The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Repeat performing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
478 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hello everyone,
I wanna know how you think about this problem.
The rule of magic is that you cannot perform the same trick for the same people.
But when we perform on the street, we are doing the same set of tricks for the audience.
On most of my performing condition, there are people enjoyed my show and they don't wanna leave even I have finished my set.
That means they will see my show 2 times, 3 times sometimes.
So maybe they will know how I load my final load in my hat.
How do you think about this situation?
Thank you very much.
YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
I would have (and do have) 3 sets that I rotate around each other for my small gigs, and plan on doing the same when I start busking shortly. That way, if there are hangers on, they will not see (many) repeats.
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Ditto on what Lord of Illusion posted.

Have a rotation of three to four routines down and try to add something new every time you hit your pitch.
Change your routine and do strolling; or if you're a stroller, try a static pitch spot.

You'll find it stretches you to adapt to the unexpected.

As far as hangers on go... did they tip the hat? If not, they need to pony up to stick around. Make some pointed comments in that direction or just tell them flat out. Either they'll pay to stay or fade away.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I use to think the same thing until I got out there and actually performed.
I'm not saying that you don't actually perform, it is just what I used to
think until I just took my set and went out there and worked it.

Quote:
we are doing the same set of tricks for the audience.

I think this is part of the issue. You should be doing a show not a set
of tricks. Yeah, sure, if you take away all the other good stuff that
makes up the show...you are just left with the tricks.

Quote:
there are people enjoyed my show and they don't wanna leave even I have finished my set.

This makes me lean more towards that your not really doing a show, but
a series of tricks. Some questions/thoughts come to mind:

• Do they even know that your doing a show?
  • Are you just some guy on the street doing a set of tricks?
  • Your show is that good...simply...if so...don't worry about it....
  • They simply hanging around to figured it out. In that case, tell them to move
    it along; your working...

Just some thoughts based on your post.

What Lord of Illusion posted is what I use for strolling or restaurants, but
on the streets I do my set.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
These multi-show watchers, do they tip each show? If not, they're just freeloaders. Stick with the same set and they'll get bored and wander off making room for those who *will* pay.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-11-06 11:54, Dave V wrote:
These multi-show watchers, do they tip each show? If not, they're just freeloaders. Stick with the same set and they'll get bored and wander off making room for those who *will* pay.

Yeah that's what I was gonna say, start putting some pressure on them to tip, and build some funny lines around it. Or tell them if they watch two times they have to tip double or something...
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Cellini would use them to build his next crowd. Then you can "squeeze" them out, backing them up and moving some paying customers into the front. That way, when they choose to leave it wont be a distraction. It's pretty easy to do as long as they understand there is no malicious intent.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I think this is funny as I had the same situation last night so I feel ya bro. Two
ole friends of mine, big fans of magic found me in NYC. I took Eric's words above
and used them to build my crowds and they happily obliged. The only issue was that
I felt a little uneasy doing my set (I think they saw it like 5 times before they left)
with them watching over and over again. I was little rusty trying to the show with
my jacket on (didn't really need it) but non the less unnerving. As I think if you
see the same show enough you eventually start getting ideas, no?

gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey YuYen, greetings. There is some good advice here,.. still I understand your feelings big time. Especially if you turn a hot Show(!), folks hang around to catch it again.
The `first time´ everything is so warm and fresh,.. our material, our characters, as well as our audience´s faces. The second time `round, well....
A lot of friends tell me, "ah, they always see something new." or, "they don´t remember WHAT they saw, as much nas HOW they felt.",..hmmm. It doesn´t help me much. Maybe it´s in my head.
Taking it a step further, I have the feeling, The Pitch has given me it´s energy. I´m thankful for it and feel bad about milking it. Again,.. maybe in my head.
My solution is: I ALWAYS try to change Pitches. Always. Sometimes it´s REALLY hard!,.. man, I mean, there simply ARE `Hot Spots´. Packing the Show and moving,... well,.. it ain´t easy. Still, in all honesty, in my time of experience,.. it´s always been the best route. Even when I´m the only Show in town,.. and Shops owners behind me like the action; we move Pitches,... drastically, after every Show.

Movement, Mobility,.. Flexablity,.. the KEYS to what we are doing.

givin´ it easy,
gallagher.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 07:56, gallagher wrote:
My solution is: I ALWAYS try to change Pitches. Always.

Movement, Mobility,.. Flexablity,.. the KEYS to what we are doing.

good stuff Gallagher, but do you change your pitch daily or during
the course of the same day?

Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Quote:
On 2011-11-09 07:55, solrak29 wrote:
...I was little rusty trying to the show with
my jacket on (didn't really need it) but non the less unnerving. As I think if you
see the same show enough you eventually start getting ideas, no?

Heya Solrak,

It depends on your goals. What are you trying to accomplish out there? For example I occasionally see locals who's goal is to hand out business cards. They're not there to make money necessarily (it's merely a nice bonus). Nor are they particularly interested in how many shows they do. Their goal is to perform as "impactful" a show as possible so they are perceived as being a good magician first and foremost. That way they get calls later for the parties that are their main source of income.

Now, on the other hand, if you're out there to make money, then a few people catching something here and there shouldn't really be a major concern.

Along these lines, Tu Mu in commenting on Sun Tzu said:

"He who is humanitarian and compassionate and fears only casualties cannot give up advantage for long term gain and is unable to let go of this in order to seize that..."

So, are you worried about someone figuring out a secret or two? Or are you out there to make a way for yourself?

Additionally, as a form of recon, regardless whether a person has seen me before or not, if they see something they shouldn't I ALWAYS bookmark that moment in my mind and later (if I didn't realize it immediately) try to figure out what the weakness was that allowed them to see whatever they saw. So, the weakness will make you stronger.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Solrak, greetings to you. This may come over as a bit `paranoid´, but,... we change Pitches after EVERY Show. Pack it up. Free the spot. Pause, recollect our energies, thoughts, emotions,... ground ourselves. (Takes an hour,..) Then, think about the next strike.
Up until this year, we changed towns, as well,.. every day. In `big´ towns, or for a weekend; we´d stay two, maybe three days. Three Shows a day,.. three different Pitches.
This year, because of diesel prices, we´re staying two days in each towns; but only working two show per day. (funny, the money remained constant; but sometimes I go to bed with an itch,.. missing that `one more Show´.)
It´s important to point out, we tend away from tourist-towns. In tourist-towns, the audiences change for themselves,... still, my experience is, the energy hangs,.. drags. Friends who play towns and Pitches, constantly; seem to lose their `freshness´,.. in my opinion. ,.. regardless of the success the Show is having.(Hat-wise, or Energy-wise).

As to Tu Mu,.. he was a Civil Servant,.. had a guarenteed income,.. a safe, warm place to sit. He looked over shoulders, from a safe distance, sipped his tea,.. and wrote cleverly. Inspiring? Yes. Practical?,... he never tasted battle. Recommendable?,.... follow your heart. I prefer the `freshness´.

givin´it easy,
gallagher.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
So, are you worried about someone figuring out a secret or two? Or are you out there
to make a way for yourself?

Perhaps this is the problem as I am both...

You see my goal is somewhat the same as the guy looking for gigs, but
the end result for me is not to get calls later but what my hat looks
like at the end of my show or day. Also, the magician part is first in
a sense as a performer/entertainer...

I want my audience to be truly entertained and astonished.

Thanks for you post as you have imparted some food for thought...

solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 08:07, gallagher wrote:
Hey Solrak, greetings to you. This may come over as a bit `paranoid´, but,... we change Pitches after EVERY Show. Pack it up. Free the spot. Pause, recollect our energies, thoughts, emotions,... ground ourselves. (Takes an hour,..) Then, think about the next strike.

It´s important to point out, we tend away from tourist-towns.

I prefer the `freshness´.

Thanks for you insight.

My town happens to be one of the biggest tourist attractions in the US attracting
over 34 Billion people a year from all over the world. If I only could get every
single one of them to tip Smile At least that is what I read in an elevator anyway.

It's interesting that you say you do your show and you pack it up and free the
pitch. I asked, because at times I have to do the same and wondering if I should
just do that. Do one show and move on... For now I'm just playing it by ear.
I stay the pitch until it dies out or done my shift or someone tells me to move on.

I'm curious or perhaps you can expand on what you mean by "freshness" and why
not the tourist towns. I tend to look for the pitches that have more tourists
than locals (not that I don't work those other spots too)....

gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hi Solrak,
By "freshness", I´m talking about my Character,.. and my Effects. I love to be `great´ in spontanious moments; but the truth is, I shy away from the risk. My Character, my Show, is tight. I find this comforting,.. I work from there.
The "Freshness", is the feeling that it´s `new´ to those around me. Ok, every Show IS different, BUT the core IS,.. well, the same.

I avoid touristic spots, because there tends to be a lot of `pushing´ in such spots. From other performers, as well as the City,... totally understandible.
In non-touristic venues, I encounter fewer restrictions,... less competetion,... I accept my cowardness.

There IS a bit of History here. As I started out, in the late `70s, most playible Pitches were controled,... by the Performers(!). Again, understandibly. The Performers on Havard Square, as nice as they ALL were,.. wouldn´t let anyone else drop a hat. ,let alone an inexperienced `weak Act´.
San Fran,.. the best Pitch in town, `the Peer´, was rented and controled by The Butterflyman. Hey, a great Show,... but,... you had to audition,.. for him. ,.. I had no chance.
A funny story, though; I went up to Market Street, sat in McDonald´s and played Chess for a dollar a game. After two days, Cellini came down the street carrying his bag. The Butterflyman didn´t let him play, either!,
..looking back, ahh, that´s oil for the motor.

You know, there´s something playing for folks, though, who aren´t expecting a Show! yeah, it´s risky,.. usually they DON´T have the time,.. Tourist usually DO,.. still, that surprise!,.. ahh, it´s great.
...,again, from the mouth of a coward; I overcome the risk by playing with a partner, my Lady. Hey, when it doesn´t work,.. well, obviously SHE ****ed-up somehow.
naa,.. but, it´s much easier. ,... we can die together. There´s something relieving is this thought. hmm.

solrak, keep rolling it out,.. and keep looking(!),.. we never know what´s around the next corner!
givin´ it easy,
gallagher.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
It's very good to see you back here guy! How's the truck holding up?
Dev/
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Repeat performing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL