The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Who are your (non magician/kids act entertainer) influences? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bill Cosby, Richard Prior, Flip Wilson, Jerry Seinfeld, Funny Frankie Olivier, Michael Davis, the Butterfly Man, and Frank Starsini
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I'll second that about Monty Python - not funny now, not funny back then.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Python genuinely crack me up. Funny thing, humour.
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I love Python as well, but found the banana man painful to watch!! Stewart Lee has been a huge influence on me - I love jokes that go too far and are repetitious to the point of being annoying.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Stewart Lee is something special.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 22:53, jackturk wrote:
Steve Martin most definitely.

BTW, his book, "Born Standing Up" is a must read for any
performer.

-J

I've read his book three times and listened to it read by Steve Martin himself several times.

What is amazing is that he seems just like all of us performing, except of course the huge success. But I could see so much of fellow performers and it was sort of like talking shop or reading good posts here as I read and re-read his book.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I've been trying to think up an honest answer to this thread. I was originally going to list all the entertainers I love but I was trying to think if any of them have actually influenced my act.

I was going to say Harry Hill (check out his stand up, best joke writer out there) but I think I just already had a similar out there kind of style so I don't think he actually influenced me. Same with Steve Martin, Tony Law, Andy Kaufman, Pythons, goons, Vic and Bob etc

I would say the acts that I actually looked and learned from and influenced my act would mostly be old school vaudeville types and silent film stars Chaplin, Keaton, Marx Brothers, Stooges etc

I do also remember learning something from watching Phil Kay do stand up about controlling energy in a room which I use in my kids show too.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I first saw The Banana Man on Captain Kangaroo, as a kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJqLKM3d......lateding audiences

I enjoy watching Bill Hicks, but to do similar stuff doesn't work for the audiences I often perform for - they continue to "drink the Kool-Aid". Either the audience gets angry or they just don't get it. Maybe, it's time to try some new adult markets.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Benny Hill, Rowan Atkinson, Victor Borge
"Don't run with those..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Who are your (non magician/kids act entertainer) influences? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL