The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking at The Occupy Movements? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Has anyone here attempted it yet? I will post my experience from yesterdays performance, when the film is edited. I just wanted to put this out there beforehand.

I turned some very interesting comment lines from the 1 percent topics along with rights of free speech comments during the performances which included that which we do as performers. The entire crowd was very encouraging. I'm certain that we all could brainstorm some very relevant comments.

A video crew from "The Busker's Movement" was there to also film a segment along with our performance.

The police were very kind to us and allowed us to perform in an area which doesn't normally sit well with them.

I'm looking forward to sharing more of this episode. I'm also certain that I will be going back. I gained some hardcore followers as many of them have laptops and spread the word about magic at the Occupy Movement. It was a positive experience for all of us including the police dept. There were a few bits of unruliness from a few folks who weren't quite there. A few of them also had just been released from detention. Talk about a captive audience eh?

More to follow,
Peace!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Way to think outside the box! Looking forward to some vid.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I was in the middle of my show when the occupy crowd, with "99%" signs approached. complete with megaphones and drummers (I'd rather not say the name of the city) They just kept trucking and went right thru my show. Whatever. Then at my last show of the day, and literally as I began my hatline, I noticed they were coming back again. It had been a few hours since the first encounter, btw. as they came up I took my mic, turned it up high and said "stop!". I looked at em, all 100 or so, and said I had two minutes left (which I did). turned to my audience and said "you folks with me!" They all screamed "yeah!" Then one of the men at the front of it all turned to his group and said to stay and watch the finale. That was it. I finsihed my 2 minute finale and collected. When they all continued on and the crowd cleared, one of the women with them dropped 2 bucks. Which makes sense. They were the 99% right?
Jason Shapiro
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jason Shapiro
Yes sir.... I had just finished a show in the center of a large square and I saw them coming. at first I thought it was the anti rape walk. aka sl*t walk. long story. this was bigger though, ended up to be around 1400 people came and marched around to the point where they connected fully around the square..... I'm in the middle with no amp. and I had a dry erase booard. they circled ( they squared) five times and than continued down the street. I regret not writting on my board 'i am the one percent' as I stood there in the middle for a laugh.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Good stuff men! Thanks for sharing your exeriences with us.

During our run at the Occupy Movement, a slightly inebriated individual blurted out, "I know how you do that"!
I replied, "Great consider yourself in the 1%, The 99% just relax and enjoy the show"! There was a very loud "Ooooooh" and a few "He got yous!" He laughed it off and enjoyed the rest of the performance.

Jason, we had one of those "Slut Walks" here recently and several police detectives were also a part of the movement.
Very interesting indeed mate!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I wish all those bums would get a job. They don't have a unified cause. I've just always been of the opinion that I'm going to have an income, even if I have to go get a job flipping burgers, waiting tables, mowing grass or whatever.
Maybe it would do those bums some good if they got a job where they got to experience some hard work. Too many entitled people!
Devious, as a marine I would think you of all people could appreciate the value of hard work.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Mr. Friday, I didn't go to the movement to pick up a sign and take a stance,
nor did I post my opinion on the matter. In addition, all you will not find
active duty service members participating in any movements.

I went to entertain the citizens there. That's what this discussion is about.

Many of the citizens there were employed, so your generalization is without merit.

I do appreciate the value of hard work, so what's your point young man?
Not only were the citizens watching the performance, but so were the peace officers, if you
go back and read my initial post. Are you calling the peace officers bums as well?

You sure enjoy "stirring the pot" in this section and around The Magic Café' son.

Your comments not related to sidewalk busking are better suited for posting, in the "It's not magic but," forum.

You posted a topic, as to why people should "hire a magician" here,
click here

Why not go back there and learn from the responses to your post, instead of calling out Marines?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Well I just wanted to share my opinion about the movement, I agree with Dave Ramsey.

And ok, I admit it, I did want to see if I could get your goose. But I only meant it in good fun, haha.

I think Marines are great, thank you for what you do & happy veterans day!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thank you very much for your comments Mr. Tim! I wish you nothing but the very best, out there on the pitch!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
A previous discussion on the same topic, as it relates to performing at the occupy movements.
We set em up, you knock em down!
Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2118 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Indeed, most of the protesters DO have jobs & lives, which is why the protests swell to such corpulent numbers Fri-Sun, then shrink back down to 1 or 3 hundered at the most Mon-Thu. That core group of a few hundered are the 'bums with no job' or purpose other than to cause trouble & b*tch about anyone who has more than most. For this reason, the media does it's wide-angle-shots of the occupy movements during the weekends, whereas when they cover it on the weekdays, they focus in close, so you cant see the actual size of the crowd. (go ahead, check it out!) We magicians should know how to spot visual-trickery like this!

And, regarding the 99% ideology: IF the protesters are allowed to work their will, and the 1% are punished for the heinous crime of being so rich, and are stripped of their wealth (which is then distributed among people whove proven time and again that they have NO idea how to manage money), who do you think theyll go after next? That is, when the money seized from the 1% runs out? (and it WILL run out faster than you might think) Theyll go after the next 1% having the most....and just work their way on down the income line until everyone is equal in poverty.

Yes, yes...I KNOW I'm asking for it, but those are my 2 cents.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Devious's comments come from his first hand experience on the front line.
They're worth more than two cent's.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I want to know how much money you make from these guys???????????????
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 14:22, TheGiz wrote:

You sound like my ex!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 18:34, Devious wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 14:22, TheGiz wrote:

You sound like my ex!

Israel, That's what it's all about tho. Remember the first rule GTFM
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I beg to differ Mr. Paddy, with all due respect. It's not always about the money. No sir!

We are blessed to bless others! Help others to get what they want out of life
and your blessings will follow.

I live in between a golf course and the beach along the Pacific Ocean, thanks to Our Creator
and the many folks whom have allowed me into their lives for a brief moment of magic!

Don't follow the money, follow your Passion no matter where it takes you!

Here's to your continued Health, Wealth, and Happiness
Devious
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking at The Occupy Movements? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL