The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Which one to get? Cassette/CD prediction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magician of the century
View Profile
New user
Washington
57 Posts

Profile of Magician of the century
There are so many different versions of this effect. Iam thinking about buying one but not sure which one to get? money is not an issue. Is the one Copperfield uses on the market?

Impossible CD prediction by Tom Yurasits
CD Prediction by Will Tsai
The Cesaral Ultimate Magic Cassette
ECT.....
just to name a few
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1304 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I think cassettes are too much of a curiosity these days-I havent seen a cassette in person in years. So I don't think a cassette would work well in a modern setting. As everything tends to be MP3, cd's are getting a bit outdated too-but at least younger members of your audience will recognize a cd when they see one, so of the two I would go with a cd.

For the two CD versions you mention both share the ability to pause while playing, Tsai's is a lot cheaper than Yurasits, but whether Yurasits' version is worth the extra hundreds, I don't know.

Havent seen DC's version on the market (which doesn't mean it isn't) but the USB stick is really clever thinking-he doesn't even use a cd anymore!
Sent from my Typewriter
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2996 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I have a cassette prediction and love it. Wouldn't use it unless the audience was older and had past experience with cassettes. Given that circumstance, though, the cassette prediction has two advantages over the others. First, it can do real time predictions, rather than "headline" type predictions. That puts it in a whole different category than the CD predictions. Second, there's something about a cassette that just seems more impossible to gimmick than digital media. Something about the analogue, linear format that's just "old school" and physical enough to set it apart from anything digital, IMO, in terms of convincing the audience that everything is on the up and up. In fact, if there were such thing as a vinyl LP real time prediction, I'd definitely be interested. How in the world could you fake something like that?

Think of it this way - which would you find more convincing: a prediction handwritten on a scroll, or one that appears on a computer screen?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
My only concern is the LIMITATIONS of the prediction. What are the LIMITATIONS of this prediction. Can any sentence be called out by an audience member, will I be able to predict it ?! A Dream of an audience member ? details of a soccer match ? that was my problem with the CD predictions.

And MaxfieldsMagic thank you sooooo muchh you really helped me a lot and made it clear which prediction I was looking for and the one I should get (I wanted real time prediction) and I definetly agree with your point of view, your right, cheers sir Smile Smile (Y) !
chrisontour
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of chrisontour
I believe Copperfield switched from a cassette tape prediction to something more "modern" now, can anyone confirm this?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1304 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Yes...just like I posted on this very thread, he uses USB stick.
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Which one to get? Cassette/CD prediction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL