living mouth" set-up (in my opinion).
Here is a picture of him (he is one of the two acquired last year);

The other one I acquired last year is familiar to me as I had a couple of figures from this line before (back in the gathering days). One was a "regular" one like this - even the same color hair and eyes, and one was considered a "special edition" made just for Maher Studios that had a tux. So I already knew they were decent figures and grabbed this one when I saw the opportunity to get him pretty cheap on ebay (and as it happened, it was from the same seller I bought the living mouth Lovik already pictured);

One of the features that always stood out to me on that line of figures was the hands, it was something different than the standard either flat or 'cupped' hands on most figures;

This last one is one that I have had around for a number of years. With the exception of a couple figures I've kept in a display case, all of my figures have been kept in cases to protect them from dust and curious fingers - except this one. This is one I have always left sitting out as a decoration and a figure to grab quickly for a few moments of practice or trying something, an animation or a joke, etc. I got him very cheap back when I got him used, and he was one of Lovik's lowest lines of hard figures, so I wasn't as concerned about the dust or curious fingers.

But even though he was from the lowest line, he's really quite a decent figure - I'd rather have one of these as my first figure than a conversion figure. They are also a testiment to Lovik's ingenuity. Every part is pretty well molded and fits together - probably pretty quickly.
He has a molded body, a molded shoulder piece that fits right on top of the body, even the headstick appears to be molded. The hands feel like a rigid latex filled with foam, and they didn't even need shoes because the feet are plastic shoes. There's also wood attached to the bottom of the molded body that makes this figure sit very well alone.
Here's a picture of the inside of the body and headstick;

The only thing I might criticize about these are the eyes - and I won't even criticize them strongly because they are fine really as they are, I've thought about changing them, but haven't felt a pressing need to bother.
The eyes are actually stickers on the eye balls - again, I'm sure to make a figure that could be put together quickly, and also to cut costs because like I mentioned, it was his lowest priced line. Then there's a piece of clear plastic over the eye opening which protects the eyes.
Like I said, I've thought about changing them and putting in regular eyes, but it looks fine and for what he gets used for....there's other projects more pressing.

Of course Lovik also did some latex figures. I have a few of those.
I have this one that was called a "Flexi-folk" - I really liked that one, and still have it, but don't use it as the latex has discolored and I've yet to be able to find any information about what kind of paint I can use on latex. It's a shame too, because he has held up very well otherwise, and if I could paint him, he would be very usable still;

And then I have these two - they were called "Puppets-In-A-Can", and I absolutely love these two. Fortunately, they have also held up very well, and I hope they continue to do so since they are irreplaceable. They have a cloth body attached to the inside of the can, the head is a latex shell with a plastic 'mask' (for lack of a better name for it) that goes from the upper lip to the top of the head and includes the ears. Another bit of clever thinking because he could just have the same latex head shell, and put different plastic 'masks' on the latex head shell for different characters.

Well how is that for a post to kick off this thread about Lovik figures?
Hopefully it will spark some interesting discussion and posting of pictures.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't feel like digging through old CDs to find pictures of all the Loviks I used to have.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
I too have owned many Lovik figures and the one thing that always bothered me was the pitch point of the jaw. Seems he really didn't take the time to find the right angle because the upper points of the mouth palate always seemed to show. I had a great wood carved Lumpsy Green that was fully loaded and a big time ventriloquist ( I can't mention names) bought it from mke and then returned it because of that pitch point. I did eventually sell the figure actually for more money so the pro did me a favor.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Somebody was just talking about a pivot point in another thread, but I can't remember in reference to what.
Anyway, I can't remember on all the Loviks I've had, but I don't recall having any issues with the mouths looking wrong in the way they moved or looked open or closed. Looking at the three I've got, well, I guess the living mouth one doesn't fit into this, but the other two - the mouth moves evenly along the sides, the front upper points of the sides of the jaw obviously show when their mouths are open, but they don't extend or stick out past the front of the cheeks, they remain even with the sides of the mouth - and these two figures are from his lowest lines.

I should have taken side views, but I don't want to go take more pictures, so hopefully these show it well enough;

Now if the pivot point was too low and far back and the jaw just dropped out of the face, I could see the concern, that wouldn't work for me either.

Taking a look at the one on ebay, the corners of the back of the lip stick out more than they do on my figures, but it still looks like it would travel evenly with the cheek line;

But if I had use for that figure and bought it, seeing those lip corners wouldn't bother me - I mean, they are dummies, right?

REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
965 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
I wish I could afford any of those. They are terrific.
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I had a couple of Loviks... I think one was from Craig and one from Keith. Smile
One had a weak mouth spring so we needed to repair it...then I sold it. Smile

I don't know how to post pictures so please check out the video...please pardon the language barrier. As always, tv director was rushing us so I had to rush the routine. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd0iS0H7uQY
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I've mentioned before that the Lovik I own is in transition. A magician in this same market saw me do my vent act sometime in the 70's and thought he'd like to do the same. He bought the Lovik from the Maher catalogue, used it for maybe a year, then stored it away.
We were doing a show together and he happened to mention that he had a pro vent figure and wondered if I'd buy it for a hundred bucks. I said sure I would. He brought it to the next night's rehearsal.
She was a living mouth African-American female figure. I wrote him a check and took her home and tried to find a voice for her, but couldn't.
But I thought maybe if I changed her race and sex I maybe could. So I thought about that for awhile.
But the thing she'd done to me is this: She got me interested in buying some more vent figures.
My original figure, Louie, was a converted Jerry Mahoney with a slightly larger body I'd built and a considerable reworking. He was a goof figure with a sly gleam in his eye and we'd been together for a few decades.
But I thought maybe I could get a cheeky boy type...and found a Rappold figure on ebay...and then a grumpy old man...and then a Hartz that was almost the spitting image of my good old Louie...but bigger and carved...and then...Well, you know the rest.
But then I realized what the Lovik should be. I'd done a little old lady comedy character on the radio some years earlier. This could give me a chance to use nearly a ream of comedy material. I could recycle Sylvia!
But I would have to make this saucy looking black woman into a white old lady. Oh...and make the living mouth a slot jaw. So I did. Clinton told me it wasn't likely the Lovik could convert to slot jaw because of the swing. I thought he might be right, because it was hard to visualize exactly. I figured I just had to try it and fail and if I failed too badly maybe I could talk Clinton into fixing it.
So with Magic Sculpt and a few other things, I made her a slot jaw little old lady. Looked pretty good, too.
So I bought a case from Clinton for her and even used her once.
But I didn't like the drop through neck.
So, two or three months back I took her out of her case and started converting her to ball and socket. Almost done. Have had to stop for various other projects...but...almost done.
The slot jaw worked just fine (I was interested to see how Lovik used a standard hinge inside the head to make the mouth swing.
I left all the mechanics intact. The eyes move (not self-centering) and the mouth. It seems to me that Lovik wasn't as careful as he might have been in the facial symmetry. Also: the ears were latex shells. I replaced 'em.
The body is very heavy...and molded so that she's in a constant sitting position. The head was pretty heavy all by itself, and I probably added a few ounces to it with the new chin structure (though the carriage has a hollow cardboard core in an effort to cut down weight). Once I've got her neck finished, I'll figure out how to make my camera feed pictures into my computer and I'll show her to you. I know I've been promising that for months...but I will. Honest.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-28 00:52, Servante wrote:
...but I will. Honest.

-Philip

We're going to hold you to that. Smile

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I will. Honest. Smile
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
One thing I wish I'd done: Wish I'd taken a "before" picture of her. She's changed a lot.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-10-28 09:56, Servante wrote:
I will. Honest. Smile

I guess before I put any faith in that, I should first ask: were you ever in politics?

Quote:
On 2011-10-28 09:57, Servante wrote:
One thing I wish I'd done: Wish I'd taken a "before" picture of her. She's changed a lot.

Oh, too bad you didn't, but you're not alone. I usually never think to take before and after pictures when I'm doing something like that, or when building something, taking pictures as I go along like Jim is doing with the head he is carving.
I always think of it and wish I had afterwards...... Does that count?

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
It counts...but it doesn't generate pictures. :-(
Nope. Never been in politics. I've been encouraged from time to time, but I always tell people, "It makes me feel bad when I hear that someone's said something bad about me. It would just destroy me if there were people paid to do it."

I keep MEANING to get pictures taken and put up here...but my plate's too *** full and the learning curve on the camera feeding into the 'puter is awfully steep.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

You can do it, we got faith in you.

A P.S. to my original post that started this thread, I neglected to mention that the figure I bought from the Maher Workshop back in '80 or '81 was a carved basswood figure (and he had one winker).

bigbrogeorge
View Profile
New user
chicago burb's
3 Posts

Profile of bigbrogeorge
Am always on the lookout for any of LOVIK'S latex figures, for some reason the latex style has always been my favorite, guess that's why I have so many AXTELL figures in my shows...the only non- latex based figure I use is a VERNA FINLY made in '86...or '88 ...I'm getting old the war stories are starting to sound like JOHN WAYNE movies !
Revroy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Revroy
I'm quite fond of this guy, probably because he is my first and who gave him to me.I have a figure my Pal David Mitchel gave me when I was starting out 20 some odd years ago. he has the side to side eyes, lifting eyebrows and leather winkers. I just recently did some research and found it to be one of Lovik's Knee Pals (Wille Winkle). But I can't quite find the year in which these were made. Any one know the years?
Revroy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Revroy
Forgot to attach pic

Click here to view attached image.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Apparently Lovik used that name for a number of different lines of figures.
Two of the figures I have pictures above were part of a knee pal line.
This type was made in the late 70's;

And this type was made in the mid to late 80's I believe;

Here's a picture of a Willie Winkle from Clinton's blog, you can see he more closely resembles the second figure;

Here's a Lovik flyer of the Knee Pal figures from that period;

Of course, none of that specifiaclly answers your question, but hopefully it's ball park info that will maybe jog someone else's memory that's a little better than mine.

Revroy
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Revroy
Mid 80's that's what I was thinking. David gave him to me in the early nineties so that seems right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Lovik Figures In General (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL