The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Floating Rose question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Feel free to PM.

I was thinking about doing a version of the floating paper rose to real rose.

I was going to be using a reel, However what my question is, when lighting the paper rose on fire, don't you burn your gimmick? I don't know much about the gimmick. Do you replace the "insides" after every show?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I tell you what, get the Kevin James Floating Rose DVD and gimmick, it will reveal all. This thread is an open forum and cannot discuss details. Take it to the Banquet area at the bottom of the Café topics. The secret area is not on the general listings on the web.

http://www.kjmagic.com/catalog/books_dvds.html

No it is not advisable to use a reel.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
You will burn the gimmick each time you do this, no matter which way you choose. You can do the Kevin James version with an ITR - you just have to find the end of the thread and pull it out of the opening after each performance, re-wax the new end and you are good to go. A pain in the rear, yes, but doable.

For the original Floating Rose by Kevin James, it has the advantage of being able to set up multiple performances at once and store them on a card, as it is normally done with a single, pre-determined length of IT.

I hope this information is useful to you.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
If you're going to burn it, don't use a reel. I use a reel but pluck the rose off and elimante the fire part. If you're going to light it, use the KJ version.

Jim
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Since this a fairly recent topic I have a question in regards to the floating rose. I wear a head set mic and glasses would either of these interfere with the performance? Obviously it would look a little weird to take the head set off to perform it. I ask as every performer I have seen do it does not wear a head set.

Could move to lapel mic if necessary.

Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-12-05 17:21, Ryan Price wrote:
Since this a fairly recent topic I have a question in regards to the floating rose. I wear a head set mic and glasses would either of these interfere with the performance? Obviously it would look a little weird to take the head set off to perform it. I ask as every performer I have seen do it does not wear a head set.

Could move to lapel mic if necessary.

Thanks.

You should have no problem wearing a head mic and glasses. They will not get in the way at all.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks,

I forgot that Kevin wears glasses but wasn't sure if the headset would limit what can be done.
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Get the Video, its a great routine, you shouldn't have any problems with the head set, you just have to play with your angles and blocking, you'll have a great piece in your show.

The DVD has a lot of great tips. It's worth investing in.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-12-05 17:35, Ryan Price wrote:
Thanks,

I forgot that Kevin wears glasses but wasn't sure if the headset would limit what can be done.

As a matter of fact, I have performed this once with a headset (normally I perform silently to music) and used the headset to a certain advantage. All it took was a slight change in the original handling of the set up and it worked perfectly.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I have had kevin james floating rose video for 8 yrs, but never performed it, who performs it without lighting the flash paper, ???
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2011-11-11 16:01, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I tell you what, get the Kevin James Floating Rose DVD and gimmick, it will reveal all.

Best advice here! The few times I performed it, I did it exactly as instructed! The fire covers the switch, if ya know wudda mean...Smile

Doug
Shannon zhuo
View Profile
New user
China
21 Posts

Profile of Shannon zhuo
How about use a flash rose change in to a real rose...
http://www.redcornermagic.com/showproduct_eng-id-89.html
Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well
http://www.redcornermagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shannon Zhuo, welcome to the Café! Of course you could use something like you referenced, as a lot of tissue paper comes in vari color as well.

I mentioned this to Kevin at one of his lectures and he did not have any comment of using color paper.

There is something to be said for keeping it plain and simple. I guess it would then be a personal choice for each performer.
Shannon zhuo
View Profile
New user
China
21 Posts

Profile of Shannon zhuo
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 23:30, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Shannon Zhuo, welcome to the Caf�! Of course you could use something like you referenced, as a lot of tissue paper comes in vari color as well.

I mentioned this to Kevin at one of his lectures and he did not have any comment of using color paper.

There is something to be said for keeping it plain and simple. I guess it would then be a personal choice for each performer.

£º£© Yes, It depends on each performer,we are all just giving advice,hehe
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 22:49, Shannon zhuo wrote:

Now that is brilliant! Yes, great idea! Welcome to The Magic Café, Shannon! Smile

Doug
Shannon zhuo
View Profile
New user
China
21 Posts

Profile of Shannon zhuo
Quote:
On 2012-07-17 09:16, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-16 22:49, Shannon zhuo wrote:

Now that is brilliant! Yes, great idea! Welcome to The Magic Caf�, Shannon! Smile

Doug

Haha,I'am just amateur!:)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I personally do not use colored tissue paper (or colored f***h paper, for that matter). I really like the huge contrast between the white paper rose and the real red rose...it really brings out the change.

Quote:
On 2012-07-16 23:30, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Shannon Zhuo, welcome to the Café! Of course you could use something like you referenced, as a lot of tissue paper comes in vari color as well.

Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
In fact, the story line and routine I created for my use is that of a jilted lover who finally realizes that life will go on. I start out sitting at a small table, made to look like an intimate restaurant table. There is a single red rose in a bud vase in the middle of the table. Using only music and silent movements, I tell the story of my date not showing. I mourn by tearing the petals off of the flower. I then realize that life will go on. I take a "napkin" off the table and fold a paper rose. I float it in a romantic, dancing motion. As a finale, I light the paper rose and turn it into a real rose.

I just feel that this brings the effect full circle. I then toss the rose to someone in the audience.

Just call this the "Mike Maturen Floating Rose Routine" LOL.

[quote]On 2012-09-27 21:55, Mike Maturen wrote:
I personally do not use colored tissue paper (or colored f***h paper, for that matter). I really like the huge contrast between the white paper rose and the real red rose...it really brings out the change.

[quote]
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
malamoney
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of malamoney
Have there been any alternate handlings to this effect since the original Kevin James video came out?

I remember seeing David Copperfield do this effect right in front of me and thinking "WOW!!!". I went to the magic store the next week, described it and was handed the Floating Rose VHS.

That was almost 20 years ago. I actually had braces at the time and had a heck of a hard time with the th***d anchoring in my mouth.

Anyway, fast forward nearly 20 years and it's time to start working on the routine.

By the way, I agree that the contrast of going from white paper to a real red rose is a very strong visual effect that would likely be diminished using colored paper.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When Kevin James lectured here, he stated that the DVD version has some added material at the end of the original video. I did not take his comments that it was really new, as more just some information that he had learned since making the tape version. It did not prompt me to purchase the DVD.

Here is what Kevin says on his web site:
"This DVD includes the previous released information plus an hour of new ideas that have been developed over the last 15 years by Kevin and his friends."

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Floating Rose question. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL