The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Winter is coming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Any good busking destinations for winter? There's nothing here in Salt Lake City after October.
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
Yeah, just go indoors to the bars... Oh wait, Salt Lake City... Good luck Smile head south. And wherever you end up, don't tell them I sent you
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
If I may, could I add some questions to this thread - hopefully not hijacking it - I think the questions are kind of relevant:
How do you go about "busking" in a bar type environment?

More specifically,:
How do you approach the manager/owner in order to get a positive response? (use the "work for tips - won't cost you a cent" approach?)
How do you change your show (if at all) when in this type of environment? Would the ideal show be similar to a restaurant gig or general close up magic?
I'm guessing most bars would not have the space for anything other than close up magic - so I guess jugglers are out of luck, as well as anyone who has a show which benefits from significant movement.
I would think that you would have to play something like a small sidewalk show to smaller groups as working a crowded bar would not allow for even a small half-circle.

Thanks for any ideas - my plan was to work on a show during winter, that way I'll have fewer excuses come summer Smile
But it's always good to get ideas for next winter, in case I'm still living where it gets cold.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
We got a nice break over here with yesterday hitting ~68 but last week
I was preparing for the winter parts. Cats in the table hopping section
don't like this but I was getting my closeup sets ready to go. Last
year I walked up to couple of places (restaurants/bars) and just went
at it. In some cases, I asked the hostess and/or manager there.
Other cases it just happens. Just being there, talking to some one
and doing magic. Next thing you get on a role and start strolling
the whole place...hatting them some where in between your set.

I mentioned this before, but there used to be a guy who did this
on the other side of the world. His thoughts of busking was going
to restaurants/bars in Japan and Aus, busking via table hopping.

I think in another thready Jimmy talked a little about this. It
was brought up as someone mentioned that on the Cellini DVD
Jim Cellini did his set in the place so him and his wife could
get by that night.

So this would be interesting to know what you guys do as I tend to do
this when it gets below 40.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-11-08 21:09, Sparrowhwk wrote:
If I may, could I add some questions to this thread - hopefully not hijacking it - I think the questions are kind of relevant:
How do you go about "busking" in a bar type environment?

More specifically,:
How do you approach the manager/owner in order to get a positive response? (use the "work for tips - won't cost you a cent" approach?)
How do you change your show (if at all) when in this type of environment? Would the ideal show be similar to a restaurant gig or general close up magic?
I'm guessing most bars would not have the space for anything other than close up magic - so I guess jugglers are out of luck, as well as anyone who has a show which benefits from significant movement.
I would think that you would have to play something like a small sidewalk show to smaller groups as working a crowded bar would not allow for even a small half-circle.

Thanks for any ideas - my plan was to work on a show during winter, that way I'll have fewer excuses come summer Smile
But it's always good to get ideas for next winter, in case I'm still living where it gets cold.

Sparrowhwk, I believe this thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=5&39 addresses most of your first questions. He even gives you a script.

Also I would recommend the DVD 'Live at the Jailhouse'. I have not seen it nor do I own it, but from the reviews I understand that it is the best and most comprehensive DVD on restaurant magic. It is a DVD made by Kozmo, and he only does the best DVD's. I am saving my money & hope to purchase it soon...
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
The greatest asset a Busker can develope is Mobility. On a small scale, within a city. On a large scale,..... follow the sun.
We´re hoping the `Arab spring´ has turned to winter, and are going to hop the pond. Marocco,... Algeria. The ferry´s expensive, but the fuel,.. and `the living´ is cheap. The smiles are also big and warm.

Crossing into France, one week ahead of winter,.. running slow,.... giving it easy,
gallagher.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Gallagher, years ago, I was going to cross over to Morocco from Portugal when I heard first hand stories of how they're waiting to rob you when you get off the ferry. Literally every one that came back told the same sad story of being robbed. I simply had too much to lose - guitar, videocam, tripod, money, gear, etc. - so I skipped it. I couldn't afford to lose my bread and butter. Be careful...

scaress, just the usual warm places - southern california and florida
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I love Morocco, for sure you got to have your wits about you, wise to travel light
If you want to go I would not let stories put you off.
For sure if you look like a million dollars and a easy target then you have been warned.

Its not a place to go and busk as such well not for fat hats, but a great place to sit out the winter and live cheap and people watch on whole different level.
It reminds me of of the middle East in many ways.
I found that the horror stories of Morocco get worse the closer you get.
For the most part it is just street hustlers that hang on your coat tails for the first day or tow in ports.
They can be relentless showing their true face when they finally realize they aint going to get cash out of you.

If you arrive as a foot passenger hear is a tip, know the hotel you going to stay at. don't tell any one on the ground and they will ask where are you staying.
Grab a taxi don't let one grab you, agree on a price of the faire with your taxi driver and skip the port.
Once you leave your hotel if you have a tail that says high to you it is just a cling-on from the port, yep that's right they can follow you back to your hotel.
For the most part offering their services as a tour guide and I cant comment on where that ends up, lol.

Now if that has not put you off, then you probably going to have a great time.

Marrakesh is my favorite city out their, with a street life that just takes you back in time.
Some crazy street performers out their, a bizarre experience to watch on a good day snake charmers as well.
With out doubt their lies one of the oldest pitches in the world older, than Convent Garden is my guess
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Zoobini, it´s nice hearing from you,... I love your Website! Mario, it´s nice to know you´re still out there,... thank god NOT in the town I´m presently in(!), still,.. nice crowds to you mate.

hey, the north/west coast of Africa has changed thru the years. Positively. It´s no longer so dangerous. Most of the europeans you meet there nowadays, are no longer there for the drugs.,.. but they´re still a right socialable group! It´s cleaner, then before. And pretty tolerant, religiously.
The `money situation´ is pretty much the same. That being said, it was always "OK".
The sun shines. The food is delicious,.. and cheap. Fruit,.. fresh. Coffee, pretty good. I´d sware I ate the best croisant of my life in a little gas station along the coast.(I have to with-hold details, in fears that it would be franchised!)
Believe it or not, rumour has it, that even the local ladies are beginning to take notice,.. smile at, the `pale-boys´. ,so....
I´ll keep in touch,.. and try posting some fotos.
,first, we have to beat the winter over the moutains. It´s got us pinned down right now on the German/French boarder. A real sticky, cold, fog. blaaaa. Patience. The sun will come. Patience. The sun will come. Patience....

drinking too much coffee,.. and eating too many jelly doughnuts (berliners),.. life´s a !@#$%.
Still,.. havin´fun,.. and givin´ it easy,
gallagher.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I'll be glad when the weather turns nice again. I'm getting cabin fever, especially when I spend too much time in this Café with too many magicians! Smile Smile
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 07:35, gallagher wrote:
The greatest asset a Busker can develope is Mobility. On a small scale, within a city. On a large scale,..... follow the sun.
We´re hoping the `Arab spring´ has turned to winter, and are going to hop the pond. Marocco,... Algeria. The ferry´s expensive, but the fuel,.. and `the living´ is cheap. The smiles are also big and warm.

Crossing into France, one week ahead of winter,.. running slow,.... giving it easy,
gallagher.

Well Gallagher I guess you must be glad to get out of Germany. All I've ever heard about the Germans are how they are notorious for being way too frugal, must not be very good tippers. In a sense I can appreciate that because I value frugality, but since I have begun street performing I have a new and healthy appreciation for rewarding a performer or server for a valuable well done job.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Tim, good luck with your cabin fever! I saw a really funny W.C. Field´s film once. He was stuck in a cabin, in the Yukon Territory. There was a running gag in the film; he would say, "Ah, the beauty and freshness of Nature!". Then he would open the cabin door, and get a face full of snow. ,...it was very funny.

Actually, Germans,.. Germany,.. gets a bad rap. I still remember hearing the old joke, "What´s the smallest book in the world?",.... `10,000 years of Germany humour.´

My take is, the Germans, and their humour, is really rooted in their language. As I´ve gotten to know them better, their language; I´m offen shocked,.. set back in my step, at the depth, the thought,.. the level of their witz. Even today. German humour,... wow. Again, so much is lost in the language,... and,.. well, in the intellect.
Most Shows I see, that `flop´ over here,... well,... it wasn´t the German´s fault. The Germans have seen a lot. Are very educated.,.. and not overly pitifull. They turn their backs easily on bad Acts. Frugal?,.. hmm.
I live here,.. and perform here,.. by choice.

Another thought, I don´t mean this egotistically,.. it could come across arrogant,.. it´s not meant so. Still, it´s MY moto,... motivation,... `One Commandment of the Streets´.
....a good Show can play in any gutter.

tchüß Tim, brrrr, keep warm. Use the time for something usefull,.. like dominoes.

,they´re talking `bout some sun this week,.... let it come,.. so I can go.

gallagher.

p.s.: german girls, german cafés, the music, the buildings, the food,... it´s safe here!,.. Physically and Socially(!),.. I feel lucky they `tolerate´ me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Winter is coming (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL