The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Grail Gold Edition (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
Peter, I noticed in the two deck version that
the cards were counted face down.

Is it just for that routine or does that also
apply for the regular version when a 'high'
number is called?

Thanks.
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
No you can have them dealt face up from the fd deck It doesn't matter

Regards

Peter
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Looks great- really sweet.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 16:22, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guy's here is my two deck version of the Grail from the Grail Gold DVD. Hope you like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4X86z3jB......a_player

Regards

Peter

Nice performance.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, and THIS performance would lead an audience to suspect almost two one-way force decks... which is not the case. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Thanks guys
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 05:05, JanForster wrote:
Yes, and THIS performance would lead an audience to suspect almost two one-way force decks... which is not the case. Jan

Jan-

Most audiences don't know about OWFD's do they?

But once can do a face up spread I assume to negate any suspicions.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Exactly. That was what I missed. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Jan Walla
View Profile
Loyal user
Before you disappear I surround you with
255 Posts

Profile of Jan Walla
Hey Jan hast Du schon das letzte I'm Think thread gelesen ? LOL
Magic, in essence, is the ability of conjuring spirits who help the magician accomplish astonishing feats.
<BR>-Be glad that I am not a Sorcerer... Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, Jan Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Over 20 performances (of the original grail) I had two spectators easily spot the 'gimmicks' while examining the deck.

That's too close for comfort for me so it went back in the drawer.

Does anyone know if the new version addresses this issue? I can only think it actually increases the odds of being caught based on the new version using an ungimmicked prediction card?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
I have performed this Thousands of times and never had it he gimmick rumbled. Even by magicians.

Could be a spectator management issue?

Peter
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
No magicians are far to polite at dealers tables and although we don't shout classic force , gimmick etc we just take card and think for the grace of god go I. We wouldnt want out own effects spoilt so we don't spoil fellow magcians effects either. I havent seen Grail gimmick by the way but just know how most magicians act at convention dealers tables. IMHO
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
What and they are never fooled? Ive been behind a dealer stand for 18 years and I hope I fool magicians with our tricks or maybe I'm just fooling myself lol
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Why not use just a standard deck and have the prediction in a coin envelope on table which is a dfc with dbl pips?
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
I do have an impromptu version on the Disc.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
I do have an impromptu version on the Disc.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2011-11-12 09:49, Peter Nardi wrote:
What and they are never fooled? Ive been behind a dealer stand for 18 years and I hope I fool magicians with our tricks or maybe I'm just fooling myself lol

We are sometimes fooled Peter sure , but when we are not we politely see the trick through and shuffle on to the next stand. This isn't directed at The Grail anyway as not seen the gimmick but I don't always believe the statement magician fooler that's all.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2011-11-12 09:56, Rizzo wrote:

Why not use just a standard deck and have the prediction in a coin envelope on table which is a dfc with dbl pips?

Better to have a two way coin envelope with normal cards placed inside the envelope. Or better still, to have a Piatt Envelope with normal cards placed inside. The deck can (if need be) then be examined/ shown to be a perfectly normal one.

But is there an end to all this? IMO, the Gold Edition is a very well thought out effect and needs no change in either the setup or in the method.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
I recently bought this item to confirm that it uses the same methodology as an effect I've been doing for a few months now. It really is as practical as Peter (repeatedly) says and from the spectators' point of view, the magician never manipulates the deck in any way. The only sleight (if you can even call it that) takes places during an offbeat moment when the cards are spilled out of the case. Because all the work takes place in this "non-moment," it's invisible in both method and timing. Unlike other variations of ACAAN, Mike Rose's The Grail doesn't call for advanced memorized stacks, complicated math, or dexterous sleight-of-hand. Anyone with an elementary school education and two hands can perform this effect as smoothly as seen on the various demos Peter posted.

I like to perform this effect making use of Wayne Houchin's presentation for his original effect "Houdini's Influence" from his lecture tour. I hand the spectator a sealed envelope and introduce an aged deck of cards (Ellusionist's Vintage 1800 series in a leather case) as a replica of one of Houdini's props from his very last show at the Garrick Theater. At this point, the spectator with the envelope thinks of a number between one and 52 and the cards are casually examined. The spectator fairly deals down to that position in the deck. The prediction is actually a copy of Houdini's obituary from the New York Times with a paragraph summarizing Houdini's last performance "during which he impossibly predicted an audience member would select the ten of spades." The card at the chosen number is turned over, and the prediction accurately matches-- giving light to Houdini's last effect.

This is the way it turns out 100% of the time.

For all intents and purposes, The Grail is essentially an examinable forcing deck. This allows the prediction to stay in full view during the entire performance, making for an extremely fair performance. It's so hands-off, that people are often taken aback and feel... violated? by how powerful the trick is. They EXPECT the magician to do a switch or bottom deal or something, but that moment never happens because the entire effect takes place in the spectator's hands. Here's another full review to shed light on any other doubts.

1. The DVD is nicely packaged and the footage is clear and well produced. Alakazam obviously has a positive reputation in the industry for their professionalism and attention to detail. The DVD comes with the disc, gimmicks, extra cards, and a black envelope so that you can perform the original handling of the effect as well as Peter Nardi's variations. You do need to supply your own deck of cards.

2. The instruction is clear and concise. A few minutes of practice can produce a pretty smooth performance of the basic handling just based off Peter's instruction. Although I came up with the method independently months ago, I really wish I had Peter's insight, opinions, and tips to work with. He does offer some top notch advice and his conversations with Chris Harding further illustrate how the psychology behind the effect makes it so powerful. On top of that, Peter offers not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE different ways to present the effect. Everything from casual impromptu settings and close-up walkaround gigs to formal parlor work and straight-up stage performances are thoroughly covered. It shows how versatile the effect really is.

3. Lastly, the methodology behind the effect is extremely simple. Admittedly, there is some math and mental agility required, but as long as your can remember eight numbers, you'll be able to achieve this effect very easily. Hell, you don't even need to memorize those eight numbers if you can hide a crib sheet. Regarding how difficult that math goes during performance, I would relate it to that of the Invisible Deck, but it's even simpler than that. With just eight numbers committed to memory, you can make the force card appear at any position in the deck. It's that direct. You can then use the deck for your normal repertoire immediately following the effect. Despite it being a force deck, it's STILL a regular deck of playing cards that you can use for your entire performance. If you're curious about reset, it takes less than 30 seconds from a shuffled deck. If it's used as a standalone effect, the reset's even quicker. It is practical for table-hopping environments.

I can't really find anything negative worth complaining about with The Grail. It's a genuine worker. In fact, a part of me wishes it wasn't released... It's a great effect and well-worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Ray.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Grail Gold Edition (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL