The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonicosis -- Favorite Licks (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
In the interests of energizing this board (and procrastinating), I'd like to discuss "jazz magic." Spectator or committee names a card and then you find it. What are some of your favorite licks?

I remember at the one convention I ever attended a man (40s) said his favorite move for a named card went like this:

Suppose spekky names the three of diamonds.
"Three of diamonds, that's EASY. That's so easy I can find it with one hand behind my back."

He does a one-hand Charlier cut: NOT the three of diamonds. He turns around to look at the deck, and he has the selection palmed.

Not exactly my style, but I'm sure it gets great reactions.

One thing about collecting these methods is that, even if you don't practice them, they lurk in the back of your brain and can come to the fore in time of need. During Oritz's stint as an honored guest of the month someone asked if he ever messed up a trick. I think that was question. Darwin said one time, tired and jet-lagged, he bungled a version of triumph, mistakenly squaring face up cards into face down cards. It's amazing how we can B.S. in these moments. He quickly recalled Ackerman's Triumph handlin and timed a spectator unmixing the cards, which gave him a second chance to do it right.

One of my favorite licks is doing the stop trick.

Spectator names the three of diamonds (30th), I'll have her cut "about half," hoping she cuts right into it. Any short cut is good for the stop trick: I begin dealing cards in a face up column, offering, "say stop whenever you want" (obviously second-dealing when I get to her card). When she says "stop" I fairly deal the top card face down and continue dealing face up cards onto the column, "could've stopped me here (34), here (35), here (36), here (37)," slowing, as if maybe I'm expecting to turn over that 3D any moment. "But no, you stopped me here. What was the card?"

"Three of diamonds."

In the middle of the column/spread there's one face down card, hasn't been tampered: the selection.

The way I've seen this trick handled, (and the way I learned it) is to deal to the selection, stopping when the spectator says stop. The magician asks, "Once again, what was your card?" And then he shows it. That's fine, but it's not as interesting in my view. Imagine a movie where a strange man gives a lift to a girl in need. She tells him to drop her off at exit 92. Does he stop at exit 92? Hell no, he silently drives past. Doesn't say anything about it, just keeps going. Obviously, this card trick doesn't (and shouldn't) have that kind of creepy awkwardness (which would be bad), but it's interesting because it's not so direct; a slight detour. As you keep going past, "could've been this one, could've been this one" etc., hold up a card for your eyes only, "could've stopped me here," flick it a few times for tension, then release: "but you didn't. You stopped me here."

Anyway, it can be handled lots of ways. What's one of your favorite licks?
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I guess I'm fortunate in that most of the times I perform this, I get lucky. Usually, I can get to the card by having the spectator spell their name or, I get very lucky and they name 4C (number 1). For those times where they name something in the middle of the deck, that I can't spell to, I have them cut off a portion (directing the cut, as Juan explains in Mnemonica), and in those cases, if I directed them well enough, they're usually three off, in either direction. In those cases, I'll use equivicol techniques (Max Maven's Multiplicity DVD is fantastic in this respect, his high/low gambit is phenomenal).

Sometimes, I just try my luck and it pays off. I performed it for a friend, who is a magician, but doesn't do mem deck work, named Chris. I go through the spiel and ask him to name his card, 7C (47). Naturally, I recognize right away that I can get to his card by dealing from the face of the deck, which would be pretty powerful, however, I gave him the option of dealing from the top or from the bottom; happily he chose the bottom.

One thing that I would suggest is finding another magician in your area who does memorized deck work and have sessions on it. A friend of mine uses the Tamariz stack too and we go back and forth with each other on Mnemonicosis. Another friend uses the Aronson stack, which is helpful because he doesn't know where it is in our stack, and gives it a more real-world feel, if that makes sense. (We also get to annoy him by shouting numbers instead of showing selections during other card tricks Smile).
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Great suggestions guys!!! I'm still just trying to learn the stack. But I'm dying to do this trick! (Or ACAAN)
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
I'm reminded of how Joshua Jay uses Aronson's "The Invisible Card" for named cards in difficult-to-get-to places.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
I mentioned something interesting about this almost exactly a year ago. It's only applicable for the Aronson stack, but perhaps Tamariz workers might be able to come up with their own ideas. Here it is:

Quote:
in addition to the spelling stack built in from positions 10 to 15, you can reach another batch of cards by spelling as follows. Turn the deck face up. You can hit the 2S and 3C by spelling and the card will now be staring you in the face. But wait that's not all! Add the word "THE" before the card name and you can land directly on the 6H and JD. But wait, that's not all! Using "THE" and counting from the face you can also hit the 4S and 10H so that the card is staring you in the face. But wait!--turn the deck back face down. You can also get to the 8C and 3S by adding "THE" and showing the next card. So that's a total of 14 named cards--more than a quarter of the deck--that you can get to with no adjustment at all. I don't believe I've seen that documented anywhere else before.

and the follow up:

Quote:
Give the Aronson one Out faro and you can spell 8 more cards using either face down or face up, last card or next card, and adding THE as needed: AS, 3H, JH, 8D, 9C, 5S, 8H, AD.
Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2577 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Stop trick is a nice handling for the toolbox. When they over cut you can do the same thing by dealing off the bottom and then start 'gliding' when you hit their card until they call stop.

Here's my favorite lick--none too original but I love using it: Get one or two specs to name a card. Cull them to the bottom of the face-down deck (I have subtle marks on a couple of cards so I never need to count higher than 12). Palm them off and produce them from a wallet.

Here's another: I've got a MD routine where, by the end, I've faro'd 8 times through and am back at my actual stack. As a finisher, I'll have someone name any card and I'll dead cut to it. I'm pretty good at nailing the cut but more importantly I've gotten good at making it look I nail the cut when I don't. For example, when undercutting I can pick up 1-4 cards off the tabled portion while making it look like the top card. In any event, I'll do this three times and end the routine.

One more: Aronson's Two Beginnings. Have a spec name a card, then spread the cards for spec #2 to pick one... they match. Unlike Aronson, I prefer not to cut the chosen card 5-10 from top then doing the Hofszinser spread cull force. Since I've got those markings on 4 cards and don't have to count very high, I use what I call a "break-less classic force". I just start spreading and CF the correct card on the spectator. Keeps me on my toes.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8488 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Nothing to do with memdecks, but - something I used for decades, still do, with a borrowed deck, is called Calculated Risk. You might want to look it up. It's in the original version of my first magic book, Close-Up Card Magic. I did not include it in my re-write of that book in The Classic Collection, Vol. 1 because I knew that too many readers were afraid to use it! Of course, afterward, I was berated by many for omitting it, screaming that it was a great effect (it is, incidentally, a sort of take-off of a Vernon thing, that he and I discussed often). Anyway, it came to mind as I scanned this thread. Best - HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8488 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
PS: The main thing that made me think of Calculated Risk was Steven's line "keeps me on my toes." Yes; a bit of actual thinking is involved with Calculated Risk.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonicosis -- Favorite Licks (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL