The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Last Night's Show... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
I have to tell you about last night's show. I was hired to perform family entertainment for some kind of family event. When I arrived to the location, I find out it is a facility for families that have just recently had a child pass away. The director of the facility did not know I was going to be there as my show was a "gift" from a volunteer to the event. The director was not happy that I was there as she stated that this was a "somber" event and that she did not think it was a good idea for me to entertain them.

I thought about this for a moment and then stated why not give them a few moments to not think about their situation and give them some time to take their minds off of a traumatic situation. I suggested having me set-up in a different room and announce that I was there to entertain and those that wanted to see me could just simply join me in another room.

It started out slow but by the end, I had everyone there enjoying themselves giving them a break from something I could not even imagine. Several of the children hugged me after the show and many parents thanked me for providing a nice diversion from their grief. The director also hugged and thanked me for being sensitive to the situation and teaching her that even in a time of grief, it is great therapy to laugh and smile.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very nice, way to go Jamie. This reminds me of how it was after 9/11. Grief and dismay was everywhere and many comedy performers and venues weren't sure what was appropriate or when it was appropriate to entertain, present comedy or entertainment. I think it was realized that each of did this in our own time, but that it was okay to try to lighten the tone and burden we were dealing with. A few big names tool the lead and it helped others.

It shows the role of entertainment, being entertained and even laughter in our lives even in some of the hardest times. It can help one cope and as you said get a bit of relief from quite heavy times.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Wow, perfectly handled. Well done!
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
I think what made it a success was making it optional in a separate location from the entire group.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
443 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Nicely done. We can all learn something from this experience. I think you handled it just right.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Ha jamie
very nice call on you part of thinking.
and it seamed to have worked out well.
I have found that magic works in a lot of situations.
we would not think it would.
its all in how you handle it.
todd
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Well done on bringing a bit of joy into a very sad situation.
tgs
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of tgs
Good job. It's an awesome feeling when we can bring that kind of joy and relief to those who need it.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Thanks all. My reason to post was so that if you ever get in a situation like this, you know what has worked.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Nice of you to help them find the joy again.
Life of Magic!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
That was an amzing situation to be handed, glad to see you handled it , my head would be spinning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Last Night's Show... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL