The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When will my hands stop shaking?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
So I have added this small bit routine at the beginning of my show - its a 3-4 minute bit -

everything always goes well - besides at the end of the routine - when I produce hands from the top hat-most of the times they shake and some cards fall from my "back palm" or instead of one two come off. I've been doing the back palm since I was around 19 - I'm 33 now - but never on shows- started doing shows about 7 years ago ..and this routine I just added so I have done it in shows about 10 times - at home it's perfect - but during the shows - my hands still shake during the back palm...

Can anyone give any pointers as I don't want to take it out of the routine .. or how do I ever get to the point of doing it perfect in front of the audience.

MagicJac
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
First off, I congratulate you on having the guts to even add
something new that's truly challenging to your act! I for one am
far too inclined to leave in the same old stuff (SOS) because I
know it works, rather than push myself to integrate something
truly new.

My take only ... if you've really put in the time to be perfect at
home and can nail it every time, then keep it in the act and just
keep doing it. It sounds like a nerves thing and the only way to
I can manage to conquer any nerves thing is to push through it.

What's the worst thing that can happen? You screw up the
effect and drop a few cards. Will that destroy your act?
Will it totally demolish the relationship you have with
your audience? Will it make them walk out on you and say
you were a total failure?

Nahhh. Especially if the rest of your act is solid,
fun, and a wonderful experience that brings them joy.

So have fun with it, love doing it, and keep doing it
over and over and over until it's totally second nature.
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
JackTurk you nailed it ! honestly there is no way to put this better -

You are the Man!

MagicJac
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Jack's advice is great.

Two other things you may wish to consider.

It might be easier to put the routine later in the show when you are more relaxed. It's often a good rule of thumb not to put the tricky stuff at the start. Having said that I start with multiplying balls but I started when I was a teenager and was too young to know enough to be nervous (the blessed ignorance of youth!). I think if I had added it when I was a bit older I'd have put it later in my show.

Secondly, Irish comedian Dylan Moran (He's excellent youtube him) had bad nerves at the start of his career (even by the time he was getting some tv work). The microphone would shake in his hand. To hide this he exageratted the shake and made it part of his shtick. This may work for you rather than trying to keep your hand still try constantly moving it and make it look like the shake is part of the trick.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I agree with George that you cuold play up the nerves, if that will work for you. Another thing to consider is your physiological state. Do you drink coffee? Do you have a good wholesome meal before performing? Do you excercise regularly? If your body is healthy, then you are far less likely to suffer from nerves. Coffee and other stimulants can have an adverse effect, and contribute to shaking, so avoid these things before a show. Normally, if you're comfortable with a sleight or other manipulation, nerves alone will rarely make you physically shake.
If you have the opportunity to go for a run, or otherwise increase your heartbeat and blood flow a couple of hours before a show, this will also help your nerves. (Not immediately before, it can have the opposite effect if your body hasn't returned to normal.)
If you still can't manage to control the shaking, perform a much-simplified version of your effect. Perhaps back-palm just one card, and produce it. It's still impressive. Once you can do that without any problem, go to two cards, four cards, etc.
Doug
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Excellent Advise All!! Thanks a Million!

MagicJac!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Practice will help.

...then too, you may never get completely over it. Until you do, just hide it the best you can. Practice hiding it.

You would be surprised at how nervous some of the great speakers are when up in front of an audience.
They have mastered hiding it.

Tom
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am asthmatic and the inhaler causes a slight shake in the hands. Any issues like this?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-11-13 18:01, TonyB2009 wrote:
I am asthmatic and the inhaler causes a slight shake in the hands. Any issues like this?

If so, there are alternatives. I have asthma, although I haven't had symptoms in quite some time, since I developed my own protocols for it. I no longer use inhalers, or any prescription medications. Diet can have a huge effect - avoid foods that trigger an insulin release, such as overcooked pasta. You can identify an insulin release by the sluggish, sleepy feeling after a meal. Avoiding certain foods helps me to keep my nerves calmer than they would otherwise be. If anyone wants the list of protocols, let me know.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Experience is what helped me. You have to practice and perform until your confidence level rises high enough, then the shaking should stop. I used to have a difficult routine that caused some shaking in my hands. It was my closer, so my nerves were settled. Still, my hands tended to shake. It bothered me, but when I would ask my close critics about it, they would say it was not noticeable. Still, I thought everyone was seeing it. It took a long time, but I finally became confident enough that the shaking stopped. Keep it it!!!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
As Alan has said, diet can be a major contibuting factor. I would be interested to hear if you're a coffee drinker, how much alcohol, your fitness regime, and your general health? Until you divulge this (admittedly very personal information, try to be honest), I can't help you any more.
These are more often than not, the contributing factors, which mean that your nerves confound your performance.
Always willing to share, but you must be prepared to bare your soul.......
Doug Smile
MagicJac
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of MagicJac
Lol Potty don’t want to bare my soul!! jajaj but no coffee - a bit overweight I’m 230 and should be at 200- yes part of my plan is to be fully fit - I know this would help in all - especially the sweating thing - although I have mastered a device for that - A fan on top of one of my stands - I can pause at any time and get some fresh air - it has worked pretty good so far - as audience kind of laughs at it.
But this are all great advises – I LOVE THE MAGIC CAFÉ – ALL MAGICIANS ARE GOOD GUYS!

MagicJac ....Da Reaaaal MagicJac!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2011-11-14 09:09, Alan Munro wrote:
If anyone wants the list of protocols, let me know.

Alan, it would be great if you could share that. I have cut down on the inhalers (I tend to use coffee instead). On days of shows I use no medication at all. I avoid fried foods and dairy foods before performances, and I don't share space with people wearing perfume. Beyond that, any hints would be welcome.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Asthma and hayfever protocols:

Daily:

1500 mg a day of Ester-C - works great for hayfever, but it helps with the asthma, too.

If you need to blow your nose, but it doesn't come out easily, I recommend flushing the sinuses. I use homemade saline solution, most of the time, but water can be used. The saline is made with two cups of water, a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of baking soda - the saline will burn a little at first, but you'll get used to it. I also use a neti pot for the job. "Ayr" makes a great nasal saline mist, if you need something that's easy to carry. But, the neti pot works much better. I recommend this because picking can really irritate the sinuses, allowing allergens to further irritate the sinuses. This will also help to eliminate much of the sneezing.

Some Hershey's Milk Chocolate - the plain milk chocolate - nuggets, kisses or a candy bar. Helps especially at the first signs of slightly labored breathing.

Avoid enriched wheat flour whenever possible - stick to whole grains. Overcooked pasta is especially dangerous. I avoid most Chinese buffets, as well as Arby's, because of the insulin release it triggers. Organic foods, especially vegetables, may help tremendously - much higher nutritional values than chemically grown veggies.

When you feel the first signs of a cold coming on (for me that's a slight sore throat):

6000 mg of Ester-C, all at once. Continue with the daily dose, in addition to this.

500mg, preferably a standardized extract, of Goldenseal Root, three times a day for a week. I often do this when my asthma kicks up, too. But, don't take it for more than a week because it will make you lose your appetite, if taken for extended periods at this dose. The Goldenseal root will help to prevent bronchitis from developing, which helps prevent asthma flare-ups.

It was born out of necessity, because the prescription meds were making me sicker - my conditions are finally reversing themselves. It may take a few weeks to notice results, although I noticed it in a few days. Asthma symptoms should improve the longer you head-off colds that can lead to bronchitis.

I find that drinking a pint to a quart of orange juice helps me to catch my breath, when I have trouble breathing. I have this problem mostly on ozone action days. You should see some improvement in 10 minutes after drinking the juice.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks for the info, Alan. Useful stuff.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You're welcome. It's not intended to replace medical care, but in my case it has done what the pharmaceutical companies, with all of their researchers, refused to do - effectively treat asthma. A friend used to take her son to the emergency room on a regular basis for his asthma attacks. I suggested that she give him some orange juice and it saved a trip to the emergency room - he was back to breathing normally.

I'm particularly concerned over steroid inhalers, which promote bronchial infections, thus causing inflammation that leads to asthma attacks. Suffice it to say that I think the FDA is an enemy of the people, protecting corporations and sickening the populous.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-11-13 08:33, MagicJac wrote:
So I have added this small bit routine at the beginning of my show - its a 3-4 minute bit -
- when I produce hands from the top hat-most of the times they shake and some cards fall from my "back palm" or instead of one two come off. at home it's perfect - but during the shows - my hands still shake during the back palm...

Can anyone give any pointers as I don't want to take it out of the routine .. or how do I ever get to the point of doing it perfect in front of the audience.

MagicJac

THE ANSWER IS…. VALIUM
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-11-24 15:13, Howie Diddot wrote:

THE ANSWER IS…. VALIUM

I remember one of the guys in the local magic club saying that he has a couple of drinks before he goes on. The other members had to tell him that that's unprofessional. "Liquid courage" isn't the way to go.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'm wondering the same thing for me...I've recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's, however...it's only in my right arm and it showed up ONLY after shoulder surgery in my right shoulder. Parkinson's meds don't help, either. Any neuro docs here? I've seen 4 so far and could use help.

S
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Focus on your breathing. take deep breaths. that should reduce it or eliminate it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When will my hands stop shaking?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL