The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What would it take . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Many years ago a philosophy professor gave our class a fascinating assignment. First, he instructed us to take a few minutes and decide who our favorite celebrity was. By “celebrity” it could be anyone famous—a writer, a politician, an athlete, an actor, a musician, a nuclear physicist, anybody. And they didn’t have to be alive. It could be an historical figure. It could be George Washington, Albert Einstein, or Emma Goldman.

Then he asked us to take a few minutes to seriously consider what our favorite celebrity would have to do—what egregious crime they’d have to commit, what disgusting character flaw they’d have to expose—in order for us not to “like” him or her anymore. According to the professor, the object of the exercise was to explore the boundaries of tolerance.

Anyone want to play?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I don't think I could pick a favorite celebrity. There are a lot I like a lot, and none that I'm really fanatical about. As for part B, though, a Michael Vick type of situation would qualify, for sure, regardless of who it was. Obviously, many other things as well; that's just the first that comes to mind thinking about the topic.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'd be curious to know for people whether the calculation is absolute or relative.
That is, if you're an absolutist you might say, I draw the line at murder, no matter who it is.
Whereas a relativist might say, well even though, for example, Henry Kissinger masterminded the bombing of millions of innocent civilians in Laos and Cambodia, he opened the door to foreign trade with China and thus improved the lives of millions.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Nobody is without skeletons in their closet. I've never 'worshipped' a celebrity enough to pretend their bad deeds aren't bad, but is the entertainment they provide bigger in my mind than the deed?
I couldn't really stand to watch the entertainment of a rapist or child molester. No amount of talent could push those crimes out of my head.
But celebrities who have gone on crazy benders or fathered *** children with their maids? Hell, I'd watch another "Terminator" or "Lethal Weapon."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I will say without question that my favorite celebrity is, and has been since I was a small boy, Bart Starr. Of course, my early admiration stemmed from the typical sports hero aspect, but as time has advanced I learned more and more of the magnitude of his character, which is as high as one could imagine.

Regarding part B, I cannot respond to such a ridiculous notion.

There is however, a LONG list of celebrities who I have zero respect for.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
816 Posts

Profile of acesover
Difficult question for sure. Brings to mind Michael Jackson. Do I dislike him for what he has done or is accused to have done in the past? Well that is not the issue. I throughly enjoyed being entertained by him and still enjoy much of his music. But as with him and others I cannot say that I genuinely like or dislike them for what they have done or failed to do. I like what they have given me in the form of entertainment. I feel M. Jackson had issues and I am not sure I could look beyond them and like or dislike him. As they say, "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin". Now OJ is a different matter. I can say I definitely dislike him.

After having read your questionI guess I did not really answer it because I have not reallyput any celebrity on a pedstal.

However with friends I would be turned aganist them if they broke a confidence. lied to me for personal gain. So I guess it would be the breach of loyalty and honesty that would make me dislike someone more than anything else. The things that make a friendship a friendship, once broken, are all but imposssible to forgive and forget.

But all in all a very thought provoking question indeed.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Lobo, pick Catherine Zeta Jones.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19821 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Michael Vick is interesting case to me.

I train dogs. (Did it LONG time ago to support when magic wasn't great, plus it is an easy business to be portable if you have too.) Love dogs and that sort of thing (Dog fighting.) really rubs me the wrong way.

I was VERY skeptical of his "return" but am one of those who feels once a debt to society is paid, start again.

My wife is an Eagles fan. (First place she live in this country after she came to her senses and moved from Spain.) I found myself not wanting to like him. I had no real opinion of him either way but again debt paid and all so he is good to go. But it seems as if he has turned it arround. I don't follow or stalk him about it but his game is fantastic and it does seem as if he is different.

As for your original question, this is why I don't really have heros in my mind. I don't build people up as anything other than people. I keep expectations realistic of them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Well.. The minimum amount for me to not like a celebrity would be them being a Scientologist.

But of course murder, rape, or molestation would do it too.
It would have to be against someone I do like though.

Murder a friend, family, or a good person, and I will do the same to them.
Murder Charles Manson... not so much.

Randi
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
My thoughts about people are a little more nuanced than liking them or not. (I hope I'm not unique about this.) It's not like everything I know about someone goes into a ledger, and if the total is above a threshold I like them, and if it's below a threshold I don't.

For example, I might really admire the physicist Philipp Lenard. He was a brilliant physicist who won the Nobel prize in 1905. His work might be a model of clarity, his writing clear, and his ideas about physics really great. Turns out, he was also a Nazi. Not so admirable. I can still admire him as a physicist and despise him as a human.

I think the same is true about most anyone. If I admire someone, it's usually for a specific reason. They're great or inspirational for reason X. If they did something Y that was disgusting, it just makes my opinion of them complicated. It doesn't mean I don't still admire X. (Of course, if I come to find out that X wasn't really true, that naturally changes things.)
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
The person who has always been that elusive celebrity for me since my teen years is Mick Jagger.

He can do pretty much anything in my eyes and still have my admiration except get religion or join the army. Then he would be a lost cause to me.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
What if he covered a McCartney song?
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Nope! In order to stoop that low he would have needed to consume so many narcotics that he would be right back up there again Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Trying to kill me.

I would stop liking anyone for that, I think. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Which celebrity do you think might want to kill you? Any idea why?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 08:54, jugglestruck wrote:
Which celebrity do you think might want to kill you? Any idea why?

I wasn't!

What do you KNOW?

Smile

WHO'S TRYING TO KILL ME? Smile

Smile

Wait a minute...

Smile

I'm kidding...

I love Derren Brown's work, but if he ever tried to kill me...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I put my question badly...... I meant, if you had to imagine a celebrity who wanted to kill you which one might it be, and why?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 09:19, jugglestruck wrote:
I put my question badly...... I meant, if you had to imagine a celebrity who wanted to kill you which one might it be, and why?

Michael Douglas...no reason.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Stevie Wonder - he must have heard by now how much I dislike his music......
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There's a closely related question at play here, which is not that you'd give someone a passs, but you wouldn't believe it. For instance, not many people would admire OJ if they knew he committed murder, or Michael Jackson if they knew the child molestation allegations were true, but those who greatly admired them were far less likely to believe that the allegations were true.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What would it take . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL