The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Intro - and Identity crisis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Greetings all
I have been lurking for several months, and decided it was time to finally introduce myself.
Firstly however, I'd like to thank all the folk who so generously share their hard earned wisdom. It is much appreciated and if I ever get "out there", I'll be that much better off for the lessons learned here - thank you all!!!

I am not quite ready to try street performing yet, but I am doing occasional shows with my juggling partner (festivals, schools, small town talent show etc.)
My technical juggling abilities are slowly getting to the point where I can begin to think about a street show, but I am actually thinking of mixing in some magic and escape stuff to supplement the juggling. And of course before I go for it, I need to get the presentation down (most important aspect?).
This would mostly be just a one-man show, as my juggling partner would not be available most of the time (which is a shame, she's a much better juggler than I am - and cute!).
I live very close to what appears to be a great pitch, but it is a very tightly controlled private development area with private security etc, and a permit would be absolutely required. There are currently no performers allowed, but if I had a good show - I might make a "pitch" to the management to allow a trial run.

As I plan my show, it gets better each week - at least in my head Smile. However I am coming up with lots of questions about writing lines, creating the routines and the big one - my character.
So may I use my first post on this forum to ask for some guidance?:

I simply don't know who I am (that is - who my character is). I know the importance of having a character, and I also realize I am way overdue for figuring this out. I was given some great advice by a top performer - "don't just do tricks you think are cool - do what your character would do".
Aaaarghhh - too late. Everything in my planned show is stuff I want to do. I haven't got a clue if my character would do it because I just don't know who my character is (he'd better like the same stuff I like, otherwise this is going to get awkward...).

So the question: HOW DO I FIND MY CHARACTER?
- I have tried watching performers I enjoy and understanding how their characters work, but I find that I love many different types of character. A well developed character is obviously a joy to watch - but that doesn't mean I can do it. Gazzo is a perfect example - I love his character, but I know I couldn't pull it off. I obviously understand that trying to copy a character you like is a bad idea, but I'm talking about general types of character, not the specifics of a given character.
- I have tried looking inward, but I haven't street performed yet - so there's no character in there.

So is there some technique, or process that anyone has found helpful to figure out, or discover who their character is?
All I've figured out so far is that I want to amaze and delight my audience. I want them to smile and forget their worries for a few moments. So I guess humor must be a part of it, but I also like the idea of tension, caused by the appearance of danger or risk (showmanship).
So I'm thinking along the lines of an act with humor and an undercurrent of real danger and awe.
This sounds good on paper, but I am also new to writing funny lines. I have started keeping a notebook to keep track of ideas, but again - if I knew my character - I could write for him (argh - this is making my head hurt).

So there it is. Once again, thank you to all who have helped my education so far, and any input on my identity crisis would be greatly appreciated.
I know I'll have many more questions, and hope you'll indulge me as I try to figure out if I can walk this "road less traveled".
Jason Shapiro
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jason Shapiro
Hello,
best advice I have to find your character, go out with the show you have "in your head" and do it. you will see how it goes. than look at what didn't work. try those bits again differently or drop those parts all together. then go home. write. read. and examine who you are daily as a real person. add those traits and it willl be easier... or become a character completely different!thats ok too. Fail, Do it again. repeat... experience horrible shows and laugh at yourself, examine yourself.Fail some more. go back out. fail some more, stay off the Café! and then quit all together and get a nice job selling real estate or maybe a wall-mart greeter.
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Mr Shapiro
Thing is... I already have a pretty nice full time job, and a really nice part time job. But surely there's room for even more - it's about "living wide".
I think I get the drift of your post, but that's an awful lot of falling & failing.... that can't be much fun. I wonder if I can do it with just a little bit of falling??? Smile
Jason Shapiro
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jason Shapiro
Failing isn't realy failing if you keep going. it always darkest before the dawn. fail as much as you can. a lot of people think there going to go out and come up with amazing routines that work out the door. to me it was never that way. the more time I fail the closer I am to a solution. when I get that tiny solution or character plot idea or any small nugget mined out of the filth of my idea sludge, well, I feel like a chilean miner! its a process. I think ive shared to much. there going to be looking for me now... we never spoke.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
How do you open your show and close your show?Are you a quit type person or do you enjoy talking to the people?How are you dress?To find out how to find type of character.you need to ask question.Are you a funny type person.For me I look to other magician not to copy but how they proform their magic.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Sparrowhawk, good grief! Why are you messing your head up with all of that stuff? Just go out and perform! Let what you do best come out and hopefully the audience will enjoy your performance! Character is important but performing is even more so. The late Jim Cellini was asked what it takes to become a great street magician, he answered by saying "take 3 tricks that you do really well and build an act around them!" Before becoming a magician, I wanted to be a vocalist for a band. I finally got a chance to perform but was very self-conscious about my voice. Then, someone I really respected told me this: "You'll never become any good until you get out there and not be afraid to sound bad! It only gets better!" He was right! Start off with what feels right for you! Be you 1st and let everything else flow through that. Just remember, it's all about having the audience like you and wanting to see more!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
If you have fun ,they will have fun
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Copy a magician will get you a descent paid (Personality point of view).. but won't get you to the top.

Take a camera film your self 10 to 20 times, see what you can improve.. Don't delete the video, as we want learn from the video of possible mistake, bad misdirection, back sleigh... back presentation..

I after film my video, dislike my voice very much... and I think my performance are more suited to young children...

so I think performing using hand signal and some music... Using facial expression like MR BEAN to communicated and explain...

"some guy are born not to be a natural performer... if one lucky, you get a good teacher to guide you, if you are not, ... then... GOD IS UNFAIR"
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I don't believe God or fairness has anything to do with it, but some are born to perform and some are not. Personally, after 25 years of trying, I'm in the latter group. That's why I focus my attention on other aspects of the craft and leave the performing to the performers.

Whit said copying a performer is a good way to start. The key word is *start*. Once you have perfected the basics and know why a routine works, then you can start exploring. Until then, you really don't know what or how your doing as you have no point of reference for comparison.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I'd echo Sir Richard and Jason...just go out and perform. The character will form as you gain experience and grow. You didn't become the person you are today overnight, it's taken time to shape you...it will take time to develop your character. I'd love to be the wise-cracking performer like Gazzo...but I can't do it. It doesn't fit me, and I found it out by trying it.

As others have stated...go out, have some fun, and you'll develop into the character you're suppose to be.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Don't be afraid of failing. I don't know who said it, but there was a quote which read; "Success is getting up."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Sparrowhawk,

I dug up an old post of mine that may help.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2011-11-15 13:09, ed rhodes wrote:
Don't be afraid of failing. I don't know who said it, but there was a quote which read; "Success is getting up."

Almost Ed, "Success is getting up one more time, than you've fallen down".
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Thank you so much to all those who have responded with encouragement, ideas and suggestions. I will try taking on board as much as I can.
I think as with many things, a balance is in order. My journey must include some thought and preparation, as well as some "just going out there - having fun and seeing where things go".
I believe both approaches are valid, and one does not need to exclude the other. While working on the mechanics, I keep the idea of character in the back of my mind. I have made contact with a professional magician / teacher who seems to be on the same page about the importance of presentation, and has approaching 20 years of actually doing it. I am hoping to meet with him for a few sessions to help with presenting and developing material - kind of a jump start in the right direction.

Thank you again to everyone who contributes so generously to these forums, I hope I will one day honor the support by "getting out there and doing it".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Intro - and Identity crisis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL