The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » New ebook - Notice! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
After my debut release of "Secret Files" and the subsequent praise, I feel inspired to write another ebook for the community. This ebook will be a study of unusual mentalism methods and techniques. As the first ebook, it will include a small number of high quality routines. I will not go into too much detail here, as I don't want to fully give away the premises, but will provide short descriptions of the effects.

ON THE EDGE
As a mentalist, you cause the spectator to twitch nervously and without control. This routine comes in different phases and truly has a tremedous effect on the audience members. This is one of my finest creations!

DREAM HALLUCINATION
This routine is very near and dear to me. You cause the spectator to experience his/her dream in real time and extreme detail. There is a strong opening and set-up to this effect, followed by an amazing kicker. Very strong and prop-less, just like the first routine!!!

BONUS: This will be something special for the buyers of this work and will include a number of strong subtleties to existing routines, as well as a few strong and non-conventional ideas.

This ebook will be available within the next few months. If interested, and to get on an exlusive list, please PM me. I will be sending out some review copies to select few people and this is your only chance to get the copy.

Best,

VZ
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1760 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Sounds very promising and right up my alley, Im in man, can you link us up to your other ebook?

-Jake
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
You can find the "Reivew: Secret Files" topic in "Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads" section.

Kind regards,

VZ
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
I wish you luck with this ,Im on a spending halt pre christmas however .
Mark
E.O.I
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
How can one apply for a review copy? Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Nicolino,

PM me for more info.

Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Otooemezzo - I've still not seen any comment on the fact that your last ebook was 50% made up on an unoriginal method? While you claim that your day for any date is the 'easiest'... people should be aware that it isn't original to you. Unless of course you have cleared everything with the originator of the method?

I also have no idea what the actual effect / reason for your second effect. I can make myself experience one of my dreams in extreme detail too. I just think of one of my dreams.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Davit,

Thank you for your comment. Regarding your concerns...

"Secret Files" does contain the easiest method I've ever come across in terms of "Day for Any Date" effects. I've clarified some things with Hans (the member on the Café who made the post regarding "Day for Any Date"), who is the author of an encyclopedia of "Day for Any Date" effects and it turns out that my method is just slightly different from the one he was referring to. Will it yield the same result? Yes, but that's the case with all good methods for "Day for Any Date". The main advantage (and a big advantage I believe) is the fact that you can calculate the day very quickly using my method. Aside from this, I should mention that I've sent review copies to a number of well respected members who all said the work is original. AND, the original work (the one that is similar to the method in "Secret Files") is NOT available in English. Not that it even matters, as the method is not exactly the same.

Regarding the new ebook, I don't want to give too much away. All will be revealed in time. Patience is a virtue.

Sandstar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Sandstar
What a gift this will be to the mentalism community. I have been searching for years for a way to make people naturally twitch nervously and without control. Up until now I have had to rely on an electric cattle prod. I went to this out of desperation because a taser I had been using often made my volunteers lose control of their excretory systems while they flopped on the floor next to me. This often brought jeers from the audience instead of the standing ovation that I deserved. So in came my own invention, a miniature cattle prod. But I hate being tied to electronic devices. Doing things naturally is so much better.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Hans suggests differently in this post:

Quote:
In 2010 Chamberlain Fong [1] published his version. This version is identical with Vlad's version. You will get identical results.
The only difference is that Fong suggests to memorize instead of calculation by his formulae the ten d+++++ codes. Vlad suggests simple formulaes.

Surely the Fong version is faster since a greater part of the process requires memorisation? Just seems a little wrong to me to be selling something so similar. Especially since the Fong solution is available online free of charge.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1453 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 10:46, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Otooemezzo - I've still not seen any comment on the fact that your last ebook was 50% made up on an unoriginal method?

Reminds me of Isaac Newton's comment about standing on the shoulders of giants. I wonder how many books/effects can really claim to be any more than 50% original? Just about all progress in magic is based on (often minor) improvements to prior methods. Sometimes just 2% of originality can transform a mediocre effect into something astounding.

Yes, good scholarship demands that prior sources should be given due credit. Sometimes, when an idea has been arrived at independently (as I understand was the case with Ottomezzo's Day for Date method) crediting of sources and seeking of permissions may need to be done retrospectively. I don't see a problem with that as long as the new approach isn't a total rehash of something previously published, and has something new to contribute.

Mike
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 12:16, Michael Daniels wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 10:46, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Otooemezzo - I've still not seen any comment on the fact that your last ebook was 50% made up on an unoriginal method?

Reminds me of Isaac Newton's comment about standing on the shoulders of giants. I wonder how many books/effects can really claim to be any more than 50% original? Just about all progress in magic is based on (often minor) improvements to prior methods. Sometimes just 2% of originality can transform a mediocre effect into something astounding.

Yes, good scholarship demands that prior sources should be given due credit. Sometimes, when an idea has been arrived at independently (as I understand was the case with Ottomezzo's Day for Date method) crediting of sources and seeking of permissions may need to be done retrospectively. I don't see a problem with that as long as the new approach isn't a total rehash of something previously published, and has something new to contribute.

Mike

Could not have said it better. Thank you.

Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Fair enough. Just so I'm clear as to the prevailing ethics around here.

My personal view is that your 'contribution' to the Fong method is negligible and from what I understand is pretty much a "total rehash" of something already published. This happens quite legitimately on a regular basis in the mentalism community. Usually upstart authors are chastised for reinventing the wheel and when it is discovered that a method/effect is already published it is either not published or withdrawn from sale. Sometimes I even think the community is too harsh in the way they allow established authors to exercise their ownership over methods for decades - in some cases preventing the publishing of genuine improvements. In this case I'm amazed that everyone is silent about it.

You must have made the right friends... that's all I can say.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Davit,

I've already explained my situation numerous times to you, so this is my final post about "Day for Any Date Improved". Here are the 3 key points:

1. The Fong work is in German! I've never been to Germany, let alone speak the language. So, the work in question is not easily available for me.

2. I heard from a reliable source that the description in that German work is rather dry and tedious. Whereas in "Secret Files", the method is presented very clearly and this is the first time the method is widely available to the mentalism community.

3. This is perhaps the most important point: The method of calculation is NOT the same!!! There are certainly similarities, but after speaking to someone (who is German) I came to the conclusion that my method is slgihtly easier.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
You've explained your situation a grand total on one times to me. If that was your final point then so be it, but I will take your points in turn. Perhaps I have really got the wrong end of the stick and you (or someone else) will advise differently. Otherwise people can draw their own conclusions.

Quote:
1. The Fong work is in German! I've never been to Germany, let alone speak the language. So, the work in question is not easily available for me.

Irrelevant AND untrue. The encyclopaedia is published in German but the Chamberlain Fong method is published in English and is available here:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1010/1010.0765.pdf

Even if it was only available in German (and if I have linked the wrong document then perhaps that is the case), this would not in itself be excuse for you to continue selling your rehash of it.

Quote:
2. I heard from a reliable source that the description in that German work is rather dry and tedious. Whereas in "Secret Files", the method is presented very clearly and this is the first time the method is widely available to the mentalism community.

Well any mentalist that had taken the time to look at the relevant wikipedia page for any-day-any-date would have been presented with the method. Method seems clear enough to me and since when did poor writing act as a justification for a rehash?

Quote:
3. This is perhaps the most important point: The method of calculation is NOT the same!!! There are certainly similarities, but after speaking to someone (who is German) I came to the conclusion that my method is slgihtly easier.

Well since I don't have Secret Files I can't comment with a high degree of confidence, but I am prepared to take the author of the any-day-any-date encyclopaedia at his word when he says they are identical save for the lesser memorisation (and therefore longer process) employed in your rehash. If this is the case, then for all intents and purposes there is no difference between the methods. Your formulas vs fongs memorisations only mean that your method is slower. His memorisations are presumably based off the formulas in any case. Sounds pretty identical to me.
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
I'm hoping that these two will be more original then the last release which were heavily based on existing effects or ideas. Two ideas pop into my head for your description of your latest book and I'm hoping that your methods will be significantly different then these established ideas.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Davit,

You are misguided beyond words my friend. The article you posted is NOT the "Secret Files" method. I have talked to the writer of the encylopedia and we both have big respect for each other. He plans to include my method in his German encylopedia. What does that tell you? Would he do that if my method was the exact same thing as Fong method? Regarding memorization, I even recommed that in "Secret Files" as well. But, that comes with practice and it's good to have an easy forumla to rely on.

Finally, I'm tired of you saying it's a re-hash. That's very disrespectful to me and my ebook. You don't know the method, make outrageous claims, tell me the ebook is "bad writing" (these are your words) when you HAVEN'T EVEN READ IT. That is all.

DekEl,

Just PMed you.

Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Well he might show you "big respect" in personal communication - but his public postings indicate he thinks that your rehash isn't original at all and that he is only including a reference to your work for curiosity value. Funny he says one thing in private and another in public. Hold on a minute - you also include memorisation in your version? So with that recommendation they are identical!!! That was the only difference between them! Too funny.

Actually I didn't say your ebook was "bad writing". I you re-read what I wrote, you'll see that I was making the point that just because you claim that the original is "rather dry and tedious" - that is not an excuse for you to write a rehash.

I think you should team up with Amira or the Mindshocks crew.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Davit,

You have no respect for others. Publicly insulting Amira and Mindschocks is just as low as implying that my work is identical to Fong's. Both of these statements show your true character. I'm now convinced that you are on the Café simply to make trouble. There is not much sense arguing with you as you ignore my points, lie, and make up things.

Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Why do you think I am insulting them? They might be able to get you on the straight and narrow Smile

I'm not ignoring anything that you say - in fact I wish you would say more!

Let's be clear - other than the fact that your method uses formulas and the Fong method instructs memorisation based off the formulas - is there any difference at all? My understanding is that there is not - and this is in line with the public pronouncements of the author of the any-day-any-date encyclopaedia.

I'm not lying, not ignoring your points and not making things up. This is my true, honest understanding of the situation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » New ebook - Notice! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL