The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Any ideas for making a telephone ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
I am working on a piece for Halloween involving a "Jack" seance and was looking for ideas for making a telephone ring, without the use of a cell phone. Also considered a spirit bell but feel that a ringing telephone belonging to the host would be much more effective. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
..::damienfell::..
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
148 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
There are toy phones you can buy which have a good strong ring to them. But an electronic ring is not as interesting for the kind of routine you are describing.

If you can get an old phone with a real bell ringer, you can probably set up a battery operated trigger for the ringer. You could even set this up with a remote control. This would be very creepy. Most people have forgotten the startling sound of a real-bell telephone ring. I can only imagine what this would sound like in a quiet setting like you've described.

I would work to make the ring actually come from the phone. You can make the ring come from close by, but in an actual bell phone the phone vibrates along with the bell. This reality-clue would be missing if the phone doesn't actually ring. It would feel although people probably couldn't tell you why.

This is an interesting idea. I'll have to play with this myself.
"There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our reality."

- William Shakespeare
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Thanks, cmwalden. I hadn't thought about using an old phone. I actually have one around somewhere, just not sure if it works or not. Let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks again! Smile
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
There's a device sold for theatrical performances called a ring voltage generator that is battery powered and uses transformers and an alternator to create the appropriate power to cause a phone to ring. You just plug the little black box into any normal phone, press the button, and it rings.

The most commonly available brand name is the Tele-Q, I believe Production Advantage is a retailer for it, you can find them at http://www.proadv.com last I checked, but if that's not correct, just do a Google search for the company name.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
daminfell
View Profile
New user
VA
51 Posts

Profile of daminfell
Thanks, Andy. That sounds like a great idea but at this point in time might be a little too much. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
90 volts...20-30 cycles per second. That is the standard ringtone on modern telephones. Allow 1000 milliamps current, although the circuit should consume far less.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Any ideas for making a telephone ring? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL