We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tips on a good way of filming a street magic show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
I've tried a few times, and I'm either ruining the act (with the permission of the busker), or getting terrible angles. Unlike music (which is good as long as the audio is good) or circus (which looks great on a wide-angle), I can't seem to think up a way of filming street magic without ruining the show. At least, I'm not satisfied with what we've done so far. Here are two examples:

http://vimeo.com/28215039
http://vimeo.com/26265347

Our next magic vid will be Billie Kidd at Edinburgh doing a sidewalk show. It was a close circle, roughly 80 people stacked in a small-ish space, and a good show, but I felt our footage of the magic was good, but not of the crowd. So I'm thinking, perhaps the best way of doing a magic show film would be to do it with a camera (or two) getting the footage from the magician's POV. Then you'd get the trick, probably not the slight of hand, and great crowd reaction (which is, after all, the gravy).

Has anyone got links to a magician POV video? Or a good magic street show vid? Something we could aspire to?! Thanks!
Nick Broad
<BR>Skype: omnigut
<BR>facebook.com/thebuskingproject
<BR>www.thebuskingproject.com
<BR>Email: nick@thebuskingproject.com
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I actually enjoyed both videos; my only suggestion would be to stay fairly static (in place) moving as little as possible.

Unfortunately the "gonzo" or POV approach to filming has become far more prevalent, but it tends to distract and in some cases can actually produce motion sickness in your audience.

Great stuff!
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Thanks Ekuth. Tried the static one and it seemed to take the magic out of the magic. It's probably just where we had the cameras set up. Cheers for the advice!
Nick Broad
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I visited your site and it is a very well done interesting site.

What do you plan to do with all the videos and footage you now have? Continue to add to the website?

Will there a feature film that will hit film festivals?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd like to see better continuity in the first video. Some of the things didn't seem to have a point. The second video had much better continuity - all of the effects made sense. I think the camera work is quite good - saw the audience reactions and the performance.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I always use my tripod to set my camcorder on to film my shows. If taking pictures, I will give my camera to a layperson before my act starts.
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Quote:
On 2011-11-16 00:03, Tim Friday wrote:
I visited your site and it is a very well done interesting site.
What do you plan to do with all the videos and footage you now have? Continue to add to the website?
Will there a feature film that will hit film festivals?

Cheers Tim. We're going to continue adding everything we've got to the website. We're now several months behind with that, thanks mainly to being in such a rush all the time. We're filming in Santiago, Chile, at the moment, and will finish the trip in about three weeks.

We don't have a production company, but have enough footage on several different topics (poverty, conflict, daily grind, motivations, old age, permits etc) to do several episodes for TV. Our dream, though, is to do a feature-length documentary and enter it to the film circuit. Unfortunately, we've got ZERO funding. Totally running out of money. We think it's such a beautiful idea, and it seems to be getting further and further away!
Nick Broad
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Thanks Alan, I'm with you on both of those points — Dan's video certainly wasn't a piece of art. The camera work on both needed a bit of work, but at least the smoking magicians looked mysterious on the final edit.

BTW, I just thought about this, but does anyone know who they are? They just materialised, then disappeared into the crowd. That was in Bangkok. If anyone knows someone who might know someone who knows magicians in Thailand, please get them to watch the video. I would absolutely love to get in touch with these magicians to tell them we've made a promo video for them.

Thanks,

Nick
Nick Broad
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Thanks Dynamike! Nice name, by the way. Have you seen the comedian/street performer with the same name as you? We filmed the guy at the Ed Fringe, a really nice person with a funny act. Maybe you should do a duet Smile
Nick Broad
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I seen him on Youtube.

My clown name Dynamo. I noticed there is a magician across seas with the same name.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I've always thought there should be a busking documentary with performance footage and interviews with the buskers. Good luck.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Thanks Ed. We did too. Then we found out that there were some out there that focused on either particular buskers (like Thoth in NYC) or particular pitches. There just didn't seem to be one that did the medium justice. On a local level, they were very good, but too local. TWe thought that a movie filmed on 5 continents could be considered the world's first movie about busking. Crazy that it hasn't been done already!
Nick Broad
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
We don't have a production company, but have enough footage on several different topics (poverty, conflict, daily grind, motivations, old age, permits etc) to do several episodes for TV. Our dream, though, is to do a feature-length documentary and enter it to the film circuit. Unfortunately, we've got ZERO funding. Totally running out of money. We think it's such a beautiful idea, and it seems to be getting further and further away!

http://www.kickstarter.com/

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Haha — joe, we've been creating a kickstarter campaign for about a week, and it should go live either today or tomorrow. Thanks for the tip though!
Nick Broad
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
A pro jib would cover it easily. See if you can rent one.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I have one bit of constructive criticism. In the running dialogue, the girl sounds like
she is reading a book report. It's obvoius that you filmed them, she doesn't need to keep
repeating the words,
"We filmed so and so, doing so and so, and then they went to so and so..."

It's overly descriptive. We can see what is happening on the screen.
It's obvious that you filmed them and also what they are doing.

The part when she details about the bobbys(police) hassling them
was informative and necessary, but the rest was evident.

I hope this hasn't come out rude, but an analogy would be for us as magicians,
when we talk too much during performance.

It's only my opinion of course, your mileage may vary.
I think it's wonderful what you and your cohorts are doing mate!
Cheers,
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Cheers Zoobini,
Totally. They're bloody expensive though, and as we're on the road we'd have to buy instead of rent. The buggers out there in "legitimate business" land wouldn't sponsor us one either. We almost spent time in the USA building a rig ourselves, but realised the cost/time thing wasn't worth it — spending 6 days in each venue means taking a day or two off is perhaps too expensive. When the world comes to its senses, and gives us tens of thousands of dollars for round two (Africa, the Middle East and Australasia), we'll definitely rent a rig Smile

Thanks Devious,
Yeah, we struggled with the dialog on that video a lot — it was a choice between funny and serious, issue-based and concept based. In the end, this is what we came up with for a fundraiser. No excuses about talking too much, as I think you're probably right. It does come across a little Children in Needy, not the fun celebration it might otherwise have been. Anyway, we'll create several more once we've finished the filming stage.
Nick Broad
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
All I can tell you from doing a lot of commercials and training videos is the more camera angles the better. And that usually means more cameras. Two or three will get you a lot more than you need, and put the burden on the video editor to thread it together into the best representation of what you want to show has happened.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Tips on a good way of filming a street magic show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL