The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tetradistic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Sigh ... I hate seeming stupid but - what is a "tetradistic stack" (as discussed in some recent threads here)? My books (Joyal, Tamariz) don't seem to contain the term, and a Net search doesn't seem to come up with a definition.

Thanks for any help with this; if it's not suitable for a forum answer, feel free to PM me.

Regards,
Larry Samuels
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
The definition is simple: If you faro shuffle a tetradistic stack twice, the end result will be thirteen four-of-a-kinds.

Examples include the old Eight Kings stack, the Si Stebbins stack, and Doug Dyment's QuickerStack.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Barry,
Thanks! From reading, I got the impression that 8 Kings stack is a tetradistic stack, but since it consists of series of 12 cards, I couldn't connect the 2 ideas. -)

Regards,
Larry
jvickers
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jvickers
Ackerman has great work with tetradistic stacks. I highly recommend looking into it Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
It's a term that was coined by Allan Ackerman I believe. At one point he was a mathematics professor at UNLV which corresponds to a term that certainly has an academic slant to it.

Translation: A stack that contains 4 distinct groups. The stacks Barry mentioned above all conform to that definition.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Steven,
Thanks! I'll have to look into what a tetradistic stack can be used for.

I've been working on my faro (with Paul Gertner's "Unshuffling the Faro Shuffle") and it's fun to watch the cards group in certain patterns as you go through the cycle of 8 faros. -)

Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
The Mem deck I created is also tetradistic. There are also some unique effects that use this stack but not necessarily as a mem deck. One of them is in my second book, Kingdom of the Red, called Entropy I and II. Another is one I've been jealoulsly guarding but will likely appear in my fourth book which I am currently writing.

Larry
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Four groups whose numeric order is the same, with cycling suits.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

My Mem Deck consists of four groups which repeat but the suits appear random and do not repeat from group to group. The order I chose and position of the suits was carefully planned. However, no one would ever see a pattern to the suits, only the cyclical pattern of the numerical values. If tetradistic means cycling suits as well, then my mem deck does not meet that definition.

Larry Smile
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Properly speaking, tetradistic means only four-ness. In Ackerman's own stack the suits do cycle which allows certain niceties, but when using the arrangement only as a stack, the more random the appearance the better.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks John for the clarification.

Larry
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2011-11-02 13:50, ljsviol wrote:
Steven,
Thanks! I'll have to look into what a tetradistic stack can be used for.

I've been working on my faro (with Paul Gertner's "Unshuffling the Faro Shuffle") and it's fun to watch the cards group in certain patterns as you go through the cycle of 8 faros.

I can get into my mem stack from new deck order in 30 seconds. It's tetradistic-- it might be worthy of your consideration. Especially since it has twice the functionality of any other mem deck.

SEY
fredm
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of fredm
Anyone where Alan Ackerman has work on tatradistic stacks published.

Fred Mitchell
Fred Mitchell
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Fred - As far as I know Ackerman's tetradistic stack has no other built in properties. I think he just shuffled thirteen values together and that's what he decided to use.

Steven - I don't think I'm giving away anything you haven't already, but isn't your stack Si Stebbins? While it has a wider range of tricks -- namely, all the Si Stebbins tricks created over the years -- it also has a couple draw backs: color and number patterns. While I have come to appreciate that the appearance of randomness is over-rated when it comes to memorized stacks, that pattern is still too obvious for my liking. For instance, in order to perform the memory demonstration in "Ackerman's Opener" a Si Stebbins deck will require various gymnastics.

The truth of the matter is that there are not very many great tricks using a mem-stack, but there are some tricks that can ONLY be done using a mem-stack. I can't think of any particular to Si Stebbins.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The reason this stack is called 'Tetradistic Stack' is that the stack was used in Peter Kane's 'Tetradism' which appeared in September 12, 1964 issue of "Abracadabra".

Hideo Kato
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I doubt this. It would be equally accurate to say that both Kane's effect and Ackerman's stack were named after the Realists' 6th century notion of Tetradism as an alternative to Tritheism.

Really, this is just a word that means "consisting of four similar/equal/related portions".
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
fredm
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of fredm
He truth of the matter is that there are not very many great tricks using a mem-stack, but there are some tricks that can ONLY be done using a mem-stack. I can't think of any particular to Si Stebbins.
[/quote

Cain,
Have you read Aronson.Tamariz Books.

Fred
Fred Mitchell
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2012-01-05 11:45, fredm wrote:

Cain,
Have you read Aronson.Tamariz Books.

Yes. And I use a memorized stack.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2012-01-01 22:11, fredm wrote:
Anyone where Alan Ackerman has work on tatradistic stacks published.

Fred Mitchell

Allans products: http://allanackerman.com/
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks Kjellstrom.

Decomp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tetradistic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL