We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Cinch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
alexon
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of alexon
Thanks! There are places on the internet which sell that sort of thing. But you have to know the size. I have no idea what size to ask for. I looked at Papercrane but did not see it there. I asked at my magic dealer but they did not have it either. The trick however is a little masterpiece-- a real classic. I am making it a regular part of my routine. I am anticipating any other tricks that Shaun might put out in the future. I am glad that I bought Cinch. I think it is excellent both for beginners and advanced magicians.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
Found it!

"Hakushi To Senyen: White Paper to 1,000 Yen"
(Created by Toshio Akanuma, arranged by Shintaro Fujiyama)
GENII Magazine, May, 1999 -- Vol 62, pgs 40-43

(Jeeze, for the life of me, I thought it was older than that...)

The article explains an interesting twist of using a borrowed piece of paper or bill for the trick.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
Hello everyone....
CONUS.. Yes It is very much based on the effect from GENII and I give him credit on the DVD. But remember this.. WE only get better by standing on the shoulders of giants!

I am glad everyone is enjoying CINCH as much as I am. I would love to hear what ideas you come up with for the changes.
I have a few different ideas of my own that I will post in a little while.

Have a great day!
Shaun Robison
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
I would go to KGMagnetics. Its an online magnet store. Just measure your magnets, and check the site to find the same size, or a size bigger if you prefer.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Well, I just received my Cinch DVD and I watched the video not 10 minutes after the mailman left. Here are my thoughts:

After Opening the DVD Box - First Impression:

I already had my ideas about how the effect was done. So when I opened the DVD box I expect a little more than what I saw. I wasn't disappointed though, just a bit more curious. After I placed the DVD in the drive I glanced at the back of the box and noticed the running time of the DVD - 19 minutes. Based on that I thought to myself, "well, it must be relatively easy to assemble and perform ... I hope"

The gimmick was well packaged within the DVD box.

Rating: 4 out of 5

After Watching the DVD - Performance Videos:

The performance videos were the same as what I had seen online. Sometimes I wish that more of the performances included on DVD were "in the field" performances. Doing so suggests that the effect has been "battle tested" in the "real world.

Rating: 4 out of 5

After Watching the DVD - Explanation Videos:

After thirty seconds into the explanation I was able to put two and two together and figure out method. A few very well known effects came to mind at that point (one in particular). Fortunately Shaun gives credit to those who inspired him to create this effect. Most magicians may remember performing a similar effect when they were young and many still perform it now. But I couldn't help but return to the words on the back of the box, "We include everything you need to perform ...". Well NOT EVERYTHING. In other words, many customers may need to visit their local office supply or arts and craft store in order to obtain the final pieces. I don't think it would have taken that much more effort or time for someone to put one complete gimmick together (minus an actual bill) and include it with the DVD. In doing so, the only thing the customer would need to provide is their own real bill (use any bill just to practice) and start practicing right away. Fortunately I have all the necessary supplies at home. Just a note, you may also need a ruler or paper cutter (not mentioned on the DVD).

If you wish to assemble multiple gimmicks (which I suggest you do if you plan to perform this effect regularly) you may need to to do a little hunting in order to find the right size.

The "sleight" (if you wanna call it that) is very easy to perform.

The setup IS very easy. It may take you about 15 minutes to assemble from start (assuming ALL the materials are in front of you) to finish.

The effect is VERY angle sensitive (if presented as described on the DVD). In my opinion here are the different venues in which this effect may or may not work: Stage - No (bill may not be clearly seen from the back row), Parlour - Yes, Restaurant Close-up - Good (be careful if you are surrounded by other tables or if people walk behind you), Street - Poor (can not be done surrounded and must be VERY aware of your angles on all side but front. however, a slight change in presentation could eliminate all bad angles - PM me you you wanna know how)

I found Shaun's teaching very easy to listen to and follow. He repeated the essential moves many times and a couple of time he performed the move as slowly as possible.

The video quality and lighting was well done.

Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5

Overall Impression:

I am pleased with the effect overall and I will be including it into my Parlour and (some) Close-up sets.

Q. Knowing what I know now, do I feel that I got my money's worth?
A. For $25 (from Penguin Magic) I feel that at least one completed gimmick (minus the real bill) should have been included.

Q. Would I suggest this effect to others?
A. Yes. If you do other bill effects I feel this could only enhance your set.

I hope this helps. If you have any comments please feel free to PM me.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Quote:
On 2011-12-01 11:56, Ryan Bliss wrote:
I would go to KGMagnetics. Its an online magnet store. Just measure your magnets, and check the site to find the same size, or a size bigger if you prefer.

They look like the D401 (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D401) or D401-N52 (http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D401-N52). I plan on buying 50 of the D402-N52 and I am willing to share with others.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
716 Posts

Profile of egoli
I just purchased a bunch of D501-N52 and D51-N52 from them and they are both perfect.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D501-N52

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D51-N52
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
A tip to those who are constructing the effect for the first time: Use a crisp bill for the resulting bill. I tried it using a not so new bill. I almost lost one of the tiny ****** in the process.
alexon
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of alexon
That's for sure! The same thing happened to me. I will add that the blank piece of paper has to be replaced as well periodically once it loses its crispness. This does not detract from the trick at all since these are very easy updates to make.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Very good point alexon. I made four gimmicks from one sheet of paper - just in case. I learned a few more things while practicing with Cinch:

1) A part of the gimmick will show after many uses. I have simply changed my handling of the blank paper slightly.

2) I use a modified version of the GREED gimmick for my change. So the previous issue is less of an issue then.

3) If you use the blank paper method then follow the dimensions that he mentions on the DVD - in fact you may want to go a little over that.

I hope that helps. PM me if you need me to be clearer AND you have already bought the DVD (I don't want to give away the method of course). I still love this effect!
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
I hope that those of you who are getting the "device" are still buying the dvd......
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Cinch is GREAT. But I have the little problem that sometimes after the change one of those four m..... falls off. Maybe because I haven´t practiced enough. Has anybody overcome the same problem and can give me advice?

Daniel
theoriginalman
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of theoriginalman
Daniel I too was having a problem with them falling off,try moving them closer to the edge of the paper. I was also having a problem with the paper after the change, used a small piece of double stick tape and it helped.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Thank you very much I will try that.
gary31525
View Profile
Regular user
Building a fence with
158 Posts

Profile of gary31525
I just received 'Cinch' by Shaun Robison and it's a thing of beauty. VERY easy to make, absolutely the best bill change I have seen yet. I am still a HUGE 'Extreme Burn' fan, BUT 'Cinch', in my opinion, has all the bill changes beat! I held out on buying this for a while because I have many other bill changes, but I finally broke down and bought it and I'm very, very happy with the product.

Shaun, I know you frequent these forums, thank you for sharing this with this amateur magician. I absolutely love it!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1782 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I would like to add my two cents on Cinch. I had "Santa" (who looks curiously like my wife) get me cinch for Christmas. Between yesterday and today I've had a chance to construct the gimmick and play with it. I think Cinch is the best solution to a single bill switch I've found.

It's strongest point is that the appearance/transformation of the bill is simple, quick and powerful. The reason I learned the original Koslowski method and then never performed it is that the transformation of the bill was completely underwhelming. Yes, that one dollar changed to a hundred but the slow reveal to me always seemed to lack that "magic moment". Plus having to fold up the bill so small to change it just didn't do it for me. The Juan Pablo/Chevrie type switch is a better solution. Definitely an improvement to the original. In my personal opinion though, the appearance in Cinch is the best version out there. It happens in a instant, is dramatic, eye catching and magical.

You are left as clean as you can be using any of the current methods. This fact is of less importance with this kind of transformation as the heat will immediately fall on the bill because of the flash production. Plus because of the inherent gimmick, ditching becomes far easier with a bit of planning. Or you could just take out your wallet to put your money away (hint hint).

I also like that the whole package is easily transportable and that the subtle unfolding technique shown is very effective in presenting the illusion that the entire blank paper has been shown. With a little thought, you could even turn the blank sheet end over end very casually if desired, though I think that may be over-proving or running when no one chases.

If one has played with any of the bill switches out there, the folding and unfolding techniques will come easily as they make perfect sense once the simple workings of the effect are apparent.

The video production is excellent. My only gripe is that the initial gimmick construction would have been a bit easier done over the shoulder. Oh and the gimmick construction is fairly easy, straight forward and shouldn't pose any trouble once the proper materials are present.

Overall this is very nice step in the evolution of the bill switch. I really like this method. It looks very magical. It's total eye candy. It ends clean and is fairly simple to reset (20 to 30 seconds). It folds up into a nice little package which carries easily, takes up very little pocket space and is ready to go at a moments notice. Very little not to like here.

I think we have a winner! This is one that I WILL use. Highest recommendation.

IMHO, your mileage may vary.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6074 Posts

Profile of motown
Nice review. Thanks!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
I love watching Shaun do it for people. Even though I do the trick, I never get bored watching it done.
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
Thanks Kaliix, Thanks Ryan..
I am glad you all enjoy using it..
Papercrane magic and I will be coming out with a few more goodies very soon

Have a great 2012
Shaun R.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Our frind Kaliix have total reason: I received Cinch and is like he told us.

Many thanks for your review.

Flaconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Cinch (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL