The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is the best resource to start learning Mentalism effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
I have Max Maven's Videomind tapes but I would like to know if the are any others that are better. Please let me know.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Ok, last time... 13 Steps to Mentalism and Practical Mental Effects (Magic). Smile
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
But we know it won't be the last time.
Smile
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
Best resource to START is in my opinion Fulves' Self-working Mental Effects.

After that, get Corrinda if you have been having fun and have gotten some wows.

/bamba
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2195 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Actually, the best way to start learning about mentalism would be simply to read all the many topics already posted here on "the best way to start learning about mentalism".

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
108 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
I agree totally with Doug's comments. And I would add, the best way to start learning is by starting learning mentalism, not by asking how to start learning mentalism.

Martin Smile
wiggys
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of wiggys
Maybe we should start a FAQ thread and make it sticky. Might save a lot of going over the same stuff over and over.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Or start to mentor with a mentalist. Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
An ex boyfriend worked extremely well for me. Naturally I had to prove I was interested in more than just secrets. And I've learned a LOT just reading around the Café as well!

Anabelle Smile
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
Take a look in the First Year Archive of the Café. There's loads of useful information in there. Many of the threads include contributions by some of the greats of contemporary mentalism.
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
WhiteFeather
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of WhiteFeather
Okay, I am looking for something similar.

I'd like to find a book of lists of "things common to most people". You know the grey elephant in Denmark effect?

It has often been suggested that you analyze your "audience demographic", but I'm hoping for a slightly different type of "census"... most people choose the number "7", have two cats, usually draw a triangle inside of a cricle, favorite color red, something like that.

Of course, I'd MUCH rather do what Dr_Zodiac said, and take a mentor... now, if I could only find one that would take ME and isn't too far away!

Thanks
--
Clayton McGow
mrwilder@atoznet.com
http://www.magicandnovelties.com

- See our ad in Genii Magazine
- See our ad in November's The Linking Ring
jiggyjer
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of jiggyjer
The 13 steps is THE place to start, and later the jinx. not only will you learn from masters, but you will have access to many forgotten effects.

J
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There you go guy,

All that stuff with pencil dots, human hair and spittle can wait till after you've taken the steps to heart.

Also, you might want to let go of the 'magician' 'effect' mindset. that's not how mentalism works.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Fulves Self-working Mental is a great start.

JMO Smile
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Read what you find here, and try Ted Lesley's forum too.
It has been mentioned of others; 13 Steps..is a must, and Anneman's books.
This will give you a lot to work with for a long time.
Good Luck.
Sven Smile
medaca
View Profile
New user
france
37 Posts

Profile of medaca
13 Steps to Mentalism, no doubt. Smile
petrakos
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of petrakos
Thirteen Steps is Great, as is Annemann. But I learned (and still learn) a lot from Barrie Richardson's "Theater of the Mind" although it's hardly a beginning text.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
I have all of the above-mentioned books.

I've just finished Larry Becker's Stunners Plus and - I swear - I wish THIS had been my first mentalism book.

Of course, then all of the others would have paled by comparison, but so it goes.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
991 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Of course I would recommend "Pre Thoughts" by Banachek. This is a full routine from start to finish and not just a book of ideas. This was the very routine that Banachek performed as Steve Shaw in the 1980's and is still strong today. You can take anything from it and incorporate it into your own routine or use the whole routine. It's a good start for beginner or the more advanced mentalist with good theory, too.

And perhaps the best thing about it is that it's only $10.00 (plus postage).

yours,
Scott Wells
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Self-Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves. A Great Book!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is the best resource to start learning Mentalism effects? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL